Linear PCM or Bitstream Help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i hope someone can answer this one for me failry quickly.

System:

PS3, Yamaha RX-V3800, M&K (K7 * 4, K4 * 2 and KX-10), Loewe Xelos A26, Denon DVD-1920, Pace DS810-XE, Wireworld Starlight 5.2 * 3 hdmi cables

Question:

1. My receiver supports the new hd audio formats, but i am not sure which audio setting the PS3 should bet set to, linear pcm or bitstream?

2. Also could someone tell me what the fundamental difference between these two types of audio settings is?

3. Finally what audio settings should i set my denon dvd-player to, Bitstream or PCM?

Look forward to reading the replies

A

Anonymous

1. Bitstream
2. Bitstream is raw digital stream. It can contain miscellaneous data types: linear PCM, DD, DTS, DTS-HD etc. Linear PCM (LPCM) is only one type of digital signal (subset of bitstream). On audio sources this setting is usually used by reason of compatibilty with older devices. In this case all types of audio signal will be converted to LPCM (DD, DTS etc.) because LPCM mode is supported with all devices.
3. Bitstream

A

Anonymous

My setup is as below.

I currently have the PS3 set to output Linear PCM. Should I change it to bitstream then? Is that better?

A

Anonymous

PS3 should really be set to Linear PCM otherwise you wont get the uncompressed LPCM tracks, you'll only get DD or DTS.

Don't forget PS3 can't output DTS Master HD or DD TrueHD it has to decode them and then pass them as uncompressed LPCM. AND it can't even do DTS Master HD yet, you'll get the base Core DTS soundtrack.

Best way to check is to play a movie on PS3, get the display up and check the bitrates, cycle through the available soundtracks and also change between bitstream/Linear, you can do all this with the film playing. I'll bet you'll see the best bitrates via Linear. I certainly do.

R

A

Anonymous

That is what I thought, but the chap above is saying that linear PCM is a 'sub-category' of bitstream and as I understand it will still play PCM even when the PS3 is set to bitstream.

A

Anonymous

I don't know about the sub category bit but just checked 300 on Blu Ray

Tracks 1 and 2 via bitstream DD5.1 640kbps

Track 1 DD5.1 640 kbps over Linear

Track 2 Dolby True HD 1.5 - 2.7 mbps was seen over linear

So over HDMI Linear was clearly superior for the PS3. Optical does DD/DTS and PCM 2 ch only.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts