Future upgrades

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, ive been lurking these forums for a while now and thought now would be a good time to start posting.

Ive been a lonng time follower of the scene but funds have not allowed me to follow it in a fashion that some of you do![:(]

Anyway im hopefully, touch wood, going to came into some money for my 30th aswell as work picking up and my wife finishing off her student loan.

Now this is going to take a gradual upgrade over the next 12-24 months but was wondering if you could give me some help in the order of upgrading.

This is my upgrade plan in no perticular order. Check my bio, these were good speakers at the time but what and how much would it take to get better and how much difference would it be

Sub £200-350

Rears £50-150

Fronts £250-400

Centre £150- 250

Stands £50-100

2 Chanel Amp £250-400

CDP £250-400

DAC Magic

Listen to %75-25 in favor of films although giving a good system i would listen to alot of music from the beatles to jay-z. I like a broad range of music bar cheesy pop music.

So what order would you advise me to go for and be free to alter my budget within means as im just a working class hero!!!!

A

Anonymous

I would suggest looking at the new Monitor Audio BRX range, these speakes should match your Yamaha 765 nicely and come in on budget.

In terms of CD Player I believe the Marantz CD6003 gets good reviews, although I have never heard one myself, and logically the 2 Channel Amp the PM6003 would be a good match asthetically.

I am not sure the 765 has pre-outs, but I may be wrong, if not you may require 2 sets of front speakers or some sort of speaker switch, but I don't know if the second option would be a good idea.

Hope this helps, I would go for the front speakers plus sub first if you can, just my opinion though.

A

Anonymous

Hey guys

Iïd like to ask you for your opinion:

What would be the better combination:

Pioneer VSX-920 + JAMO A 102 HCS 5 6.1 set (325 Euros)

Pioneer VSX-920 + Boston Acoustics SoundWareXS 7.1 set (455 Euros)

The room is cca 6x5 meters, watching movies will prevail..

Both of them are award winners at What Hi-Fi, I`m just little bit hesitant about the JAMOs and their actual power, especially at 6 ohms...BAs are 8 ohms, whereas JAMOs
are 6 ohms..

I havenït gotten a chance to try them up yet, will do so soon..just out
of curiosity, what would you prefer yourself?

Thanks a lot

A

Anonymous

Cheers markjaspi, yeah i had my eyes on the MA BR's for a while now and the new BX range look the part. Do you think they would be much difference between the older BR2's and the new BX2's? The BR2's are £90 cheaper.

Also do you think i should add the sub first? I live in a terraced house and our walls are quite thin, most of our film watching is done on an evening and i dont want to keep turning the sub down, or will it actually improve the sound making the bass less harsh.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chrissy

I too would suggest the Monitor Audio BX range. This range is going to be available as of next week and wil run for a good few years, allowing you to upgrade slowly. The current BR range is now outgoing, so if you went for that you would need to upgrade quicker before stocks run out. An alternative to look at is the new Acoustic Energy Neo V2 range.

I'd go with the Marantz suggestion, although you could also look at the Rega alternatives (Brio amp and Apollo CD) if you're feeling adventurous. There's also the new Audiolab 8200 range when it emerges shortly.

As you're more movie biased, I'd change your speakers first (front 3 would be the most important) then move in to the hi-fi.

A

Anonymous

Cheers David, im off on holiday next week and when i get back it my 30th birthday
emotion-19.gif
so ill have a better idea of my budget for an upgrade. It looks like a tossup between the front 3 speakers or a sub, no doubt i'll change my mind many a time, but i like the idea of changing the front 3 and moving my current fronts to the rears as im not happy with the rear speakers. But then I also think im missing out not having a sub!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You are missing out not having a sub, but you've done without one thus far, so I'd improve the main speakers and add the sub last. If you really want one, change the front three, then add a sub before changing your rear speakers.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
You are missing out not having a sub,

Can you have a word with my missus please?

but you've done without one thus far, so I'd improve the main speakers and add the sub last.

Oh no, don't tell her that!

If you really want one, change the front three, then add a sub before changing your rear speakers.

David, what do think of the Rel T3? It's only ickle but it's got all the connections anyone could want and I think it's small enough to get SOA but I was wondering what it sounded like, hopefully given the size of the driver it'll be quite musical?

TRENDING THREADS