Sony IS100 and PS3 - Help Please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can someone help please? I recently took the plunge to buy the Sony IS100 Home cinema system to complement my 40W4000 and PS3. I have the PS3 going straight into the IS100 via a Van Den Hul HDMI, as that is my current Blu-Ray Player, and then another Van Den Hul HDMI and digital optical going from the IS100 into the TV.

However, I am totally confused with regards to the best settings for the PS3 to get the best from it for Blu ray / DVD. Should I go for PCM or linear, what should I make bitstream, what are the best video settings?

Been round the noticeboards and feel even more confused! Any guidance would be great help.

Cheers.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Set your PS3 up as follows:

Select Sound Settings

Select HDMI

Select Auto

Ensure that all Dolby Digital, DTS and all PCM are checked

Save the settings (X)

Go to the BD/DVD settings

Select PCM as the audio output format

Save Settings (X)

Bitstream doesn't apply in this case as you want the PS3 to decode (it can't bitstream HD audio)

Picture settings will depend on your TV. Choose the best resolution that matches your TV and if has 24fps, turn that on etc. The picture settings by default are fine imho. Obviously calibrate your TV accordingly and there is a handy video guide for that on the main WHF site.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, best bet for the following settings (IMO). Under Video Settings:
BD Internet Connection - Assuming you have PS3 hooked into a network or wireless network, set to Allow to ensure you can get access to any BD Live content should you wish to.
BD / DVD Cinema Conversion - Set to Automatic.
BD / DVD Upscaler - Set to Normal. This ensures the best picture for DVD playback.
BD / DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) - Set to Automatic.
BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI) - Set to Automatic since TV is 24fps compatible.
BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) - Set to Linear PCM when watching Blu-Rays - this will ensure HD audio formats are decoded properly to be received by your Sony system. You can optionally switch this to Bitstream when playing DVDs - this will send the Dolby Digital or DTS signal to the Sony for decoding. Try both for DVDs and see which you prefer, just remember to switch back to Linear PCM when watching a Blu-Ray with an HD audio soundtrack.
On Display Settings:
Video Output Settings - For your 40W4000, you want this to have all boxes ticked as it supports all the resolutions.
RGB Full Range (HDMI) - Most people say Limited is better but try both and see which you prefer.
Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI) - Try this set to On, if it doesn't look right, try Off and stick with the one you prefer.
On Audio Settings:
Audio Output Settings - I'm pretty sure you just want to ensure all these boxes are ticked and then everything should work hunky dory!
This thread links to a good post which explains virtually all the settings much better than I have here if you're curious.

A

Anonymous

Dear d4v3pum4 and professorhat,

Many, many thanks for your help. Wishing you both a very merry christmas and a happy and prosperous 2009.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts