KEF LS50 vs B&W CM5

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI there, I just came back from a listening session.

I was listening to the R100 R300 and the LS50. Unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to the B&W CM5.

All three speakers are very good the r300 had more bass and is my favourite but might be a bid big for my little room .. on top is the price. Well if anyone could let me know how the CM5's compare to the ls50 this would be awesome.

At the moment I have a Harman & Kardon 980 amplifier and a dock for my iphone. What I am looking for is some good speakers to match. It would be nice if you have any advice for me. It's quite a big investment. ta!

Oliver

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
If you can read French, you can find an extensive comparison between the two here: http://www.harmonique-blog.be/test-kef-r300

The reviewer preferred the R300. Me too ;)

BTW, i think the LS50 is even better than the R300, but that is perhaps more a matter of taste.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
If you can read French, you can find an extensive comparison between the two here: http://www.harmonique-blog.be/test-kef-r300

The reviewer preferred the R300. Me too ;)

BTW, i think the LS50 is even better than the R300, but that is perhaps more a matter of taste.

I can fully understand that. I think there will be many people who will prefer the more laid back R300's. Personally, I prefer the more revealing and even more holographic nature of the LS50's, hence my change to them in the near future. Those that like low bass will prefer the R300 too.

matthewpiano

I've never been a fan of the CM series and I actually prefer the 600 series B&Ws. Wouldn't swap my 685s for CM5s under any circumstances.

My choice would be the R300s or the R100s, though I haven't heard the LS50s yet. I think the R series KEFs are very hard to beat in that £500-£1k price range though it does, of course, depend what they will be partnered with, and the room accoustics.

matthewpiano

I've never been a fan of the CM series and I actually prefer the 600 series B&Ws. Wouldn't swap my 685s for CM5s under any circumstances.

My choice would be the R300s or the R100s, though I haven't heard the LS50s yet. I think the R series KEFs are very hard to beat in that £500-£1k price range though it does, of course, depend what they will be partnered with, and the room accoustics.

olivero-007 said:
HI there, I just came back from a listening session.

I was listening to the R100 R300 and the LS50. Unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to the B&W CM5.

All three speakers are very good the r300 had more bass and is my favourite but might be a bid big for my little room .. on top is the price. Well if anyone could let me know how the CM5's compare to the ls50 this would be awesome.

At the moment I have a Harman & Kardon 980 amplifier and a dock for my iphone. What I am looking for is some good speakers to match. It would be nice if you have any advice for me. It's quite a big investment. ta!

Oliver

Hi Oliver

ATC's SCM11 monitors and Monitor Audio's Gold GX5O speakers are also worth bearing in mind to partner your Harman Kardon 980 amplifier :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
My dealer commented that the LS50 is the most "disappearing" speaker. I have heard that myself! It took me wright into the music, even listening to the lyrics instead of listening to the sound. He comments the R100 as just worse and not even having more bass. The R300 has more bass but is sounding more nasal according to him. I did not hear them. He did not try to sell the R300 (more expensive) to me instead of the LS50! It needs a powerful amp for the bass!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Rethep said:
My dealer commented that the LS50 is the most "disappearing" speaker.

Thats due to the "no holds barred" design of the cabinet, which allows the driver to do what it has been designed to do :)

is the driver a "no holds barred" design as well :)

You picking up a little confidence there Ricky boy? You never used to get involved in this sort of stuff - it was usually Ben :)

The R series UniQ has been designed based on technology born from the Blade loudspeaker. Hoops can link you to a site that reviewed the Q series driver - very favourably. I have no doubt that the R series would also be well reviewed by them.

Given a well designed, well built cabinet, any high quality driver will be able to perform at its best.

A

Anonymous

The HK 980 is a nice amp for the money - currently around £250, though originally £400 - it is well built and has great bass and lots of power however it, partnered with with an Idock, is not the kind of system you should be looking to connect up to LS50s, or even the other speakers you mentioned. I find it somewhat peculair a hifi shop would recomment other £7-800 speakers as a good match to you. The HK980 is dull in the top end and easily becomes ragged, neither of which are attributes which suit the LS50 - a monstrously revealing speaker and will highlight every shortcoming with the amp and using an Ipod, and I doubt the speakers would sound any better than cheaper alternatives given the constrainsts of the HK and Ipod. Ultimately, it is up to you what you spend your money on but aside from the looks and build quality, I think your system is much more suitable to cheaper less revealing and demanding speakers My advice would be to look at Monitor Audio BX2 and to compare similarly priced alternatives.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Dirleton.

Yes, £400 amplifiers from the likes of Marantz, Rotel etc will drive them, but the LS50's aren't going to give anywhere near what they're capable of with any £400 amplifier I know of. The UniQ driver may not be that big, but it is revealing, and if the amplifier isn't up to the job, you'll be listening to a £400 speaker, at best.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
You picking up a little confidence there Ricky boy?

:rofl: :clap: still :type: i see. Anyway, please feel free to ask me this again when you finally have the confidence of climbing and putting your typewriter down :type: and are standing on your own feet instead :) As a benefit you can then say with confidence that yes, the shop and its stock are mine rather then slipping it in and claiming (unless you're going to say otherwise) that the shop and its stock where you are working at is yours :?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well if you're guessing, then it's not just me that doesn't understand then. I'm sure Rick can pop back and explain, as from an English point of view, I'm lost as to what he's trying to say.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for your help.

I am so sure what I am going to do yet. However, I also would like to point out that my dealer said to hear the full potential of the KEF LS50 neither R100 or R300 it might be a good idea to change my amp in the nearer future. It's so easy these days, I want good music to an alright price but at the same time I would love to have it convenient. As so many I don't have any CD's anymore everything is on my Iphone. I would not go back to buy cd's or burn cd from my iTunes library. One comes home turns the music on via airplay but can still use his/her iPhone. Unfortunately we are not just there yet, that this works with brilliant sound :(.

Oh and one of you guys mentioned the gx50 Monitor Audio's yes, I have to agree they are good speakers!!

Thank you all!

oliver

A

Anonymous

I am so sure what I am going to do yet. However, I also would like to point out that my dealer said to hear the full potential of the KEF LS50 neither R100 or R300 it might be a good idea to change my amp in the nearer future. It's so easy these days, I want good music to an alright price but at the same time I would love to have it convenient. As so many I don't have any CD's anymore everything is on my Iphone. I would not go back to buy cd's or burn cd from my iTunes library. One comes home turns the music on via airplay but can still use his/her iPhone. Unfortunately we are not just there yet, that this works with brilliant sound :(.

Oh and one of you guys mentioned the gx50 Monitor Audio's yes, I have to agree they are good speakers!!

Thank you all!

oliver

olivero-007 said:

Thank you all!

oliver

Hi Oliver

Your welcome.

Monitor Audio's Gold GX50's are indeed good speakers 8)

Btw, if possible please try and also audition ATC's SCM11 monitors :)

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/scm11.php

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS