Lack of inputs on current DACs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been reading alot of reviews of DACs recently and I find the number of inputs to be woefully inadequate for my needs.

I am looking for a DAC to connect my DVD player, Freeview PVR, Sky box, PS3, Network Media Player and DAB tuner. Looking at the DACs featured in this month's group test in HFC none has a enough for my needs. Some only have two inputs but it never gets mentioned in the reviews.

I look forward to your thoughts.

A

Anonymous

A Supernait isn't an option as I don't want to change my amplifier.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Buy two DACs.

Maybe an expensive one (for critical sound quality stuff) and something like a Beresford for the not so critical applications.

A Benchmark DAC1 USB or DAC1 Pre + Beresford would get you a great pre-amp, world class headphone amp (2 sockets), 1x RCA Phono (analogue) input, 3x optical inputs, 3x coax inputs, and a 24bit/96khz capable USB input.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The CA DacMagic has 5 inputs (2 coax, 2 optical, 1 USB). If you buy one or two of these in addition:

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cables/Toslink-Optical-Switch.html

Assuming at least 4 of your 6 sources have optical out then you're sorted.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to sound like a broken record but have a look at S T E L L O
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I've done some more research and have a drawn a blank.

Chebby: Getting two DACs as you suggested isn't possible because it would mean changing my rack (which I don't want to do) and also I don't have any spare inputs on my amp. Besides I don't want to have to two components like that.

a.g.: The Cambridge Audio DacMagic may have 2 coaxial and 2 optical but you can only have two devices of each type connected according to the manual.

Thaiman: The Stello DA100 only has 1 Coaxial, 2 Optical, 1 USB.

Most of my components are connected using coaxial and of course I could get some optical switches and some optical to coaxial convertors but again this isn't practical since there will be no doubt degradation of sound quality and also it isn't practical in terms of having lots of extra boxes and having to buy lots of additional cables.

So I come back to the question why don't manufacturers simple put more inputs on their DACs. Surely it wouldn't increase the cost too much? Also I've read alot of reviews of DACs recently in several magazines: What HiFi, HiFi Choice, Hi-Fi+ and none ever mention the constraint the number of inputs current DACs have.

Even without listening to the DacMagic I do not think it deserves a 5 star review on the basis that only two devices can be connected.

John Duncan

Breeder:Even without listening to the DacMagic I do not think it deserves a 5 star review on the basis that only two devices can be connected.

Tuh. Firstly, if we'd been having this conversation a couple of years ago it would have been a short one, since there wouldn't have been any DACs to talk about (not affordable ones anyway). When everybody wakes up to the idea, there'll be amps with built in DACs for all inputs all over the shop. But until that point, you're stuck with what there is.

Secondly, though I haven't tried it, in contrast to the manual I think the DACMagic will accept two inputs into one channel, as long as you only play one at a time (and I might try it later if I have time). So there's two coax, two digital and one USB for you......

T

the record spot

Breeder:

Also I've read alot of reviews of DACs recently in several magazines: What HiFi, HiFi Choice, Hi-Fi+ and none ever mention the constraint the number of inputs current DACs have.

This month's HFC has a group test on four DACs and mentions the rear inputs I think. I skimmed over that article (more intersted in the Yamaha review to be fair), but am sure they zeroed in on the rear panels and available input options (XLR, RCA, etc).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. 2 coaxial and 2 optical inputs still wouldn't solve my issue.

The Bryston BDA-1 might - it has:

USB (1), COAX (2), OPTICAL (2) AES-EBU (1) BNC (2)

http://bryston.com/bda1_m.html

Coaxial (RCA) to BNC cables do exist but not from any of the major manufacurers from what I can tell. I could use a RCA to BNC adaptor and I assume that the effect on the sound quality which be much less than a switching unit. I did find this one which looked reasonable:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97934&&source=14&doy=Search

But it got me wondering why neither DACs nor switching units have a remote control!

The Bryston isn't exactly cheap but my budget was alot more than the price bracket that the DacMagic, Beresford was in. Not to mention that it looks alot nicer.

nads

Breeder:I am looking for a DAC to connect my Freeview PVR, Sky box,

will it make an improvement? and why? are these not multi chanel sound sources and the DAC's take digi stereo and out put analouge stereo.

Or am i missing something?

A

Anonymous

Yes you are missing something. All those devices I listed in my original post apart from the DAB tuner and DVD player currently only have audio through the TV. I do not have enough inputs on my Krell amp to do connect them using analogue. By using a DAC I'm making it physically possible to connect them to my hi-fi and improve the sound quality (over connecting them directly using analogue interconnects).

nads:
Breeder:I am looking for a DAC to connect my Freeview PVR, Sky box,

will it make an improvement? and why? are these not multi chanel sound sources and the DAC's take digi stereo and out put analouge stereo.

Or am i missing something?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Ah, now I see the issue - sound quality.

Most of the DACs listed will have their faults highlighted by your Krell, but TBH, with the digital output from the Sky/Freeview/DAB, I don't think an optical switcher would make a huge sound quality difference from the standard - all three are highly compressed and as such are hardly in the Krell league...

Apart from that, I don't know of anything that can service your needs apart from the one you mentioned - sorry!

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Breeder:a.g.: The Cambridge Audio DacMagic may have 2 coaxial and 2 optical but you can only have two devices of each type connected according to the manual.

The manual lies (trust me, I've tried it). You just need to switch off things when you're not using them so they don't produce a signal.

John Duncan

a.g.:Breeder:a.g.: The Cambridge Audio DacMagic may have 2 coaxial and 2 optical but you can only have two devices of each type connected according to the manual.

The manual lies (trust me, I've tried it). You just need to switch off things when you're not using them so they don't produce a signal.

Well I just tried it and with both connected the coax appears to work but the optical doesn't.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I own the DacMagic and is very satisfied, but I agree to some extent about the inputs.

I would ex. much rather have seen a HDMI input instead of either the balanced output or the USB input.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Peter Larsen:I would ex. much rather have seen a HDMI input instead of either the balanced output or the USB input.

Drop balanced XLRs and have HDMI yes. But getting rid of the USB would alienate virtually every PC/laptop user. Would be no good for maximising their potential user base.

USB is considered good enough for Stello, dCs Scarlatti (£6500 upsampler!), Benchmark, Chord, Bel-Canto, Cambridge Audio, Musical Fidelity, PS Audio, and even Cyrus soon (if the rumours about the up-coming Cyrus USB equipped DAC are true).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts