Question linear power supply for a turntable

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Hi guy's im thinking of upgrading my power supply for my project experience 2 turntable I just have the plug type that came with the deck. Was wondering is there any benefit to changing over to a linear power supply is it worth spending the money on? anyone have one/use one?.

cheers Alun

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Was kind of thinking the same thing ive read posts where people are saying its made loads of difference to the sound of the Deck but i cant really see how it would.

Was kind of thinking the same thing ive read posts where people are saying its made loads of difference to the sound of the Deck but i cant really see how it would.
Some people might perceive an improvement in sound quality but how much of that is expectation bias is anyone's guess.
As always the biggest differences will come from an improved cartridge.

Reactions: speedthing

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Supplied walwart from project just to get you started
They always offered PSU upgrades ( High Power it & Power Box ) £50-£900

Anything in the mains plugged into your hifi will l eventually make it to your speakers
Hi yes that is a good point id not be 100 % sure i could really tell if it made a difference.

Last edited:
I think what i was thinking was more stable voltage supply that it would give a more stable speed etc.
I’d have to read up again on the technicalities, but turntable motors can be DC or AC designs, and some have regulators or other devices after the power supply to control speed.

Given what turntables are trying to do, namely recover microscopic wiggles from a groove, then attention to levelling, suitable mounting, and arm settings can often reap benefits. And with mains, a cleaner supply may indirectly benefit the nearby amplifier and phono stage, if less noise is injected into the mains itself. So, overall the outcome may be better, just not for the reasons we originally thought.

Reactions: Al ears

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
I’d have to read up again on the technicalities, but turntable motors can be DC or AC designs, and some have regulators or other devices after the power supply to control speed.

Given what turntables are trying to do, namely recover microscopic wiggles from a groove, then attention to levelling, suitable mounting, and arm settings can often reap benefits. And with mains, a cleaner supply may indirectly benefit the nearby amplifier and phono stage, if less noise is injected into the mains itself. So, overall the outcome may be better, just not for the reasons we originally thought.
Ok that's interesting to know ive always wondered if it was something worth doing ive been doing a bit of reading up on the subject and i dont think that i will really benefit from a it.

Ok that's interesting to know ive always wondered if it was something worth doing ive been doing a bit of reading up on the subject and i dont think that i will really benefit from a it.
The thing is that results with power supplies, in my experience, are very location specific. Your mains, your kit, your wiring layout, and so on. And that’s aside from any change it might bring to the turntable itself, real or imagined.

A noise sniffer can be an interesting thing to try, if you have any misgivings about mains. A few years ago, in our previous house, the biggest source of noise was my integrated amplifier. But if I plugged in the Sony TV nearby, the mains noise almost vanished. I concluded that the Sony had devices on the input which ‘sucked’ the noise away to improve the screen performance.

Reactions: speedthing

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts