KDL-40EX503 & KDL-40EX403

19mad69

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I am after a little help. I was going to purchase the Panasonic TX-P42G20B plasma, but have seen good reviews about the Sony KDL-40EX503. Having seen the G20 in the flesh I was hoping to compare it with the 40EX503, but I am unable to find any stores with stock. Nipped into Comet the other night and they had the 40EX403 on display, HD pictures excellent but SD not so good. Salesman tried to say that the problem was caused by a shared feed, even thou the G20 was on the same feed the picture quality on SD was so much better.

Is there a vast improvement to the 40EX503 over the 40EX403, or is the SD picture going to be the same?

Before I part with my hard earned cash I would like to make the right decision.

Thanks Martin

matthewpiano

Not a massive difference in the basic picture quality, although the contrast is higher on the EX503, with slightly better black levels. Otherwise the only real difference is that the '503 has the 100Hz MotionFlow feature, whereas the '403 is only 50Hz.

A

Anonymous

Just run through the same thing. 403 retails at a good £150 less for the 100Hz. However check out Richer Sounds. I've picked up a 40EX503 on Saturday for £650! I traded in a 20 year old portable TV we had in the loft at the same time. And as I understand it they don't have to be working so if you ain't got one I'd *** to your local tip and grab one there!

A

Anonymous

Richers Link

http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/sony/bravia-kdl40ex503/sony-kdl40ex503

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello martin,

I have a 40EX503 and i can confirm that SD images do suffer a little even when compared to my 40W5500 that i just replaced. The W5500 dealt with an SD signal far better than this latest TV, the 503 suffers with pixelation and motion with an SD signal but on the other hand the HD images are improved over the W5500 so i'm guessing that maybe there is more focus on HD with this years models??

I can't say i have looked at the 403 so for a direct comparison so try a Sony Centre if you can get to one. I would expect the two TV's to deal with SD in the same way as they share alot of components so if SD is your main concern then perhaps the G20 may suit you better...on the other hand you could use it as an excuse to upgrade to HD like me. I have just added a VirginHD box for no extra monthly fee and just the cost of delivery, just in time for the world cup! I know the 503 has a Freeview HD tuner in it but my area is not due to receive this for another year so it seemed a no brainer.

Nick.

19mad69

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Hello Nick,

I managed to see the 40EX503 in the flesh at M&S yesterday and the picture in SD is the same as the 40EX403. The main reason will be that I sit too close, approx 9ft, which I think for this size of screen would be the min. Also went into my local Sony centre and looked at the 37EX403, which would be better for my seating position but the way there trade in deal works it is cheaper to buy the 40"!!

What I dont want to do is buy the 40EX503 hoping that I will get used to it. I have two other LCD screens in the house a 26" Samsung and a 20" Toshiba. They have the same issues as the Sony but are not stretched to 40" and they are watched at a distance to suit the size of panel.

I do live in area that has switched over so I can recieve the HD material, but at the moment there are only three channels. May have to go with my original choice in the Panasonic G20.

Thanks for all your replys,

Martin

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello Martin,

Sounds like the G20 then to me...if you have concerns over another LCD and SD is your main requirement then get the G20 as i feel you would be disappointed with the 40EX503. The 503 is an excellent tv but i can say for sure that the SD picture would grate on you over time and after all you are going to be looking at it ALOT so best to look at the panny, as a heads up on price i found Amazon had it for £838 which seemed really good as Richer Sounds want £899 but don't forget you can play them off against amazon and get the price matched plus an extra 10% off!

All the best and hope you get a new TV soon.

Nick.

A

Anonymous

Hi Oldboy, when you refer to the sd picture is that through the aerial or your Virgin box or just sd in general upscaled by the tv?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
NSYGrinner,

I am talking about a direct comparison with both Vbox via scart and freeview via aerial when compared to my old 40W5500. I mostly watch SD via the Vbox but usually switch over to freeview for football on ITV as it's blocky as hell via the Vbox and in both cases the SD picture is poorer on the 503 but as i said before it's certainly NOT terrible and perfectly watchable, it just has a bit more noise in the picture.

The best way i can describe the difference is that with the 503 i find i need to turn on the Noise Reduction and MPEG Noise Reduction to the 'low' setting and increase the sharpness to 15 so that the softness the noise reduction introduces is dialled out. With those settings i get a picture almost on a par with the W5500 but that TV needed no processing introduced with SD and infact turning on things like NR made the picture worse.

Hope that dosen't sound as clear as mud LOL!

I should add that DVD pictures are excellent (better than the 40W5500) and that the only SD source i am comparing here is the TV.

A

Anonymous

That's the sort of info I was looking for. It's actually the HX703 which is on my shortlist so any info highlighting the sort of things I need to look out for is greatly appreciated. I been recommended the EX503 instead of the EX703.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yeah from what i've been reading the 503 is the star buy of the bunch this year when you consider what tech you get for your money but i understand the allure of the lovely edge lit LED of the ex703! I done alot of research this year before buying the 503 having looked at the 703 myself but at the end of the day it's quite a premium price for the LED screen because there is very little difference in terms of tech in the 703 that you don't get in the 503.

My mind was made up when i saw the two sets in the sony centre...for the difference in price i was really struggling to pick out any difference in the images, if i was pushed i would say the 703 had slightly better black levels but that was about it. For me the extra price (about £200-£300) just couldn't be justified no matter how nice it looks! But i can see why you are tempted lol.

dave63

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Oldboy,

Thanks for a very useful post. I've been struggling to make a decision about a new TV, 1st choice was the 40EX503 then I was drawn to the HX703 and your experience above I think confirms my decision to save £300 and stick with the 503. The fact that the latest tech gets instantly replaced by something better and cheaper (as recently happened to Sony's bdps760 bluray deck just after I bought it) makes me reluctant to throw too much money at a new TV. Re the SD picture shortcomings reported above on the 503, does this apply to SD material (Freeview or Virgin) upscaled thru HDMI? I think though I would rather accept this than any compromises on the HD output.

I am also thinking seriously about upgrading to the Virgin HD+ service. I assume I'm right in thinking they won't throw in an HDMI cable to connect box to TV and I'll need to buy another myself. Also could someone who has the V+ HD box let me have its dimensions (wxhxd)

Thanks

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
For what it's worth.

The 40ex703 has been mentioned,my neighbour has had one for 3 weeks & she is thrilled to bits with it.She hasn't mentioned blocking or pixellation.I stand to be corrected but isn't blocking a signal issue rather than the tv.

I've seen it a number of times & have to say i'm really impressed with the freeview SD picture,no pixellation or blocking on it whenever i've seen it,i've been looking for 2 years now for a set that could match my 36" crt picture & this is the best i've seen.I think it's a great SD picture.

The difference i noticed between the 503 which i also thought was very good & the 703 was the facial colour,i thought they were a lot better on the 703.

A

Anonymous

Read my review of the KDL-40EX503 and decide for yourself....

Got mine early May 2010. What can I say? This would
be my 5th SONY Bravia LCD. 40"V, 40"W, 40"X, 40"Z amd finally the 40"EX.
Which of those does not have a backlight issue? Sadly the 40"V, which
is also the cheapest.

My 40"EX has backlight bleed/clouding in both top corners. Motionflow
is good, but with panning scenes its just simply not as what hi-fi puts
it. Its a very mediocre television. Nothing about it made me excited.
It is just another lcd TV and here I would like to start a bit of a
debate:

I have literally read thousands of television reviews in the past two
years. After distilling most of them, I can honestly say, that there is
not an lcd TV that does not have some sort of screen uniformity issues.
Some of us, swith on the TV, watch a program or movie and thats it.
Others, (including myself) tend to marvel at the brightness and
contrast, the colors and the black levels. After all, we have waited
years to be treated to such audio visual splendour in our own homes. And
lets face it, these TV's are not cheap.

So why do I feel that we are being 'experimented' on? Yeah ok, the
screen is not perfectly uniform so what? For me its a big deal. So ccfl
backlights does not work too well. So lets try LED. Oh my goodness LED
has its own issues so lets do local dimming. Oh my word, after producing
100000000 models our local dimming is causing ghosting all over the
place.

Frankly for the price we pay for some of this technology, it should
be VERY GOOD. I dont care about the sound. Sound is very relative to the
listener. But most of us can distinguish between black and white, or
blue and red, if you follow.

I dont really care if my screen is not pitch black or the so called
'inky' black. As long as there is no information on the screen which is
not coming from the source (TV broadcast, DVD, Blu Ray). Yes, Im talking
about those white patches becoming every so bloody irritating when you
are watching any source whith black bars at the top and bottom.

I feel this is all pathetic. And the major culprit here I feel is
SONY. As you may have noted in my opening paragraph, I have not changed
my brand - even though I am having a serious outburst here. But why can
the guys and gals at SONY, not try to make the screen uniform. For an
entire year, What Hi-Fi has been harping on and on about the
'inconsistent' backlight issues.

Lets face it, we cannot simply becuase of one reviewed sample, and
another over the moon customer with no backlight issues, suddenly assume
all is well. Because clearly it isnt.

I feel that LCD is rotten technology that should be placed in a tube
and shot into space. Why dont we all give plasma a shot?

LCD TV's are like a bad hi-fi system. At first, we are amazed by the
sparkling treble and thumping bass - as we are with the LCD brightness
and the big sizes. Then after a while, it grows tiresome. We reduce the
backlight to '0', we push buttons all night long, we calibrate, and
whatnot. But you are stuck with something that claims to be more than it
is and what it can deliver.

I challenge SONY to change my mind about all of this.

Concluding: I dont brag about my TV. When I watch with someone else, I
wonder if they are also quietly spotting the white strobe lights in the
corners but keep their mouths shut out of politeness. Its an
embarrasment. The no of times and the money I have spend in transporting
the models back and forth from the shop to find the perfect one has all
been completely fruitless.

FEDUPWITHSONYUNTILFURTHERNOTICE

A

Anonymous

Wow! five tvs before you have got fed up with Sony and lcds. You must have the patience of a saint (not meaning to sound patronising). I keep reading good things about various tvs and think "right then that's on the shortlist to demo" then I read comments like yours which put me back to square one. Sometimes I think the people who go to Comet/Currys etc for their tvs have the right idea. Just be ignorant to a few facts, stand infront of a few screens, oooh that one looks nice, buy it and enjoy. No knowledge of what they are missing out on, but no stress either. Back to trawling the net. Can't wait till the weekend when the next issue comes through the door gives me some more food for thought.

A

Anonymous

I have the 40ex503. no backlight issues. brilliant picture. great black. replaced my 37w5710 which had terrible backlight issues. have sky hd and view sd over hdmi and the picture is great. no blocking or pixilating. i would highly recommend this tv. HD and hdmi is the way forward. HD freeview is also great

A

Anonymous

I have posted elsewhere that I really fancy a 40 or 46" HX703. I am concerned about the freeview picture as we had On digital years ago and got an aerial upgrade which points to Emley Moor. Unfortunatley we are on the wrong side of a hill, the picture kept blocking up into a mosaic and freezing. We can't even get Channel 5 through an analogue tuner.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
LOL! Definately not the patience of a saint that's for sure but i know what you mean :) My comments really shouldn't put you off the 503 as in this case i have had only one replacement. I should also say that the first 2 TV's i had were Samsung LE40B650's and they were TERRIBLE!! Pixels always alight, backlight problems and built seemingly of paper on the rear panel (connecting any source pushed the entire rear panel into the screen to an alarming depth even when careful) and the aerial didn't even fit on the connection on the TV as it was too big....i could go on!

I'm of the opinion all Tv's come with problems unless you double your budget so perhaps your thoughts on being ignorant have some merit as it's hard to be disappointed if you don't know what you are missing out on lol!

For example i am now picking out problems with motion on the 503 that i'm not sure is just me being overly critical after my past experiences or an actual problem but if i was a little more ignorant about my purchase would i be looking for/find those motion problems? More food for thought? LOL.

Oh and by the way my TV signal is poor also and i can't get Five via anologue either and bad weather destroys the digital picture!

A

Anonymous

Ha HA HA. Thanks again. That's the Samsung LE40c650 off any lists then. At this rate I wonder if I will actually get around to getting a 2010 model.

My shorlist now is Panasonic 42G, V20, 42D25 or the Sony 40/46 HX703 or EX503. No doubt whatever I decide the wife will have something to say, "Frame too shiny, will be a fingerprint magnet. I don't like the stand, Don't like that red light there. Why can't it.." etc

Why did I have to say I'm going to get a new tele instead of a Sonos system (it's being funded by some block paving jobs)?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
LOL, i'm not being very helpful here am i! All i seem to be doing is crossing TV's off your list so time to be more positive...i looked at a G20 in the flesh yesterday and got to say i was impressed. The plasma panel puts the colours on the 503 to shame and of course you get lovely deep blacks and a 42" screen, SD material was dealt with ease and i could see no artifacts like the 503 can sometimes introduce but i felt that HD was very, very close between the two. I think the G20 is the way i should've gone...after seeing it up and running and putting my plasma concerns to one side i think it is superior to the 503 no matter what the WHF review said, but at that time they reviewed the G20 as being a £1000 TV but now you can get it for about £830 i think the tide has turned.

Can't comment on any of the others as i've not seen them but i have to admit to giving myself a slap on the head for not getting the G20....now how can i get this 503 sent back i wonder LOL.

And why is it that the other half is never interested in what the TV does but just what it looks like? Glad i'm not the only one with that problem, for example i was told the 503 was ok as it had a piano black gloss frame and silver bottom which would suit the decor...HD freeview etc meant nothing to her atall, it was all about styling and colour LOL.

A

Anonymous

aim listed:I have the 40ex503. no backlight issues. brilliant picture. great black. replaced my 37w5710 which had terrible backlight issues. have sky hd and view sd over hdmi and the picture is great. no blocking or pixilating. i would highly recommend this tv. HD and hdmi is the way forward. HD freeview is also great

I have a 40EX403 and also have no backlight issues. This replaced a 40S2010, which also had no backlight issues. I use it for daily viewing (I agree, Freeview HD is great and the optical out from the TV to my amp also means proper 5.1), also via my PVR and think the picture quality is excellent. I would have considered paying the extra for a 503, but I use a projector for movies, so don't need 100Mhz, which is the only real difference.

Hope this provides a bit of balance.

Ian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts