Question Are B & W 706 s 2 speakers bright sounding ?

gitesh_b

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
Hello. I have ordered bowers 706 s2 without demo as demo is not possible where I live . I will be pairing them with my old Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver. I have heard reviews that these speakers sound bright / harsh so one cannot listen for too long ? Did you have to do any tonal adjustments to 706 s2 ?

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
In most rooms I've listened to the brand in, I personally find B&W to be what I call 'showroom impressive' - in a similar way to TVs in the window being really high contrast and brightness. It's eye (or ear) catching, and looks/sounds great for about 15 minutes. Then it just becomes a bit too much.

I have also never heard a B&W speaker 'image above itself' - but that's a different conversation entirely.

But anyways, that's just me. We all hear differently, we all have different rooms and expectations. Maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn't. Maybe there's a train that the reviewers have all jumped on, or they somehow listen to a frequency response graph that only gives part of a story.

matthewpianist

B&Ws certainly can sound bright, their metal tweeters being quite prone to being tipped into slight edginess with the wrong electronics and/or in the wrong room. The mid-range also isn't always the most insightful, but that's a matter of taste. They do have their virtues however, and can sound very good in the right circumstances.

I'm not familiar with your amp so I can't comment on that, and the only reference will be your own opinion once you've heard the speakers with it in your room. Take care of the packaging so that you can return them in as-new condition should you find they aren't right for you.

Too many unknowns to help, I think. Much will depend on your room, their placement, and your tastes.

Once you have them, experiment with toe-in, and distance from walls and corners to get the sound you like best. And obviously, decent stands are essential.

gitesh_b

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
I have been researching on options to control brightness. ideas are -
1. Aiyima T 8 tube pre amp.
2. parametric Equalizer dbx 2 Series 231s Dual 31-Band Graphic Equalizer
3. use the inbuilt Spotify Equalizer as mostly I listen to streaming music
4. Mini dsp 4 x 2 hd
5. furutech cables - not sure.
please give inputs

4. Mini dsp 4 x 2 hd
please give inputs
I think the alignment points I made above are all better solutions than any of these. All free of charge too, except for decent stands which are essential.

Cheap tubes aren’t necessarily smooth, equalisers are ok but some feel they impair the overall sound, cables are mostly psychological! Have you actually heard the speakers in your room yet? I’d start with your treble control - that’s why the amp is fitted with it!

Fandango Andy

4. Mini dsp 4 x 2 hd
please give inputs
Have I missed something? The original post you had ordered the speakers. Do you have them yet? You could be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. You need to get them set up and get the positioning spot on before you worry about any of that.

A couple of years ago I changed the speakers in my living-room set-up (swapped them with set-up in another room). They sounded terrible where the others were positioned, but are great now they are in the right place.

Reactions: nopiano

gitesh_b

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
Have I missed something? The original post you had ordered the speakers. Do you have them yet? You could be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. You need to get them set up and get the positioning spot on before you worry about any of that.

A couple of years ago I changed the speakers in my living-room set-up (swapped them with set-up in another room). They sounded terrible where the others were positioned, but are great now they are in the right place.
Hello . You are right I have not actually heard the speakers as only floor standers available in my city for demo in 7 series .

hopefully speakers will arrive in another 7 days . I just want to have correction plan in case they sound bright as returning back is not an option in my city

Hello . You are right I have not actually heard the speakers as only floor standers available in my city for demo in 7 series .

hopefully speakers will arrive in another 7 days . I just want to have correction plan in case they sound bright as returning back is not an option in my city
Let us know how you get on, and don’t overlook that treble tone control on your amp!

Wait until you get them then give the B&W a good run in. Don't be too hasty.

Reactions: Fandango Andy

manicm

In most rooms I've listened to the brand in, I personally find B&W to be what I call 'showroom impressive' - in a similar way to TVs in the window being really high contrast and brightness. It's eye (or ear) catching, and looks/sounds great for about 15 minutes. Then it just becomes a bit too much.

I have also never heard a B&W speaker 'image above itself' - but that's a different conversation entirely.

But anyways, that's just me. We all hear differently, we all have different rooms and expectations. Maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn't. Maybe there's a train that the reviewers have all jumped on, or they somehow listen to a frequency response graph that only gives part of a story.
I had the much older original 685s, and trust me, they did 'image above themselves ', i.e their soundstage had good height in addition to good width and decent depth.

If you want to test soundstage height listen to the track Pilots by Goldfrapp on their album Felt Mountain. It should give you the feeling like you're floating.

Either on CD or lossless.

Reactions: gitesh_b

gitesh_b

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
I had the much older original 685s, and trust me, they did 'image above themselves ', i.e their soundstage had good height in addition to good width and decent depth.

If you want to test soundstage height listen to the track Pilots by Goldfrapp on their album Felt Mountain. It should give you the feeling like you're floating.

Either on CD or lossless.
What gauge of wire to use ? is Bi-Wiring recommended ?

gitesh_b

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
I got the speakers yesterday running them in . Sound is better than my previous set up . It’s quite close to the wall around 15 cm so using the plugs to reduce the bass in the post . I have old wires no idea what make or guage . B & W suggests 12/13 guage with biwiring .

manicm

I got the speakers yesterday running them in . Sound is better than my previous set up . It’s quite close to the wall around 15 cm so using the plugs to reduce the bass in the post . I have old wires no idea what make or guage . B & W suggests 12/13 guage with biwiring .

Some reading suggests B&W speakers can benefit from biwiring. A matter of experimentation.

Are they brand new? 14AWG or thicker is plenty unless you are running in an enormous room. That equates to 2.5mm2 which is fairly typical for domestic Hifi.

gitesh_b

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
Yes they are brand new . Heard them for about an hour is last 2 days but hurting my ears ! Taking a break from them don’t know why bothering me ??!! Any suggestions?

Bi wiring options being considered of length 2.5 m .

Mogami 2972 Terminated Speaker Cable – Biwire -15 awg​

mogami 3104 terminated speaker cable biwire 12 awg

Yes they are brand new . Heard them for about an hour is last 2 days but hurting my ears ! Taking a break from them don’t know why bothering me ??!! Any suggestions?

Bi wiring wil make no difference if speakers not what you expected.

Reactions: nopiano and DougK1

Turn the treble down, if they’re still too bright after leaving them playing while you are out to be sure they have relaxed as much as they’re going to.

Mogami is decent cable, often branded by manufacturers for themselves. I’d go for the next level up, rather than buy the bi-wired, but you might want to experiment. Standard copper cables like the original 79 strand by QED is probably as smooth as anything.

Last edited:

podknocker

'Showroom impressive' is very accurate. I think many B&W speakers are brighter than most speakers and have a dip in the midrange making the treble more pronounced and exposed, but I do like a lot of airy top end. The thing is with some B&W models, they get a bit splashy and sibilant and tend to exagerate the treble quite a bit. It's quite engaging for an album or so, but then it gets wearing. My QA3030i sound a bit warm, soft and cosy, but until I find B&W, or other speakers with more treble, but not with that harsh, shrill tone, then I'll stick with what I have.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
This thread is hilarious! I'm sure the original question is not serious.
Folks are asking up to $900 for used 706 S2's on ebay (I'm guessing that's where you purchased them from)?
'you can't return them in your city'? Where do you live... on the Moon?
You could have purchased a new or gently used budget amp and speakers for the same price as those 706's
Now you're talking about spending MORE money (even though you 'ran out your budget' on the speakers) on Mogami cables! ROFL You could buy a decent amp for the price of most Mogami cables! Coat hanger wire would probably sound just as good with the receiver that you are using.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

Fandango Andy

Bi-wiring is unlikely to make any difference. Your speakers are in a different league to your amp, so I wouldn't waste a load of money of fancy cables. Just get some 12 gauge (if thats what the manufacture recommends) copper wire.

If you are experiencing sibilance it is far more likely to be your room or the speaker positioning. Did I read 15cm from the wall? this is far too close. you probably need about 1 to 1.25meters (measured from the front of the speaker).

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS