Bit of Fun - Favourite Albums v Most Played

Oxfordian

Been watching a few YT videos recently and it would seem that there is a thread going round where YT'rs are detailing their 10 most played albums, not necessarily their all time favourites.

The principal of the thread is that when you get into your listening room/space and you look at you collection you realise that you just don't know what to choose so you reach for something from that small selection of albums that get played far more often than anything else in your collection, now it may or may not be your favourite albums but something that you could listen to irrespective of mood or circumstance.

Now I understand that it is all designed to get views but I thought that it would be a bit of fun to have a go albeit not on a YT channel, so here are my top 10 All Time Favourites and my 10 Most Played (not in any particular order)

ATF

Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
Billy Joel - Stranger
Simon and Garfunkel - BOTW
Eric Clapton - Journeyman
Fairground Attraction - First of a Million Kisses
Bob Seager - Ultimate Hits
REM - Automatic for the People
Bill Withers - Greatest Hits
Eva Cassidy - Songbird
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Bonus - Eagles - Hotel California

Most Played

Billy Joel - Stranger
Dire Straits - Love over Gold
Belinda Carlisle - Heaven on Earth
Dexter Gordon - One Flight up
Status Quo - Hello
John Lee Hooker - The Healer
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat
Carol King - Tapestry
Who - Who's Next

Bonus - Holly Cole - Temptation

Some of the favourites aren't played often as I hear tracks too often so they only get rolled out occasionally, other favourites I simply have to be in the mood to play them. The Most Played are my go to albums when I just don't know what to play or an going to have a short session, it may be just a quick listen before bed or before going out.

Anyone care to join in?

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Been watching a few YT videos recently and it would seem that there is a thread going round where YT'rs are detailing their 10 most played albums, not necessarily their all time favourites.

The principal of the thread is that when you get into your listening room/space and you look at you collection you realise that you just don't know what to choose so you reach for something from that small selection of albums that get played far more often than anything else in your collection, now it may or may not be your favourite albums but something that you could listen to irrespective of mood or circumstance.

Now I understand that it is all designed to get views but I thought that it would be a bit of fun to have a go albeit not on a YT channel, so here are my top 10 All Time Favourites and my 10 Most Played (not in any particular order)

ATF

Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
Billy Joel - Stranger
Simon and Garfunkel - BOTW
Eric Clapton - Journeyman
Fairground Attraction - First of a Million Kisses
Bob Seager - Ultimate Hits
REM - Automatic for the People
Eva Cassidy - Songbird
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Bonus - Eagles - Hotel California

Most Played

Billy Joel - Stranger
Dire Straits - Love over Gold
Belinda Carlisle - Heaven on Earth
Dexter Gordon - One Flight up
Status Quo - Hello
John Lee Hooker - The Healer
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat
Carol King - Tapestry
Who - Who's Next

Bonus - Holly Cole - Temptation

Some of the favourites aren't played often as I hear tracks too often so they only get rolled out occasionally, other favourites I simply have to be in the mood to play them. The Most Played are my go to albums when I just don't know what to play or an going to have a short session, it may be just a quick listen before bed or before going out.

Anyone care to join in?
Most played for me:
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Gary Numan - Savage ( Songs From a Broken World)
Simple Minds - Street Fighting Years
Gary Numan & The Scaparis Orchestra - When The Sky Came Down (Live at the Bridgewater Hall Manchester)
U2- The Joshua Tree
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Depeche Mode - Greatest Hits 86 - 98
Florence and the Machine - Ceremonials

Favourites is a really hard one to narrow down to ten but a lot of my favourites are not on my most played.

Reactions: Oxfordian
A whole album will tend to be CD as, well, why not? So no data. But I suspect some of my favourites have been played an awful lot and aren't necessarily the most consistent - an album on in the background will tend to be something with little 'filler' on it. For example, my favourite album by The Cure is Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me, but I think it's half marvellous and half meh.

Just a few fav albums. In no particular order:

The Jam - Sound Affects
The Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
Squeeze - Eastside Story
Northern Soul - Best Of
Crowded House - Woodface
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Joan Armatrading - Whatever's For Us
Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life & Looking Back (Anthology).

There are others....

DCarmi

I tend to "find" an new album and play the thing to death. However, stuff I do tend to revisit regularly include:
  • Bowie - Hunky Dory, Ziggy and Station to Station
  • Talk Talk - Colour of Spring
  • Stones - Let it bleed
  • Yes - Close to the edge, Fragile
  • SIbelius - Symphony #3
  • Radiohead - A moon shaped pool
  • Pink Floyd - Meddle, Wish you were here, DSOTM
  • Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' else
  • Miles Davis - (several)
  • Mahler - Synphony #5
  • Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
  • Beethoven - Violin Concerto, Quartets (usually late at nigh with a book)

I tend to "find" an new album and play the thing to death. However, stuff I do tend to revisit regularly include:
  • Stones - Let it bleed
  • SIbelius - Symphony #3
  • Mahler - Synphony #5
There's some fair old variety there - good for you.

DCarmi

There's some fair old variety there - good for you.
I've always had an eclectic taste in music from a very young age. I could easily treble that list. I am one of these people who dislike silence.

The one area that my Mother and her parents loved and I don't get is opera and choral. All 3 were in choirs and my Grandparents did amateur light opera and by Grandfather, when he was young, was a semi-professional soloist who sang at places like St Martins-in-the -field. My Grandmother showed me a review of one of his performances from the Evening Standard which was effusive. Sadly I never saw my Grandparents in a performance. I never even heard him play the piano, which looking back I find very odd.

I now have my Mother's record collection of largely opera and choral and shamefully I have hardly played any.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I love they "play to death" comment. When I find a new album or rediscover one I'd forgotten about my kids always say "oh great dad's got a new favourite, we'll hear nothing but that for the next 6 months" 🤣 wildly exaggerated of course as kids do.
  • Stones - Let it bleed
  • SIbelius - Symphony #3
  • Mahler - Synphony #5

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Rachmaninoff "The Isle of the Dead" Op.45
"Symphonic Dances" Op.29
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Vladimir Ashkenazy. EMI
Gong Live etc
Gong You
Gong Angels Egg
Gong /Here and Now Floating Anarchy
Steve Hillage Live Herald
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
Aretha Franklin Respect
Rachmaninoff Complete Piano Concertos. Earl Wild.
Mozart Complete Piano Concertos. Lili Kraus. Vienna Festival Orchestra. Steven Simon. Columbia.
Beethoven Piano Concertos Emil Gilels. George Szell.
Led Zeppelin 1, 2, 3,4.
Primus. Sailing on the Seas of Cheese.
Beethoven Symphony 5, 6. Karagan.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
The the : Mind Bomb
Bonnie prince Billy /Matt Sweeney : Superwolf
Pj Harvey : Dry, Rid of me
The Bathers : Kelvingrove Baby
The twilight sad, forget the night ahead
Frightened Rabbit, The midnight organ fight
The Decemberists : The Hazards of love, the king is dead, picaresque
Black Country New Road : Ants from up there (deluxe edition)
Prince :Sign O the times, Love Sexy, around the world in a day,Parade
Laura Marling : Once I was a Eagle,
Dire Straits : Alchemy
The Black Angels : Passover
Talking Heads : Stop Making Sense
The Clash : London Calling
.....God I could be here all night......

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Ha ha. I remember the days when friends would give cassettes to each other with all sorts of different tracks on. And then if they gave you an album on a long playing cassette there would be space at the end for something else and it sometimes finished mid track. And you're right, no one called them play lists back then.

Oxfordian

I think we're missing the point with some of the replies here - the OP was asking whether your favourite albums are your most played, or whether they differ - not for a list of favourites.
Correct, I asked the question as there is a theme going around YT where the wonderful YTr's list their most played LP's rather than their favourites, the theory being that when you sit down to have a listening session and you realise that you haven't a clue what you want to listen to what do you reach for?

Apparently each of us has a bank of 10 or so LP's that we love to play irrespective of what mood we are in but they may not be our favourite LP's.

So out of curiosity and just for a bit of fun do when you have that 'I can't decide what to play' moment do reach for one of these most played LP's or one of your all time favourite LP's, do you have a set of most of most played LP's and a list of favourite LP's or is it a mix of both

I will never ever tire of listening to Stranger by Billy Joel it is just a great LP it sits in both my MP and ATF lists, however Bat out of Hell is my all time favourite LP as I just love it and have done since I bought it back when it was first launched, but I rarely play it nowadays but love it when I hear a track being played on Radio or in a pub.

And, thanks to everyone who has put a list up, it seems we have a wide range of tastes which is great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts