Linn Majik DSM - Speakers?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi

For the past couple of years I have been using a Linn Majik DSM with a Linn Majik 2100 Power Amp driving Linn Majik 140 speakers. In general I am happy with the system though would like a little more of a full sound as I Listen to mainly roc music. The Majik 140's are a great speaker but are quite detailed.

Prior to using this setup I used the previous iteration of a Linn system in the Linn Classik but with B&W speakers in 602 s3's. This seemed to work well in terms of bottom end but ironically lacked a little detail. I guess you cant have it all :).

I'm curious about the B&W CM8's and CM9's and have arranged to demo both with my Linn system next weekend. However I have heard that they are quite hard to drive - not being a techie I wonder if the Linn combo will be able to do so?

If anyone has heard this combo or has a view on its suitability I'd really welcome hearing your opinion.

Thank you.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I hadn't considered the Kef's but will have a listen to them also.

I am also keen to learn whether the CM8/9's or the 683 s2's would b ebetter for the Linn - the dealer s gonna get fit running up and down whilst I demo those *biggrin*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
Thanks. I hadn't considered the Kef's but will have a listen to them also.

I am also keen to learn whether the CM8/9's or the 683 s2's would b ebetter for the Linn - the dealer s gonna get fit running up and down whilst I demo those *biggrin*

You should always listen to as many speakers as you can.

I'm glad you will be trying the Kefs....IMO. It is one of those combinations that just works. I never liked Linn with Kef.s older IQ/XQ/Previous Refs. It was the R Series that got me to appreciate how well the MDSM could sound.

Let us know how it goes.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Well, in the end I decided to upgrade my cable to Linn cable and also buy the upgraded stands for the Linn Majik speakers. It's made ' a difference' but am stull undecided whether the sound os rich enough for me. In a small room in my house I recently got hold of a Marantz CR10 and some B&W 686's and, to be honest, that's the kind of sound I want - I know the minute I put it on that it's got the degree of bottom end that I want.

So....I feel a further demo coming on and the Majik 140's going up for sale. The only issue I am doubting is whether making the Majik 140's Aktiv or not.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Have you tried the R500s yet?

IMO. They give the scale, richness and excitement that Linn speakers lack.

I haven't yet but am tempted to arrange to demo them plus the CM8's and 683's. As I said above I am a long term B&W fan but am prepared to give the Kef's a go if they too are good with the Linn kit.

Have you heard both the Kefs and B&W's? If so what's your view of their match?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard B&Ws for a while and certainly not with Linn or the R Series...so no help I'm afraid.

Listen to both and then pick which is best for your needs.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I haven't heard B&Ws for a while and certainly not with Linn or the R Series...so no help I'm afraid.

Demo booked for Fri for Kef R500, B&W 683's and CM8's. Looking forward to it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:

Demo booked for Fri for Kef R500, B&W 683's and CM8's. Looking forward to it.

Great job.

You will soon know if I'm talking bollox, or not.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Great job.

You will soon know if I'm talking bollox, or not.

That made me laugh and, yeah, if I don't like 'em, I'll be sending you my expenses.

I have also heard great things about Spendor cabinets and read quite a bit about them last night. Anyone any views on:

( a) Them (and which floorstanders in particular given what I am after, below).

(b) Their bass capability and suitability for Rock/Prog music.

(c) Matching with Linn stuff.

Cheers.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Well, today was the day and I spent at least 3 hrs in the shop listening to various types of music. I demo'd:

Kef R500 - they are undoubtedly very good but whether it's a system match or my ears I always feel there's just that 'x factor' missing with Kefs and I felt the same here. I'm not sure how to properly articulate what I mean but they didn't have the sheer depth and presence of the others and detail was lacking. Nice, but not for me.

B&W 683 s2 - Fabulous. That trademark B&W depth and scale which effortly reproduces everything I wanted. If there's a criticism it's that they may lack a touch of finesse compared to their siblings (see below) but these were great.

Focal Aria 926 - Pleasantly surprised by these to be honest and the detail they presented was probably the best of all I listened to. Again, just lacking that bit of bottom end for me but very very good.

B&W CM8 - Immense. Everything that the 683's have in a much better cabinet and presentation. Fabulous for such a relatively small box.

B&W CM9 - Immense. Everything the CM8's do and bigger. They were probably not the incremental difference I was expecting over the CM8's so that's my decision to make - is the extra worth it over the CM8's?

So, it's the start/end of a road and I have taken the decision to change - I need to sell the Linn's and then go back and have another listen before deciding.

Fun this innit. *biggrin*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for reporting back....it's a classic case of why a demo is so important and why you can't take anyone's word for what is right for you (not even mine!). In some ways it's not surprising, as B&W and Focal would never make it through my door.

If you like what you heard, you should also try PMC and ATC.

I take it these were all heard on the end of your Linn.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Thank you for reporting back....it's a classic case of why a demo is so important and why you can't take anyone's word for what is right for you (not even mine!). In some ways it's not surprising, as B&W and Focal would never make it through my door.

Yeah they were. The only ones I didn't try were the PMC's as, to be fair to the guys in the shop, they'd already added in the Focals and CM9's to the list I originally went for. I'm just too polite sometimes *stop*

When I was in there I was also spying the Naim stuff and wondering how that would sound with them too. And then I came home and re-listened to the same stuff on my 140's and they sounded great. Now I'm REALLY undecided.

Just out of interest what is it about B&W/Focal that you don't like?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
Yeah they were. The only ones I didn't try were the PMC's as, to be fair to the guys in the shop, they'd already added in the Focals and CM9's to the list I originally went for. I'm just too polite sometimes *stop*

When I was in there I was also spying the Naim stuff and wondering how that would sound with them too. And then I came home and re-listened to the same stuff on my 140's and they sounded great. Now I'm REALLY undecided.

I find Focal just a little forward and fatiguing over longer periods.....though the Arias have improved that a bit.

I have just never clicked with B&W. Those that I've heard have had a slightly harsh treble and bass that was a bit heavy for my taste.

I'm more on the Spendor/Harbeth side of things....but I do like all the speakers that have descended from the Blades.

Given you like the 140s, I'm surprised by your findings....maybe it's to do with your room?

My advice - Do a lot of listening to a variety of different stuff before committing.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I find Focal just a little forward and fatiguing over longer periods.....though the Arias have improved that a bit.

I have just never clicked with B&W. Those that I've heard have had a slightly harsh treble and bass that was a bit heavy for my taste.

I'm more on the Spendor/Harbeth side of things....but I do like all the speakers that have descended from the Blades.

Given you like the 140s, I'm surprised by your findings....maybe it's to do with your room?

My advice - Do a lot of listening to a variety of different stuff before committing.

I just need to be careful that I am not seeking out something that doesn't exist really. The CM8/9 were great but, in hindsight I wish I had A/B'd them in the shop both between them and alternately with my Majik 140's; daft as that sounds. As with every change you gain something and lose something I guess.

The guy in the shop (and a big plug for Audio T in Manchester today by the way) was really good - he uses Neat stuff personally. I didn't listen to them, just looked. They were tiny!

I am lucky that I don't tend to rush decisions like this so I'll probably pester a few more places for demos before deciding whether to change. My other option is to biy a Majik 6100 instead and go fully Aktiv but, again, I am not sure what this would actually give me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you make the right change, the gain should be a lot more than marginal....and certainly better than different. Make sure that what sounds exciting in the shop, isn't tiring over a long session. Neat could be a good choice, as might, GamuT, Tannoy and Kudos (I think they have the ex-Neat designer - Derek Gilligan).

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
If you make the right change, the gain should be a lot more than marginal....and certainly better than different. Make sure that what sounds exciting in the shop, isn't tiring over a long session. Neat could be a good choice, as might, GamuT, Tannoy and Kudos (I think they have the ex-Neat designer - Derek Gilligan).

Agree and I think that's why I am hesitating to be honest. The speakers I have demo'd today are all, largely, in the same price bracket as the Linn's - it could therefore be argued that I am 'swapping' them rather than 'upgrading' them. Maybe it would take a step up into the £2k - £3k bracket to see a difference?

That would probably open up a whole new range of opportunities.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:
We'll be here to help you spend your money when the time comes.

I know. It's your obsession with Kefs that cost me £18 quid to park today!
My last trip cost me £50.....I parked in an empty "pay and display" car park, but had a wheel touching the white line. Some effer of a traffic warden gave me a ticket (for taking up 2 spaces).....there is a cost to this hobby, ya know!

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
As an aside, and as I mentioned earlier, I was having a squiz at the Naim stuff today and thie evening have got second system fever by researching the Uniti 2.

Have you any views on the Naim stuff? If I build a second system I may use that or go down the more traditional route of amp + streamer but not sure how all that hangs together....I may be calling in the 18 quid you owe me *biggrin*

E.g If I bought a Marantz amp and speakers what would I need to plug into the back of that to stream the music from my NAS or even something like Spotify? How does everything connect up? I'd be controlling it from iPad/MacBook/iMac etc.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:

Cno doesn't like Focals, but I love 'em. - I auditioned lots of speakers before settling on my 1008Be's. They are very neutral and detailed with bass a-plenty, all very well integrated. That said, I have a KEF itch I need to scratch and I'm off to audition some new Reference 1's with my Devialet 200. (I'm after a turntable really - SME 20/3 - and that's the purpose of the audition, but I'm going to listen to the whole lot together!).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
As an aside, and as I mentioned earlier, I was having a squiz at the Naim stuff today and thie evening have got second system fever by researching the Uniti 2.

Have you any views on the Naim stuff? If I build a second system I may use that or go down the more traditional route of amp + streamer but not sure how all that hangs together....I may be calling in the 18 quid you owe me *biggrin*

E.g If I bought a Marantz amp and speakers what would I need to plug into the back of that to stream the music from my NAS or even something like Spotify? How does everything connect up? I'd be controlling it from iPad/MacBook/iMac etc.

I owned a Naim 42/110/Snaps in the 80s and I liked its synergy with the LP12. Rolling forward to the present, I haven't enjoyed them (at a variety of prices), especially when matched with Focal......but that should have no bearing on what you will like.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
[Cno doesn't like Focals, but I love 'em. - I auditioned lots of speakers before settling on my 1008Be's. They are very neutral and detailed with bass a-plenty, all very well integrated. That said, I have a KEF itch I need to scratch and I'm off to audition some new Reference 1's with my Devialet 200. (I'm after a turntable really - SME 20/3 - and that's the purpose of the audition, but I'm going to listen to the whole lot together!).

I 'kinda' liked them. They just didn't quite have enough bottom end clout for me but I must admit to being pleasantly surprised.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts