Just for fun, its 1982

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Geoff P.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your service.
You're very welcome, SR. Although we shouldn't forget that just as much effort was put in by civilian companies and workers at the time, to get the ships, aircraft and equipment to the front.
I'm not sure if we could rely on the idea of "service" if something similar happened today - I get the feeling that a lot of people would ask "what's in it for me ?", but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
So just for fun, its 1982 and Dire Straits have just released "Love over Gold", you have a Sondek, a Dragon and a Phillips CD104. Do you buy the LP, the chrome tape or the CD? I'm listening to it on Tidal right now but that wasn't an option back then. oh no okay wait 40 years.

Going back to 1982 would not be fun. Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris and Gary Glitter were at their peak. The miners strike was looming. British made cars were poop, with Red Robbo at Leyland. The music was poop with the likes of the Pet Shop Boys. Thank goodness for John Peel.

Oh, you asked a question? Well I would not buy that album, I might like it today, back then it was too mainstream for me, more likely Gong, Motorhead or Hawkwind, and probably on cassette, I think I had a lovely Sony Walkman.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
You're very welcome, SR. Although we shouldn't forget that just as much effort was put in by civilian companies and workers at the time, to get the ships, aircraft and equipment to the front.
I'm not sure if we could rely on the idea of "service" if something similar happened today - I get the feeling that a lot of people would ask "what's in it for me ?", but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Just tell the youngsters that the enemy collect gollywogs and misgender trans people, and they would be queuing up round the block to wipe them off the face of the earth.

Like others I respect those who served in our forces during times of trouble.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
The problem with British Leyland, was arrogant and very poor management. They thought they could could carry on making poorly designed and built cars cheaply and, that The Commonwealth people would keep buying those cars for ever, because they were British. They were wrong.

Indeed, useless management who failed to invest in new designs, and they bought out the remains for nowt, and sold them on for a fortune. That said, the unions back then were a serious problem. Flying pickets and secondary picketing, no secret ballots, intimidation of scabs etc.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Going back to 1982 would not be fun. Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris and Gary Glitter were at their peak. The miners strike was looming. British made cars were poop, with Red Robbo at Leyland. The music was poop with the likes of the Pet Shop Boys. Thank goodness for John Peel.

Oh, you asked a question? Well I would not buy that album, I might like it today, back then it was too mainstream for me, more likely Gong, Motorhead or Hawkwind, and probably on cassette, I think I had a lovely Sony Walkman.

To be fair I wouldn't have bought back, Heavy Metal and Hard Rock, didnt get into them until about 1986 when a friend lent me their fist album, they may even have split up by then?

Oxfordian

The problem with British Leyland, was arrogant and very poor management. They thought they could could carry on making poorly designed and built cars cheaply and, that The Commonwealth people would keep buying those cars for ever, because they were British. They were wrong.

I worked in a British Leyland car dealership back at the end of the 70’s early 80’s, we had cars roll off the delivery transporter with different colour interior seats, we had one turn up with a door missing, Radio’s were hardly ever in place, just wires hanging out the dashboard where the radio should be. One car had to be rolled off the transporter as it didn’t have an engine, we asked the driver how it got on and he shrugged and said they pushed it on at the yard.

The rubber seals to stop water getting into the car were often missing, wipers were not fitted, paint colours on doors and panels not matching, nothing fitted tight inside - the instrument binnacle rattled something chronic, we had doors, boot lids and bonnets that didn’t close properly.

BL quality control was a bit poor in those days. :)

On the music front I had loads of singles, 7 and 12 inch, I ran a disco with a mate at weekends, it was great for pulling the…… oops sorry going off topic a bit there. Anyway as I grew older and left home I gave everything away, I often wish I hadn’t done that.

Reactions: Noddy

TRENDING THREADS