Kef E305, What hi-fi review any time soon?????

matn911

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yo

Has anyone got the new Kef E305? what are they like?

i am wanting a change, i currantly have Kef KHT2005.3 which i have loved and am really tempted to change

matt

buzz_lightclick

I'm not sure if the E305 speakers are a replacement for the 2005.3 or the 3005SE. To me they don't look as high end as the 3005SE and their price point is a bit lower than the 3005s were on release, but that may just be the design.

awso25

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I recently went to try out the KEF E305 as well as the KHT3005se as I'm looking to set up my home cinema. (This is in Hong Kong by the way)

The build quality of the KHT3005se is so much better than the E305, to me the E305 seems to be made of plastic (however, each speaker feels solid when you hold them), and does feel like it's going to be the entry level for the E series when KEF decide to expand the series with more models. I don't like the fixed plastic grills either, they make the speakers look cheap.

The KEF sales rep told me that they will not continue to sell the KHT3005se, but did not directly say whether the E305 is the replacement of KHT3005se.

When I went to another store (non KEF store) to test out the KHT3005se, the sales rep told me the E305 is not the replacement for KHT3005se. The replacement for KHT3005se is going to arrive around December time.

Listening to the E305 I find it to be quite easy on the ears. I think alot of reviewers already said the sub is not that strong and I do agree, but one thing I noticed about the E305 is that the whole package works together really well, they work in harmony without one part overwhelming the other. Music seems to sound quite well on it too (I also tested out MA MASS, and didn't like how music sounded on them).

On the other hand, to me the KHT3005se has abit more punch.

I'm still thinking which one to get, the E305 or the KHT3005se. The prices for both are pretty close, the E305 for £750 and KHT3005se for £850 (all the stores here are having a sale on the KHT3005se as I believe they're tyring to clear the stock).

Anyone has any recommendation on which one is better value for the price listed?

buzz_lightclick

awso25 said:
I recently went to try out the KEF E305 as well as the KHT3005se as I'm looking to set up my home cinema. (This is in Hong Kong by the way)

The build quality of the KHT3005se is so much better than the E305, to me the E305 seems to be made of plastic (however, each speaker feels solid when you hold them), and does feel like it's going to be the entry level for the E series when KEF decide to expand the series with more models. I don't like the fixed plastic grills either, they make the speakers look cheap.

The KEF sales rep told me that they will not continue to sell the KHT3005se, but did not directly say whether the E305 is the replacement of KHT3005se.

When I went to another store (non KEF store) to test out the KHT3005se, the sales rep told me the E305 is not the replacement for KHT3005se. The replacement for KHT3005se is going to arrive around December time.

Listening to the E305 I find it to be quite easy on the ears. I think alot of reviewers already said the sub is not that strong and I do agree, but one thing I noticed about the E305 is that the whole package works together really well, they work in harmony without one part overwhelming the other. Music seems to sound quite well on it too (I also tested out MA MASS, and didn't like how music sounded on them).

On the other hand, to me the KHT3005se has abit more punch.

I'm still thinking which one to get, the E305 or the KHT3005se. The prices for both are pretty close, the E305 for £750 and KHT3005se for £850 (all the stores here are having a sale on the KHT3005se as I believe they're tyring to clear the stock).

Anyone has any recommendation on which one is better value for the price listed?

Thanks for that, pretty much as I thought then. I agree the E305 are a bit cheap looking and have a plasticky appearance, probably because of the fixed grills. I much prefer the design of the 3005SE, but it appears the E305 are a model down in the series if what you have been told is correct (probably level with the 2005.3 from the previous range). It will be interesting to see what the real 3005SE replacements will be like when they are released in December.

In the UK you can get the 3005SE for £750 now from many stores as they are clearing stock, that is a bargain price, I think they are very good speakers and particularly like the dedicated centre speaker you get with them which sets them apart from something like the B&W M1s.

Gingerone

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm going for a demo of these today :)

I've downsized from a dedicated room so looking for a lifestyle package that fits in with our living room and is wife friendly and these seem to fit the bill nicely, I've owned the the original eggs so know what I'm getting compared to my dedicated setup.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that these are replacing the KHT3005se but if there is going to be a higher end model coming out in December I may hang on till then.

Having seen these in person though I think the styling and build quality is fantastic and looks much higher end than the 3005se, but it's all down to individual taste I suppose.

awso25

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
How'd you find the E305 in your demo?

I'm still deciding between the E305 and KHT3005SE. On the one hand KHT3005SE has better specs, but E305 has the latest iteration of KEF technologies. Hmm, tough to decide.

Gingerone

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
It went really well, I'm very surprised by how good these sounded. I've owned the very first keg eggs and I was expecting some of the brightness that you used to get with those but there was none of it.

If I hadn't known I was listening to the kefs I would have thought I was listening to normal sized speakers.

The sub was quite a surprise as well, I've owned an eight inch rel quake before and I was expecting a similar performance but the kef sub sounded controlled and tight with no boom.

Overall though it was the natural quality that sold me on them and I will be picking up a set as soon as funds allow.

TRENDING THREADS