Kimber Hero Analogue Interconnect

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Ive been contemplating changing my Ixos XHA806 interconnects for the Kimber Timbre, now although the current interconnects im using sound great (just going through a curiosity upgrade)im just wandering what improvements the Timbre may bring over it. But i see that theres a new cable Kimber Hero and the reviews say its much better than that of the Timbre? Does anybody have any experience with the Timbre or even better Hero? And is the differences between the two worth the upgrade. These are for my CDP btw Thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I havnt. But all kimbers cables tend to sound bright and unnatural

Id be looking at altas cables personally, especially OCC copper conductor ones (ebays good at the moment)

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:
I havnt. But all kimbers cables tend to sound bright and unnatural

Id be looking at altas cables personally, especially OCC copper conductor ones (ebays good at the moment)

Thanks for the info Rik, as always your remarks are taken on board mate.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have always liked kimber cables, I have also used chord, nordost, ixos, eichmann, vandenhul siltech etc.

I use 2 kimber pbj in my system and I have been told by a hifi shop and distributer have nearly a identical sound to the timbre. If that is the case timbre would be excellent.

The kimber pbj are slightly on the lean side but detailed. The kimber hero are warmer and fuller, more laid back, wider soundstage with slightly rolled off top end and a little smoother. The pbj is a little more open at the top end and perhaps a slightly more exciting interconnect overall and a little more punchy in the bass. It maybe a little bright on an already bright system, but on a fairly balance one it beat my vandenhul 102, IXOS, chord crimson and cobra on my system.

The chord chameloen would also be a good choice, I prefer that to the hero, I think its a bit more open especially at the top end.

Cheers

Steve

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
stephennic:
Hi,

I have always liked kimber cables, I have also used chord, nordost, ixos, eichmann, vandenhul siltech etc.

I use 2 kimber pbj in my system and I have been told by a hifi shop and distributer have nearly a identical sound to the timbre. If that is the case timbre would be excellent.

The kimber pbj are slightly on the lean side but detailed. The kimber hero are warmer and fuller, more laid back, wider soundstage with slightly rolled off top end and a little smoother. The pbj is a little more open at the top end and perhaps a slightly more exciting interconnect overall and a little more punchy in the bass. It maybe a little bright on an already bright system, but on a fairly balance one it beat my vandenhul 102, IXOS, chord crimson and cobra on my system.

The chord chameloen would also be a good choice, I prefer that to the hero, I think its a bit more open especially at the top end.

Cheers

Steve

Well thankyou very much for that detailed insight stephennic, most helpful. So did you used to use the same IXOS model as mine then?

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

No I used a budget IXOS interconnect about 10 years ago (don't remember the model number)- it was around $ 80-100 AUS, approx 30 pounds. The kimber pbj was certaintly an upgrade - more open and detailed. I used IXOs speaker leads to at around $20m but found the mids to forward. I then changed to kimber 4vs at that stage and it was more balanced tonally. Since then I tried QED, Chord, Amber, Eichmann and then finally upgraded to Kimber 8tc which I am very pleased with.

If you read some older reviews what hifi gave the timbre 5 stars, and so did hifi choice ( see techradar) website.

Cheers

Steve.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I used a pair of Silver Streak I/Cs for about 5 years. Due to needing 2 matching pairs of I/Cs, I recently moved to my current Atlas Titans.

I won't be going back. The Kimber's were a great cable, but a bit lean. The Titan's are much more rounded without sounding dull or woolly. If you've got a dull sound, or your bass is too boomy, definitely give the Kimber's a try.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:
I used a pair of Silver Streak I/Cs for about 5 years. Due to needing 2 matching pairs of I/Cs, I recently moved to my current Atlas Titans.

I won't be going back. The Kimber's were a great cable, but a bit lean. The Titan's are much more rounded without sounding dull or woolly. If you've got a dull sound, or your bass is too boomy, definitely give the Kimber's a try.

Exactly as I found Chris. The silver streaks are just too forward. The van damme UP LC-OFC cables which were FAR cheaper sounded so much better to my ears. The Titans do sound very natural (Which ive put between my cd player and pre amp). That said, the titan did cost a hell of a lot more than the silver streaks when they first came out.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have used Chord Cobra, Van Den Hul D102 III and now the Kimber Silver Streak.

The Kimber one is far away better than the other two - but then it cost more but it isnt overly bright in my system just a tad more revealing and if anything a smoother and better balanced sound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts