KEF LS50 disappointment :(

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
shkumar4963 said:
I listened to LS50s a few times and left them. Then one day I was at a different dealer and listened to them in a different setup. They were heavenly, better than anything I had heard before and bought then on the spot.

And since then I am trying to create that magic...looking to see if that was due to amplifier, room acoustics or something else ....

Possibly the dealer's chosen playlists as well? No surprise how much forethought goes in to what is played at HiFi shops in order to showcase a given product. It is usually the antithesis of what I would play to test a pair of loudspeakers during an audition, which would include complex tracks to trip them up, expose their frailty if they have one. How many times have you heard London Grammar, Diana Krall, Daft Punk or Katie Melua played by HiFi dealers during demos? Many, many times. Not because they challenge the HiFi components through which they play but because they are extremely well recorded and produced and will flatter pretty much any system/component however poor.

I always take this Cd with me if I am going to test another system , it has just about everything in it to test anything ,and it is also technically brilliant and will stimulate all you senses simultaneously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZLHFxJpe_8

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
shkumar4963 said:
Vladimir said:
Add one vote for PMC DB1i.?

Now let's make sure DB1I are priced same as LS50 (about £800).

I suspect that DB1I are much higher priced (£985) and should not be a candidate.

Yeah. I think comparing KEF LS50 to these is a more reasonable approach. 

Ok. You are right. I was wrong. DB1I gets a vote.

So 2.5 for CM1 and 1 vote for DB1i. May be half vote for DB1i since they were not auditioned next to LS50.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
shkumar4963 said:
Vladimir said:
shkumar4963 said:
Vladimir said:
Add one vote for PMC DB1i.

Now let's make sure DB1I are priced same as LS50 (about £800).

I suspect that DB1I are much higher priced (£985) and should not be a candidate.

Yeah. I think comparing KEF LS50 to these is a more reasonable approach.

Ok. You are right. I was wrong. DB1I gets a vote.

So 2.5 for CM1 and 1 vote for DB1i. May be half vote for DB1i since they were not auditioned next to LS50.

I vote DM5. *bomb*

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
Gazzip said:
shkumar4963 said:
I listened to LS50s a few times and left them. Then one day I was at a different dealer and listened to them in a different setup. They were heavenly, better than anything I had heard before and bought then on the spot.

And since then I am trying to create that magic...looking to see if that was due to amplifier, room acoustics or something else ....

?

Possibly the dealer's chosen playlists as well? No surprise how much forethought goes in to what is played at HiFi shops in order to showcase a given product. It is usually the antithesis of what I would play to test a pair of loudspeakers during an audition, which would include complex tracks to trip them up, expose their frailty if they have one. How many times have you heard London Grammar, Diana Krall, Daft Punk or Katie Melua played by HiFi dealers during demos? Many, many times. Not because they challenge the HiFi components through which they play but because they are extremely well recorded and produced and will flatter pretty much any system/component however poor.

?

I always take this Cd with me if I am going to test another system , it has just about everything in it to test anything ,and it is also technically brilliant and will stimulate all you senses simultaneously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZLHFxJpe_8

Good point. But I always take my cds. One chesky records ultimate demo cd, one ghazal cd and one Tabla and Ravi Shanker cd.

Thanks for your link. I will check it out as well.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
While Led Zeppelin and Cold Play made careers stealing everyones riffs, David Philips lives his own music without a career musicianship. IMO a true bohemian talent, imperfect.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Very nice, certanly loud and festive but that wont chase the mice away like this will.

Hok-Man Yim: Poems of Thunder

my_MARCO.jpg

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I was adjusting my speakers. Got a new set of stands. Changed a few settings in the amp. Changed speaker positions to hopefully make it better. Repositioned the speakers on stand with soft spacers.

Now I have a bit more sibilance. I changed everything back except the stands but sibilance is still there. , just a but more pronounced. Not sure if stands have anything to do with it. But I just don't know. I will wait for your suggestions and then disconnect and reconnect everything. And see if that helps.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Very nice, certanly loud and festive but that wont chase the mice away like this will.

That is quite similar to another chinese producer He Xun-Tian who has won several awards for sound quality. Here is one track of his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyPx4ivKZA

Most of his seem to have disappeared off youtube, there were some much better ones.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Vladimir said:

That is quite similar to another chinese producer He Xun-Tian who has won several awards for sound quality. Here is one track of his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyPx4ivKZA

Most of his seem to have disappeared off youtube, there were some much better ones.

That is quite enjoyable, thank you. A more refined and textured composition compared to the forceful poem of chinese drums.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
shkumar4963 said:
I was adjusting my speakers. Got a new set of stands. Changed a few settings in the amp. Changed speaker positions to hopefully make it better. Repositioned the speakers on stand with soft spacers.

Now I have a bit more sibilance. I changed everything back except the stands but sibilance is still there. , just a but more pronounced. Not sure if stands have anything to do with it. But I just don't know. I will wait for your suggestions and then disconnect and reconnect everything. And see if that helps.

Use Blutack between the speakers and the stands.

Try to toe them outwards, in case you have them toed in at your listening position.

Any glass, tile and metal surfaces in front of you and the speakers?

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
shkumar4963 said:

Try to toe them outwards, in case you have them toed in at your listening position.

Could not find blu rack from Bostik so bought a generic blu rack from Ace Hardware. Works similar to how blu tack is described to work. But no change in sibilance.

Changed toe in. Not sure if made any significant difference. I will try this a bit more before giving up.

There is a coffee table in the middle that gas glass top. I covered it with a blanket but that did not change sibilance. I will see if removing it will help.

Any other suggestion?

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
shkumar4963 said:

Could not find blu tack from Bostik so bought a generic blu tack from Ace Hardware. Works similar to how blu tack is described to work. No change in sibilance.

Changed toe in a little. Not sure if it made any significant difference. I will try this a bit more before giving up.

There is a coffee table in the middle that has glass top. I covered it with a blanket but that did not change sibilance. I will see if removing it will help.

Any other suggestions?

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
2.5 votes for CM1
No votes for LS50
1/2 vote for DM5 (was it auditioned with LS50?)
Did I hear something else...
I will vote at the end as I have auditioned CM1, CM5, ls50, r300 and PMC twenty 21.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shkumar4963 said:
Any other suggestions?

What stands did you get and are they filled (and if so, with what)?

What stands did you used to have?

Is there a difference in height between the old and new stands?

What cables do you use?

Can you remind us of the rest of your system?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I vote for LS50's over CM1's.

It's not even close. CM1's are too sleep inducingly boring for me to get any pleasure from listening to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts