Last Orders.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Taking the theme from an earlier post, that you should be aiming high with 'speakers, would appreciate last opinions on new 'speakers.

l'm just about set on a pair of Epos M5i's, powered by bi amped Arcams.

Any other suggestions of something better?

They must be:-
  • a standmounter (small ish)
  • Bi wire/amp able
  • magnetically shielded.
Thanks

A

Anonymous

What's your budget?

I have to throw the Rainmaker into the ring though. Extremely musical speaker, and you get pretty much the best bass performance in the standmounter field.

A

Anonymous

Budget......... let's say is flexible.

Given that the M5i are around £420, anything that's considered better, l would consider; up to approx' £800 (ish!)

l noticed a nice pair of Rainmakers on eBay not so long ago.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Up to £800, I have to say audition the Dali Ikon 6 (I have them - extremely detailed, best floorstanderI have heard up to ~ £1000 (not that many I'll admit)) - And very well reviewed by WHF (if thats important)

A

Anonymous

Oh forgot to ask Ray, l had heard that the Rainmakers were a little bright in their presentation, something l don't particularly want, coming from a pair of Monitor Audio RS1's.

A

Anonymous

frOg,

thanks for that, though the spec' is standmounter.

Perhaps the Ikon 2?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="chesterfieldhouse"]
frOg,

thanks for that, though the spec' is standmounter.

Perhaps the Ikon 2?
[/quote]

Oops... Indeed. The Ikon 2's are fantastic. I had them home for about 3 days, and loved them. In the end though I just preferred the extra bass the floorstanders gave me. The high level detail of the 2's though is quite amazing imo.

Just to add - when I tested them, I was using an Arcam A80. And also had the B&W 685's to try, and the Dalis were on another level entirely.

A

Anonymous

Yes, l remember having a listen to some Ikon 2's last year sometime & l recall that they were very detailed.

l know what you mean about the extra bass, though that's not a priority for me. The 2's are a fairly large standmount, front ported etc

Do you know if they are biwire/amp able & are magnetically shielded?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="chesterfieldhouse"]
Yes, l remember having a listen to some Ikon 2's last year sometime & l recall that they were very detailed.

l know what you mean about the extra bass, though that's not a priority for me. The 2's are a fairly large standmount, front ported etc

Do you know if they are biwire/amp able & are magnetically shielded?
[/quote]

definitely bi-wire/ampable. Not sure about magnetic shielding - but unless they are gonna surround a CRT then I wouldn't think think that would matter?

A

Anonymous

l know it's a pain, but the room they are going to be in, one of the 'speakers is close to a CRT telly.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures. I have them with biamped Arcam and it's a nice combo. Also try PMC DB1i.[/quote]

...And with stands that'll be around a grand... And what happened to the Ikons?

A

Anonymous

They could be... I've never heard that complaint about the rainmakers. On Arcam they should sound marvellous. I'd audition.

A

Anonymous

ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signature's would be one of my first choices.

Unfortunately, they aren't magnetically shielded.

When it comes down to it, not many 'speakers tick all the boxes, apart from the Epos m5i.

(Still trying to find out if the Dali Ikon 2 is shielded)

A

Anonymous

I'd still recommend auditioning the rainmakers. You've got the same criteria I had. One of mine is 3 inches from the side of my tubetv and there's no effect.

A

Anonymous

Give the monitor audio GS-10's an audition, they always get glowing reports...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts