KEF LS50 disappointment :(

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
shkumar4963 said:
So let's see how many would like CM5 or CM1 or 685s2 compared with LS50 for their main speakers.

They are similarly priced and of similar size.

Let's here from all of yoy not based on theory but based real side by side audition.

Here is a quote from another thread.

Animesh Ghose said:
Heard the ls50 with mf m3i a couple of years ago didn't think much of them bw cm1 sounded a lot better TBH. PMC 21s, however are in complete different league once you get them properly run in.

That makes 2 of us voting for the B&W CM1 sounding better than the KEF LS50.

Ok fair enough. Two votes for CM1.

Anyone else who would like to vote based on your listening test? Add R300 if you prefer that.

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
What interests me what are the thoughts on:

1) KEF LS50 + R400B  vs. R500/R700/R900 floorstanders

2) KEF LS50 + 2xR400B  vs. KEF Reference 1/3/5

What is the best sound quality?

I have not auditioned these combinations. So I will not comment.

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
kingsap said:
I listened to the ls50s and have found it disappointing alot of times to be honest. Just feel it lacking something.

However, ive been to a high end audio show recently. Paired with a gryphon integrated and gryphon cd player...the ls 50 gave me goosebumps. Was my vote for best sound of show. Yes it was compared to atc scm50s, a 100k audionote system, raidho bookshelves, bower wilkin 800d, harbeth m30.1, dynaudio c4, dynaudi c1, wilson sashas 2.

Was very surprised with the results. I reckon these little speakers need alot of TLC to perform to their best. Big heavy stands, proper amp and cables (the system i tested was using a 8000dollars worth of cables.) To be fair, the other systems i tested are not in the same room, so maybe the room itself was the reason.

So true and so strange. I listened to LS50s a few times and left them. Then one day I was at a different dealer and listened to them in a different setup. They were heavenly, better than anything I had heard before and bought then on the spot.

And since then I am trying to create that magic...looking to see if that was due to amplifier, room acoustics or something else ....

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
This is the highest reply thread on the Hi-Fi forum. Some people just can't move on. It's terrible. 

Not terrible. It is wonderful. It is an enigma. Simple things have simple answers. But this LS50 is something else.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
900 posts with theories, measurements examined, listeners sharing experiences, we even had the KEF head of acoustics with a PhD in loudspeaker acoustics, yet a 4" 2-way shall remain a mystery to all. *biggrin*

This is the day speakers beat cables and vinyl vs cd debates on an audiophile forum. Something indeed very special.

What's next? Buy a pair of KEF LS50s and a Rega Brio-R, leave them packed, put all magazines and brochures you can find refering to them, put those in an airtight zip bag and put everything in a time box. Open in 15 years and be happy with the amazing classics everyone talks about again like 15 years ago. I may even bid for yours on ebay thinking, oh man I always wanted one. *crazy*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
shkumar4963 said:
@Vlad....

Here is another quote from Ameesh....

Hi

This is the first time I am buying a pair of speakers without actually demoing.

That's your typical PMC customer. *biggrin* Everyone tells you B&W bad, PMC good, what's there to think or audition? *pardon* Thank goodness PMC makes bloody good speakers.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
shkumar4963 said:
@Vlad....

Hi

That's your typical PMC customer. *biggrin* Everyone tells you B&W bad, PMC good, what's there to think or audition? *pardon* Thank goodness PMC makes bloody good speakers.

Now I'm confused. I like many B&W and PMC speakers, is there someone I can talk to who will absolve me of this sin or at least set me straight?

I also like the CM1s2 on the end of Marantz's M-CR610 (much as I liked the CM1 with the M-CR603) despite the low power of the all in one. Haven't heard the CM1 and LS50 in close enough proximity to say which I prefer, although I think I'd take my DB1i over the CM1.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Add one vote for PMC DB1i.
thumbs_up.gif

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:

There is some truth in this *smile*

But I would buy a pair of B&W Nautilus snail speakers without listening to them in a split second without a second thought and I really don't care what they sound like ,the only trouble is I will never be able to afford a pair or the two pairs of Nemo's to drive them *sad* .

BampWNautilus_zpsc8983f48.jpg

This my contribution to boost the thread to the 1000 mark *biggrin*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
worship.gif

B&W, Spendor, Dali etc. are mostly conventional loudspeaker designs. This is where entering the KEF LS50 or PMC DB1i territory the bored audiophile mind gets all perky and its curriosity and sence of wonder are rejuvenated.

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
ID. said:
Vladimir said:
shkumar4963 said:
@Vlad....

Hi

That's your typical PMC customer. *biggrin* Everyone tells you B&W bad, PMC good, what's there to think or audition? *pardon* Thank goodness PMC makes bloody good speakers.

Now I'm confused. I like many B&W and PMC speakers, is there someone I can talk to who will absolve me of this sin or at least set me straight?

I also like the CM1s2 on the end of Marantz's M-CR610 (much as I liked the CM1 with the M-CR603) despite the low power of the all in one. Haven't heard the CM1 and LS50 in close enough proximity to say which I prefer, although I think I'd take my DB1i over the CM1.

So now there are two and a half votes for CM1. Just because he did not compare them against LS50 in close proxomity.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
kingsap said:
I listened to the ls50s and have found it disappointing alot of times to be honest. Just feel it lacking something.

However, ive been to a high end audio show recently. Paired with a gryphon integrated and gryphon cd player...the ls 50 gave me goosebumps. Was my vote for best sound of show. Yes it was compared to atc scm50s, a 100k audionote system, raidho bookshelves, bower wilkin 800d, harbeth m30.1, dynaudio c4, dynaudi c1, wilson sashas 2.

Was very surprised with the results. I reckon these little speakers need alot of TLC to perform to their best. Big heavy stands, proper amp and cables (the system i tested was using a 8000dollars worth of cables.) To be fair, the other systems i tested are not in the same room, so maybe the room itself was the reason.

Possibly the manufacturers' chosen playlists as well? No surprise how much forethought goes in to what is played at HiFi shows in order to showcase a given product. It is usually the antithesis of what I would play to test a pair of loudspeakers during an audition, which would include complex tracks to trip them up, expose their frailty if they have one. How many times have you heard London Grammar, Diana Krall, Daft Punk or Katie Melua played at shows during demos? Many, many times. Not because they challenge the HiFi components through which they play but because they are extremely well recorded and produced and will flatter pretty much any system/component however poor.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shkumar4963 said:
I listened to LS50s a few times and left them. Then one day I was at a different dealer and listened to them in a different setup. They were heavenly, better than anything I had heard before and bought then on the spot.

And since then I am trying to create that magic...looking to see if that was due to amplifier, room acoustics or something else ....

Possibly the dealer's chosen playlists as well? No surprise how much forethought goes in to what is played at HiFi shops in order to showcase a given product. It is usually the antithesis of what I would play to test a pair of loudspeakers during an audition, which would include complex tracks to trip them up, expose their frailty if they have one. How many times have you heard London Grammar, Diana Krall, Daft Punk or Katie Melua played by HiFi dealers during demos? Many, many times. Not because they challenge the HiFi components through which they play but because they are extremely well recorded and produced and will flatter pretty much any system/component however poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts