kef 3005sek2 speakers and qed micro

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi. i am just wondering weather qed micro would be suitable for these speakers as this is the only cable that will fit between carpet and skirting or would i be better with something like qed silver anniversary xt for the rears as well as fronts,thanks.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
QED micro is okay, but if you can afford better, I'd go for it. Unless your carpet is glued to the floor, it's easy enough to lift, and most of QED's cable range can be run under the carpet and/or underlay without being noticable. Running cables immediately behind the gripper bar is best (if you have them) since the gripper bars afford the cable some protection from the weight of heavy furniture (bookcases etc) placed on top of it.

A

Anonymous

Hi,wireman thanks for the advice,my wife does not want me to lift my carpet thats why i am looking at the micro.
Iam going to buy the kef 3005sek2 speakers with the qed silver anniverary xt free from a online store in with the price so i wanted to get use of it rather than sell it,but to save upsetting the wife i will get the micro.what do you think.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I use Chord Carnival SilverScreen for just the front three speakers (which is very thick), and standard QED Micro for the surrounds (the complete opposite, very small and flexible). The improvement to all speakers was immense.

So I'd consider using the QED SA XT that's included (an excellent cable by all accounts), but just on the fronts. Then use Micro for the longer stretches to the rears.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
simoncar:Hi,wireman thanks for the advice,my wife does not want me to lift my carpet thats why i am looking at the micro. Iam going to buy the kef 3005sek2 speakers with the qed silver anniverary xt free from a online store in with the price so i wanted to get use of it rather than sell it,but to save upsetting the wife i will get the micro.what do you think.
Micro is okay - I've used that for customers whose wives similarly don't understand. Frankly, I'd just wait 'til the wife goes out shopping, then rip the carpets up. She'll never know. You can buy a carpet stretcher from B&Q for just a few quid, so it'll look just the same by time she gets home.

I'm using QED classic cable with regular 3005SE's (with the donut sub), but I installed those cables some 8 years ago... under the floors and plastered into the walls. If I did it all again today, I'd probably use Anniversary... it's a better sounding cable in my view, and I think you'd notice the improvement over the Micro with the 3005's. I wouldn't get divorced over it, but I'd say it'd probably be worth having a darned good argument about it!

If you lose that argument (as you inevitably will), the one consolation with Micro is that it's easily worked, and you can even use a hot-melt glue gun to stick it to architrave, skirting, even walls if you need to hold it in place.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
one thing to be wary of if you are going to mount the speaker on the KEF stands is that the size of the cable that can be fed up the stands is small, I have the micro to the rears which fits easily enough and the silver anniversary for my fronts which is tight but will fit, I think some of the chord cable wont fit and also remember not to terminate both ends of the cable as you wont get them fed through.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice,have decided to go for qed silver micro for rears and qed sa xt for the fronts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts