KEF Ls50 driver issue!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I recently discovered that I purchased them on 20 March 2019, not 2017 as I had previously thought. I have included a picture of the driver in natural daylight. @Gray - The speakers are located on the opposite side of the room from the radiator. My heating system is a kerosene oil tank located outside which heats the radiator. It is on for only one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening during the cold days. Due to the increase in oil prices in Europe.
How long is the warranty? They should keep spare drivers for 6-10 years I’d have thought.

PS. I googled it…

Last edited:

Gray

The speakers are located on the opposite side of the room from the radiator.
I wasn't thinking about excess heat caused by you, rather the ambient temperature since May.
Of course, normal ambient temperature shouldn't cause that though.
But they were perfect in May - and untouched since.
What else apart from atmospherics could possibly have caused it?
The fact remains that metal expands and contracts (more than paper will, for example)......when it expands, can it move without causing problems?
Possibly nothing to do with it, but that's the the sort of thing that might be considered unnecessary for Kef to have allowed / tested for??

Then there's the metal cones of other manufacturers. Any such issues??

(Not the same driver and currently boxed, but I'll keep an eye on my Q100 cones).

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuart.W.D

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Nopianio, I was hoping they might have had a five-year warranty like my TV. That's a pity, but it's good to know about the drivers and I appreciate the information.
That's intriguing, Gray. I also have a pair of Q150's that I need to be vigilant about.

Reactions: Gray

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
KEF Ls50 driver issue [ ref:_00D6F2ZKVB._500RA1WiBq:ref ]
Hi Stuart,

Unfortunately, accidental/physical damage is not covered by your warranty.
We can assure you that our units simply cannot do this type of damage to themselves without some external force.

We are well aware of internet forums and links to complaints of this nature.
Unfortunately, you will only tend to see people complaining about products that have been damaged through misuse or by accidental damage.
The people making these posts account for a very small percentage of our customers who accidentally damage their product, whether physically or by overdriving the product with too much volume.
You will also notice that people commenting on the posts make comments about overdriving the product and that it must be accidental damage etc.

With the attached photo) the HF horn also has some damage on it.
This also may be linked to the damage to the cone as the damage is in the same area.

We would suggest contacting Hifihut as I am reasonably confident that they will be able to assist with changing the driver over for you.
If not, we do have a service centre in Belfast called Lric Hi Fi, that can definitely help.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards, Andy
KEF Support team.

Reactions: nopiano

podknocker

In fairness to KEF, you can understand it from their position.

Aluminium speaker drivers don't suddenly deform or develop cracks.

If this was a design flaw, you would expect a higher number of users raising this.

If they've not been used for months and you've no pets, it remains a mystery.

podknocker

There is a mark on the tweeter at around 2 o'clock. Weird.
You have better eyeballs than me.

I can see some sort of mark, but could it be fluff, or something stuck in the gap?

If it's a dent, then it's in the same region as the crease on the other driver.

Also, if there was anything coming into contact with the driver, the curvature of the cone would cause the top of the driver to pull away from the tweeter and leave that gap.

It does look contorted as if something has hit it.

Last edited:

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Hello Stuart, I totally sympathise with your problem,you will no doubt have now read my post regarding damaged cones with my kef ls50 meta speakers. I was initially criticised for being the cause of my problem, when like yourself have taken the utmost care of my system for over 40years. I didn't do anything different, and also listen at fairly low volume levels. I was assured by a local kef seller in Manchester that he had had several customers with the same problem. I do hope you get your problem resolved, mine were still under warranty, but would suggest that you mention the forum as it did seem to have a positive effect in changing their minds and replaced the cones which I am pleased to say have been fine ever since
Good luck Ray 👍

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hello Stuart, I totally sympathise with your problem,you will no doubt have now read my post regarding damaged cones with my kef ls50 meta speakers. I was initially criticised for being the cause of my problem, when like yourself have taken the utmost care of my system for over 40years. I didn't do anything different, and also listen at fairly low volume levels. I was assured by a local kef seller in Manchester that he had had several customers with the same problem. I do hope you get your problem resolved, mine were still under warranty, but would suggest that you mention the forum as it did seem to have a positive effect in changing their minds and replaced the cones which I am pleased to say have been fine ever since
Good luck Ray 👍
I don't understand the ribs. The cone acts and moves like a piston while the ribs prevent the cone flexing. It seems the cone and ribs pull in opposing directions. I own iq10s (no ribs or indented surrounds) for 10 years and are fine.

KEF Ls50 driver issue [ ref:_00D6F2ZKVB._500RA1WiBq:ref ]
Hi Stuart,

Unfortunately, accidental/physical damage is not covered by your warranty.
We can assure you that our units simply cannot do this type of damage to themselves without some external force.

We are well aware of internet forums and links to complaints of this nature.
Unfortunately, you will only tend to see people complaining about products that have been damaged through misuse or by accidental damage.
The people making these posts account for a very small percentage of our customers who accidentally damage their product, whether physically or by overdriving the product with too much volume.
You will also notice that people commenting on the posts make comments about overdriving the product and that it must be accidental damage etc.

With the attached photo) the HF horn also has some damage on it.
This also may be linked to the damage to the cone as the damage is in the same area.

We would suggest contacting Hifihut as I am reasonably confident that they will be able to assist with changing the driver over for you.
If not, we do have a service centre in Belfast called Lric Hi Fi, that can definitely help.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards, Andy
KEF Support team.
Looks like a typo for Lyric Hifi, but I guess you know them already?

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Good luck Ray 👍

Ray, I appreciate it. 🙏

I included your thread in my original e-mail to KEF support with my pictures. I copied and pasted KEF's response in this thread. It is post 29.

I will be the first to admit at the time that I was sceptical about your situation when you started your thread. Because my Ls50's & Q150's had no issues back then. I am able to comprehend the other forum members who are questioning me regarding my situation.

I'm really glad you're situation has worked out so well for you. Especially since there is a fair price to pay with these speakers.

As it stands I am accountable for paying for a new driver, vat, shipping, etc. I will be given the full price on Monday when KEF get back to the
dealership in Dublin. The replacement driver will be fitted by them.

I don't possess the original box and the HiFi-Hut is almost a two hour drive from my location. I'm unsure if I should proceed with the repair, particularly given my lack of knowledge about the problem and whether the replacement driver will last more than four years this time.

At the very least, you understand my situation. So thanks for posting today. 👍 Hopefully future buyers will have a better outcome from our threads, Ray.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Looks like a typo for Lyric Hifi, but I guess you know them already?
I was not aware of the typo error. Thank you for pointing it out. Especially since I am not familiar with this company in Belfast. The HiFi Hut is my go-to place for audio equipment. Richer Sounds are the only company I deal with in Northern Ireland, and they are great to deal with.

I was not aware of the typo error. Thank you for pointing it out. Especially since I am not familiar with this company in Belfast. The HiFi Hut is my go-to place for audio equipment. Richer Sounds are the only company I deal with in Northern Ireland, and they are great to deal with.
Glad I mentioned it then. I gather that Michael McClean is the proprietor of Lyric and by all accounts is quite a character. Here is one of his videos…

View: https://youtu.be/LHAZUpY_gmY?si=xKtp_Ovig1f5Dd6h

Reactions: Stuart.W.D

Gray

(From Kef's reply)
'With the attached photo) the HF horn also has some damage on it'.
They've got a point with that possibly being related I think Stuart.
In one of your pictures it is quite a dig.

I don't know if you would feel up to replacing the driver yourself (I've got a feeling it's what Ray might have done).
But if they could send you one, maybe even at cost price, it would save you the 2 hour drive plus the labour cost.
Just a thought.

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Will a repaired speaker ever be as good as a new one?

I always feel uneasy when it comes to repairs.

I would start afresh and buy a new pair of speakers and keep the grills on!

I would start afresh and buy a new pair of speakers and keep the grills on!
I did replace the speakers myself,very straightforward no real technical experience required, though I was a computer engineer back in the day,now 75,I feel you should really do it yourself, if there is a difference when done by experts I don't think you'll notice it.
Give it a go👍

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

My thought process was also based on this. I would be the same as you, constantly pondering if it sounds the same. I will shift my focus from the music to the speaker. I don't want that. Next month, I will be attending a Hi-Fi show. This will allow me to listen to the SONUS FABERLUMINA II.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I did replace the speakers myself,very straightforward no real technical experience required
So Ray, I'm not tech-savvy. But what tools are necessary for the job and what is the procedure? Are there any video links available for replacing an LS50 driver?
I'm not entirely sure if I want to take this route, but I'm curious about the complexities involved.

Last edited:

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
They've got a point with that possibly being related I think Stuart.
In one of your pictures it is quite a dig.

@Gray this would mean I would not take my partner and daughter's word. The Irish are known for their straight-shooting and honest behaviour. If she had knocked the speaker, my partner would immediately offer to pay for any repairs or buy a replacement speaker. That's her nature. Above all else, I taught my daughter to always tell the truth and as long as she's honest with me, she will never be in trouble. Observing your child's eyes tells you if they are telling the truth.
In the event that I damaged the speaker, my method would be to get rid of it and not start this thread. When you diagnosed the issue with my BT3 active speakers last year Gray, once I understood the issue I binned them. When I am unsure of the cause of something, it really bothers me.

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
So Ray, I'm not tech-savvy. But what tools are necessary for the job and what is the procedure? Are there any video links available for replacing an LS50 driver?
I'm not entirely sure if I want to take this route, but I'm curious about the complexities involved.
Hi Stuart, the most fiddly part is the surround on the front where it says ls50meta, it is only held on with velcro,just have to ease it off carefully in several place ,once that is done its only a case of loosening the allen key bolts and removing the driver after unplugging it from the crossover,just two spade end plugs,very simple . There is no fancy sealing to consider it's just a straight one in one out ,you can't get the spades wrong as the leads are colour coded. I really can't believe that you replacing the driver will be any less professional than by a dealer. If there were fancy seals to consider then that would be another discussion. I enclose a picture of mine after fitting the driver,think it looks ok
Don't doubt your ability it really is very straightforward
Good luck 👍
Just one thing I forgot to mention, when you put screws back in tighten on opposite sides as you would a tyre,just to ensure it sits perfectly 👍

Attachments

• 1000010479.jpg
    1000010479.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 7

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Hi Stuart, the most fiddly part is the surround on the front where it says ls50meta, it is only held on with velcro,just have to ease it off carefully in several place ,once that is done its only a case of loosening the allen key bolts and removing the driver after unplugging it from the crossover,just two spade end plugs,very simple . There is no fancy sealing to consider it's just a straight one in one out ,you can't get the spades wrong as the leads are colour coded. I really can't believe that you replacing the driver will be any less professional than by a dealer. If there were fancy seals to consider then that would be another discussion. I enclose a picture of mine after fitting the driver,think it looks ok
Don't doubt your ability it really is very straightforward
Good luck 👍
Just one thing I forgot to mention, when you put screws back in tighten on opposite sides as you would a tyre,just to ensure it sits perfectly 👍
Another thought,removing the decal cover is probably the most difficult part,as its quite thin and bendy,you could practice removing it now just take care,I lifted mine with a Stanley knife blade ,just be careful not to scratch the speaker, after that replacement is easy,then make sure you put the decal in the correct position when you press it back on,voila your done😉

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

Gray

When I am unsure of the cause of something, it really bothers me.
I think we're all bothered on your behalf Stuart, as we were in Ray's case.

I thought he'd done his own driver replacement - I really think you should give it serious consideration too.
...as long as you're careful (no slipping with the Allen key).

If you're really unsure get two prices....one for a driver, the other for the complete job, that will help make your decision.

Just to confirm it was something beside the tweeter! I had just finished dusting down my streamer, which collects dust, fluff, and other debris. I find @12th Monkey's eyesight impressive, and perhaps Hawkeye would be a more appropriate name for the future.
If you zoom in on your very first picture, you'll see it. Whether it's a mark on the tweeter part or just something stuck to it I know not!

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS