Kef R500 and Monitor Audio RX6

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I have only heard rx6 but I would imagine the r500 would be superior as they are the next level up with the rx6 being more comparable to q500.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Lo Fi said:
Also how do the B&W CM8s compare with the MA RX6

What amp are you using?

I believe MAs need some careful matching to avoid problems. If you do a search on this forum you will no doubt find some posts about it.

traianescu

May 26, 2013
Visit site
great! the same, i am still thinking what to choose: ma rx6 or kef r500.

first i thought to pair rx6 with marantz sr7007, then i thought to still buy the marantz but to pair with r500. but, i'm not sure how it sounds with kef. Is it fine marantz with kef or do i have to change for example to pioneer - sc lx 56. I want to add a subwoofer too, but as far as i know the mcacc from pioneer does not EQ the subwoofer. So, is it worth to spend EUR 500 more for the Kef (that's the difference here in Italy between these speakers, both black piano)

:help:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Can you hear them with your amp? Thats the best way, home demo is even better. I assume you have the right size room to place these speakers? Rooms and placement are a big factor.

traianescu

May 26, 2013
Visit site
yes, the room is not small - 7,20 meters X 4,50 meters. But i don't have any place where to hear the kef with marantz. Is it fine to pair them or it is something to avoid ? Also, does it worth the money these r500 ?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I don't know the Marantz 7007 thats an AV receiver? The only Marantz I heard is the Pearl Lite, that may work with the Kefs but speakers are down to personal preference so its impotant to try before buying or to be able to exchange it they don't work out.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Lo Fi said:

What amp are you using?

I believe MAs need some careful matching to avoid problems. If you do a search on this forum you will no doubt find some posts about it.

I have an Arcam A19 with the RX6s and still finding some recordings too sibilant.

I have a laminate floor which probably does not help, source is an Audiolab 8200CDP

Trying to find out if CM8s or R500s are smoother

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Lo Fi said:
BigH said:
Lo Fi said:

What amp are you using?

I have an Arcam A19 with the RX6s and still finding some recordings too sibilant. I have a laminate floor which probably does not help, source is an Audiolab 8200CDP Trying to find out if CM8s or R500s are smoother

I have read a few reports of slight problems with the A19 high notes. I have not heard the RX6s I avoided them because of the metal tweeters and reports of harshness by some users. I think the Kefs would be better. Best to buy a rug for your laminate or have a carpet instead.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
traianescu said:
marantz sr7007 is an AV Receiver, with 2 channels active it reached 125 watts, 8 ohms, as from lab measurements.

That does not mean much. There was a debate a few weeks ago about receivers v amps and many believed that amps were better for sound quality, if you only need 2 channel why have a 7.1?

Lo Fi said:
BigH said:
Lo Fi said:

What amp are you using?

I have an Arcam A19 with the RX6s and still finding some recordings too sibilant. I have a laminate floor which probably does not help, source is an Audiolab 8200CDP Trying to find out if CM8s or R500s are smoother

MAs can be system sensitive. Given you have laminate flooring you have three basic choices: 1) Change the Audiolab to something a little smoother like Arcam CD37 or 2) Look for warmer speakers such as the Kefs or Dynaudio. Or 3) Both.

traianescu

May 26, 2013
Visit site
a thought to choose an av receveiver because i need to downmix the sounds from 5.1 to 2.1, for example when i'm watching a movie from bluray. Also, it's easier for my wife when watching TV, with hdmi cec activated, she will use only one remote to turn on the tv, switch channels, up/down the volume with the same remote, etc. I'm unsure how easy could be with an universal remote, like Logitech Harmony. Plus, i am not able to listen in my own house the speakers, so i don't know if i need something like audyssey to correct the sound or will be fine in pure/direct mode. The only good stereo amp (2.1) with some room correction is Harman Kardon 990, rated 150 watts, but it cost a lot more than i thought to spend. It is like 1600/1700 euro and i want to stop to 1000 euro :wall:

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Really need to keep the Audiolab as I use the onboard DAC for TV and Blu Ray Player etc.
But obviously could change speakers but are Kef R500s or B&W CM8s smoother at the top end.
Big H I do have a rug between speakers and seating.

Lo Fi said:
Really need to keep the Audiolab as I use the onboard DAC for TV and Blu Ray Player etc. But obviously could change speakers but are Kef R500s or B&W CM8s smoother at the top end. Big H I do have a rug between speakers and seating.

AFAIK B&W have hard domed tweeters too. A good match for Arcam would be PMC GB1is. They have a twinkly top-end but their soft tweeters keeps the HFs under control. Alternatively, perhaps Spendor S5 or the newer A5 could fit your needs nicely.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I've said it before a few times so forgive me repeating myself but the Kef R series are superb speakers and are a great match for Lofi's Arcam amp. I was fortunate enough to listen to them with the A19 which I feel is a bit more excitable in the treble than my A28 but still had a warm room filling sound with an unrivalled soundstage.

The R500s are brilliant too though I have not heard the on the end of an A/V amp.

traianescu

May 26, 2013
Visit site
nobody tried an a/v receiver with r500 ?

is it marantz sr7007 too warm ? it's better pioneer sc 2023/ sc-lx56 ? how about denon - 3313 or x4000 with Audyssey xt32 ? maybe onkyo 828 ?

i just tried to stay with the cost for the a/v receiver to 1000 euro...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Lo Fi said:

The R500's will be smoother.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Lo Fi said:
Really need to keep the Audiolab as I use the onboard DAC for TV and Blu Ray Player etc. But obviously could change speakers but are Kef R500s or B&W CM8s smoother at the top end. Big H I do have a rug between speakers and seating.

Make sure the rug is in the right place - put a mirror on the rug and move it so that you can see the HF units in the mirror from your listening position. If it isn't in this place, it's effects may well be null and void.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the R500s as surrounds, but when I bought them I stuck them on my Hi Fi because I was curious to hear them with my amp, and they are really good, smooth and tight, great soundstage, not at all harsh or sibilant. Just my 2 pennies worth :)

traianescu

May 26, 2013
Visit site
well, a hard job for pioneer :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

but still i have to know how sounds R500 with marantz sr7007 and denon 3313 or x4000 :pray:

TRENDING THREADS