Kef R500 and Monitor Audio RX6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

traianescu

May 26, 2013
Visit site
well, WAF factor :shhh: R500 looks fine, black piano, aluminium, etc.. :rofl: :rofl:

then an a/v receiver is a must (the same, black).. the marantz sr7007 passed the WAF test, but this one maybe is the same, warm like the Kef :doh:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hifi is a subjective business, so "what's best" is determined by personal taste, system matching, room acoustics and speaker positioning etc.......it is worth remembering that most definitive statements are little more than opinions. Despite all that, the R500s are better. :shifty: ;)

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Hifi-world said about the Kef R500:

A couple of niggles such as a slight 'zing' to the treble and a bit of occasional boxiness can't ruin what is a superb speaker in Hi-Fi World's opinion.

But still the treble........

I've had the R300 for demo at home. That is a a very dark. dull sounding speaker. And i have a modern room with wooden floor. I like a darker sound, but this was too much.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Peterpan what amplifier did you use with R300? Cant belive its dull sounding since r100 had "sweet highs" from the review and R300 has the same tweeter like the higher floorstander in the series. Im thinking of buying R300 but now im not sure.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
peterpan said:
I've had the R300 for demo at home. That is a a very dark. dull sounding speaker. And i have a modern room with wooden floor. I like a darker sound, but this was too much.

Really but you said "have the Kef R300 and find it very good. Never heard before such a good sounding speaker."

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
Hifi-world said about the Kef R500:

A couple of niggles such as a slight 'zing' to the treble and a bit of occasional boxiness can't ruin what is a superb speaker in Hi-Fi World's opinion.

But still the treble........

Hi-Fi Choice review of R300:

"These new R300s are...highly dynamic and forthright. The DNA of the mighty Blade is easy to pick out as these loudspeakers have a sophistication and clarity that others at the price struggle to match."

Under the Verdict they stress, "need taut, powerful transistor amp."

They used the Naim SuperNait for the review, and needed the outer bung inserted to prevent boominess.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Is it true that the speakers made by smaller manufacturers be often better than the more mass produced ones such as Kef, B&w etc?

EDIT..not sure if that makes sense due to the scrumpy on a summeres evening...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Supreme said:
Is it true that the speakers made by smaller manufacturers be often better than the more mass produced ones such as Kef, B&w etc?

EDIT..not sure if that makes sense due to the scrumpy on a summeres evening...

It isn't cast in stone.....if that's what you mean.

I remember enjoying (on-farm) Scrumpy, when I worked one Summer delivering bags of animal feed in the Radstock area, circa 1979.....it quenched the thirst nicely. I wasn't driving.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
talking of cider, a freind of mine has just got a 100 year old cider barrel which is 14 foot high and 14 foot wide. he has turned it into a small house with a thatched roof and everything

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Supreme said:
talking of cider, a freind of mine has just got a 100 year old cider barrel which is 14 foot high and 14 foot wide. he has turned it into a small house with a thatched roof and everything

Is it, "In-cider-out"? :oops:

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:

I also had the R300 for demo at home. I did not buy it because it sounded too dark, lacking air and detail. Amplification was a Cyrus 6XP. The LS50 in my setup sounded much better.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm glad too i'am not the only one who find this. The Kef R500 sounds warm, but not so dark. But still on the dark side of neutral.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
I'm glad too i'am not the only one who find this. The Kef R500 sounds warm, but not so dark. But still on the dark side of neutral.

The german audio magazines also say the same about the KEF R series speakers. They are not suited for medium and well damped rooms. In these rooms they are lacking detail/air and as a result sound slightly dark.

hyettdman

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't get all this talk about the kef r500 beind dark, they sparkle with life and enegy. they are very musical and hugely pleaseing to own.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
"Dark" is subjective, as well as being system and room related.....keep the bass tight and controlled, and they will sounder cleaner.

If you compare them with Focal, MA or Triangle, they are certainly darker.; but compare them to SF (not the Venere Range) or Spendor, and it is much less so....all imo.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
What is dark sounding?

Is it the opposite to bright?

Zackly.

Warm is more to do with a bass that is less tightly controlled and a little boomy, but is often mistakenly used to mean "dark".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts