KEF LS50W review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

David, sorry to go slightly off topic but you mentioned some time last year that you were going to audition some PMC twotwo5's. Did this ever happen?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
When the ae comes in id like to also have a look/listen of the ls50w.

The only time ive heard passive ls50 was with you when you still worked at fh
They should be turning up sometime today, but I'm going to be closed as of tomorrow until Tuesday (going away for my birthday :))

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
David, sorry to go slightly off topic but you mentioned some time last year that you were going to audition some PMC twotwo5's. Did this ever happen?
No it didn't, but then I left FH, so my ties with PMC ended. I'd still be interested in hearing them though. Leave it with me, I'll see if they'll send me a pair...

D

Deleted member 108165

davidf said:
No it didn't, but then I left FH, so my ties with PMC ended. I'd still be interested in hearing them though. Leave it with me, I'll see if they'll send me a pair...

Ah, I see, thank you kindly for your reply. If you do ever get the chance then I'd be very interested in your views *smile*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In the LS50w, it is the combination of features that make them interesting.

Computer control has been commonplave on hi-end studio monitors for some time, Bluetooth and Airplay are on almost every powered/active hi-fi setups, even network connections are hardly new.

Bringing them together in one reasonably affordable package is what is clever, it trumps the AVI DM10 on virtually every level of functionality and I think is only a few upgrades (firmware?) away from being a truly stellar product.

It needs better streaming software to enhance flexibility, gapless playback, native support for music streaming services and probably one or two other tricks as well, but given these enhancements, the LS50w might be all the hi-fi anyone needs.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
Ah, I see, thank you kindly for your reply. If you do ever get the chance then I'd be very interested in your views *smile*
Will do.

As an aside, I thought I'd just go over the idea behind the LS50Ws, as it is easy to forget what and who they're designed for amongst all the other chatter. And I can see a few people getting a little restless... :)

Whereas most active loudspeakers are designed as purely an active speaker - a pair of speakers with onboard amplification - the LS50Ws are geared more towards those that want less 'fuss', shall we say. They're truly a one box solution, so to speak, in that they allow anyone who listens to music through streaming apps via their phone or tablet to be able to just send that information via high quality Bluetooth and just listen (hence the "wireless" angle). That is a very simple set up that involves two mains cables and an interconnecting ethernet cable between the speakers. Conventional active speakers would need some sort of interface to allow phones and tablets to do this. An additional box.

Like the AVI DM10, the LS50Ws have digital inputs and a pair of analogue RCA inputs. Active speakers like these cater more for those who want options and flexibility.

Whilst most actives will have some sort of bass control allowing placement flexibility, this will usually come in the form of a 'volume control' on the back of the speaker. The LS50Ws can handle this via a useful app if they're connected to your network, and can be controlled on the fly, so you can hear exactly what is happening from the comfort of your listening position. This can come in a basic form - choosing a distance from the wall, and choosing whether they're on stands or furniture, to a more "expert" level, which allows you to control of tone and wall proximity settings, with th bass control designed to replace the conventional foam bungs you'd get with most speakers - so you've effecctively got a variable bung :)

Again, all designed for flexibility and ease of use for for the end user. The LS50W isn't to "muscle in" on anyone else's active market - they're to appeal to a potentially new customer base that may have thought about actives in the past, but found them to be a little too fiddly or basic in what they do or offer. I suppose it's taking it another step further than AVI did. Flexibility can be added to any active speaker with something like a Sonos Connect or Bluesound Node, but this involves an extra box, which isn't necessarily the route active buyers want to take - many probably bought actives in the first place to reduce box count.

A high level of technology went into the LS50s, and they've been one of KEF's most popular speakers because of their keen price point, which I guess is one reason KEF have chosen to take them further with an active version. Based on their size, they're the perfect speaker for such a purpose, especially with the benefits they offer with the UniQ array - you can sit as close to these as you like and their tonal balance won't change or shift, and you won't hear any phasing issues between the drivers.

So amongst all the "but the KEFs don't do this", "but the KEFs aren't this/that", it is worth remembering that they're not geared towards the conventional active buyer - the LS50W is looking for it's own market - those that want active quality in a good looking package, with the ease of use and flexibility of a streaming audio system. It is a different proposition to what are referred to as "pro" monitors (although the phrase "pro" is just as misused as "hi-fi", in my opinion).

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
Andrewjvt said:
When the ae comes in id like to also have a look/listen of the ls50w.

The only time ive heard passive ls50 was with you when you still worked at fh
They should be turning up sometime today, but I'm going to be closed as of tomorrow until Tuesday (going away for my birthday :))

David, are you receiving a pair of AE1a today? If so, I might have to engineer a visit down to your shop sometime soon. As my in-laws live in Burton on Trent, a visit to Birmingham should be easily arranged. It will be good to hear your thoughts on the two actives (LS50w and AE1a) when you both pieces of kit.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
David, are you receiving a pair of AE1a today? If so, I might have to engineer a visit down to your shop sometime soon. As my in-laws live in Burton on Trent, a visit to Birmingham should be easily arranged. It will be good to hear your thoughts on the two actives (LS50w and AE1a) when you both pieces of kit.
I didn't receive any today, and I'm away now until Tuesday. I'll see if I can find out tomorrow if he's already sent them or not.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
ErwinC said:
Andrewjvt said:
ErwinC said:
I have the LS50W for 3 months now and i have to say these are imo unbeatable at the price and way above *biggrin*

Also very interesting to read: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/3x1_2/1.html

Hi

What other comparable products have you compared them with?

I previously owned a  Naim UnitiLite in combination with a pair of PMC Twenty.22. I find the LS50W better than this setup.

I also compared the LS50W with a Musical Fidelity Encore 225 in combination with the passive LS50. The LS50W was better imo. The price of the MF + LS50 is about 3 times the price of the LS50W.

For similar products, i compared it with the Dynaudio Focus 200 XD. The Dynaudio costs more than 2 times  the price of the LS50W and also needs a Dynaudio Connect to function. Both are very good imo but i prefer the LS50W.

I owned many other passive speakers (B&W CM5, B&W CM5 S2, Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature, PMC Twenty 21, PMC Twenty 22, Dynaudio Focus 110, ATC SM11, ATC SCM12, KEF LS50, ...) the last years and none of them came close to the active LS50.
really.they must be amazing.i heard the ATC scm11 as was blown away.they can't be better surely

D

Deleted member 108165

davidf said:
I should have my mitts on a pair by the end of the month :)

Ooh, thanks David *smile* very kind of you sir. I have always had a great deal of trust in your reviews and as such look forward to your honest impressions.

Maxprocrj

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
ErwinC said:
Andrewjvt said:
ErwinC said:
I have the LS50W for 3 months now and i have to say these are imo unbeatable at the price and way above *biggrin*

Also very interesting to read: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/3x1_2/1.html

Hi

What other comparable products have you compared them with?

I previously owned a  Naim UnitiLite in combination with a pair of PMC Twenty.22. I find the LS50W better than this setup.

I also compared the LS50W with a Musical Fidelity Encore 225 in combination with the passive LS50. The LS50W was better imo. The price of the MF + LS50 is about 3 times the price of the LS50W.

For similar products, i compared it with the Dynaudio Focus 200 XD. The Dynaudio costs more than 2 times  the price of the LS50W and also needs a Dynaudio Connect to function. Both are very good imo but i prefer the LS50W.

I owned many other passive speakers (B&W CM5, B&W CM5 S2, Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature, PMC Twenty 21, PMC Twenty 22, Dynaudio Focus 110, ATC SM11, ATC SCM12, KEF LS50, ...) the last years and none of them came close to the active LS50.

Thanks for that
Your explanation echos my experience

I found much the same as you
Very good value for e money

Is it that good....like how its performance would be in a small room say 10*12 near wall setup ...please guide.

daveh75

davedotco said:
It needs better streaming software to enhance flexibility, gapless playback, native support for music streaming services and probably one or two other tricks as well, but given these enhancements, the LS50w might be all the hi-fi anyone needs.

Kef seriously dropped a bollock not including Chromecast built-in, Spotify Connect and even Airplay *spit* out the gate IMO.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:

Kef seriously dropped a bollock not including Chromecast built-in, Spotify Connect and even Airplay *spit* out the gate IMO.
Why pay Apple a licence fee for AirPlay when you can just use Bluetooth?

I would say that the LS50W, like the LS50, isn't going to be a product that is going to be replaced in a year or twos time, it's sticking around for a while. And I t's all software - who knows what it'll be doing in a 12 months time? Oppo have been adding apps to their Bluray players, which is another example of a long term product that gets developed, unlike models that get a new badge every 12 months.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Maxprocrj said:
Is it that good....like how its performance would be in a small room say 10*12 near wall setup ...please guide.
You can pretty much place the speaker anywhere and you can counteract the resulting rooms issues with the set up app. You can also use that same app to take into account room size as well. My room is about 10x12, and I got the passive LS50s to work well in it despite being close to the wall, and all just using the outer part of the bung. Active LS50s will be a doddle in comparison.

daveh75

davidf said:

They would of paid Qualcomm a licensing fee for aptX...

BT is shite for two reasons;

1) it's lossy

2) Like AirPlay it requires a device sat in the middle acting as a server.

Chromecast/Spotify connect are superior in that respect

I would say that the LS50W, like the LS50, isn't going to be a product that is going to be replaced in a year or twos time, it's sticking around for a while. And I t's all software - who knows what it'll be doing in a 12 months time? Oppo have been adding apps to their Bluray players, which is another example of a long term product that gets developed, unlike models that get a new badge every 12 months.

If they'd baked in Chromecast from the outset they wouldn't need to go through the hassle of adding apps over time like Oppo (Google and the app developers have done all the hard work in that respect) and could of boasted Tidal, Google Play, Spotify, Deezer, iPlayer Radio, Tunein etc etc out the box...

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
davidf said:

They would of paid Qualcomm a licensing fee for aptX...

BT is shite for two reasons;

1) it's lossy

2) Like AirPlay it requires a device sat in the middle acting as a server.

Chromecast/Spotify connect are superior in that respect

If they'd baked in Chromecast from the outset they wouldn't need to go through the hassle of adding apps over time like Oppo (Google and the app developers have done all the hard work in that respect) and could of boasted Tidal, Google Play, Spotify, Deezer, iPlayer Radio, Tunein etc etc out the box...

The problem with anything Google is that they are liable to drop at any time and without warning, any project they have going if it no longer fits with their business model of mining your data to sell on for advertising purposes.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Bluetooth 4.0 (AptX) sounds seriously good and if implemented well it isn't glitchy as wifi can be sometimes. I could never notice any compression on the Roksan Kandy K2BT when I played flac, wav, ape or mp3.

You can call it not-as-good-as in theory all day long, but it is far from shite.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
BT is fine but if you wander off with your phone or receives a message then the music gets bu####ed.

At least with chromecast once you've started something it carries on, and with no battery impact on the controller.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
It seems to me what people want is good quality sound, no boxes and, above all, wifi or bluetooth. i seriously doubt most buyers would give a toss about the active part, it makes far less difference than the rhetoric suggests.

There's also the matter of how the crossover is achieved. Digital would seem to be the way of the future, as it can integrate DSP. This makes traditional active speakers, which still use analogue crossovers almost legacy products. It's important, because DSP is what people want, and has obvious advantages over traditional crossovers, be they active or passive.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
avole said:
It seems to me what people want is good quality sound, no boxes and, above all, wifi or bluetooth. i seriously doubt most buyers would give a toss about the active part, it makes far less difference than the rhetoric suggests.

There's also the matter of how the crossover is achieved. Digital would seem to be the way of the future, as it can integrate DSP. This makes traditional active speakers, which still use analogue crossovers almost legacy products. It's important, because DSP is what people want, and has obvious advantages over traditional crossovers, be they active or passive.
I agree. I know some are putting more emphasis on the active aspect, quoting it as the logical reason people are buying, but the main thing for most is less boxes, and with more people taking the streaming route, it makes more sense to research this type of speaker now. And yes, more people would be interested in the DSP capabilities part rather than the active part. So the current interest in active speakers is more down to what a modern active can offer rather than any benefit in sound quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts