Just bought a Marantz UD7007 - what a machine

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Still really slow - safari is pants and needs shutting down when like this !! Will feedback on the player when I can but first impressions have far exceeded my expectations in terms of blu ray picture and sound. Another what hifi review that is bang on except my machine reacts fast to the remote - its the best player I have seen in this regard as well including cheap sonys that are fast to use so they must have improved it in newer machines manufactured which is happy days

When Safari gets painfully slow on my iPad, I close the browser, then double click the home button to show up all running programmes and long press Safari until the "X" shows up and all the running apps start jiggling. I then close Safari by clicking on the "X". I then restart Safari - the sluggishness disappears.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
When Safari gets painfully slow on my iPad, I close the browser, then double click the home button to show up all running programmes and long press Safari until the "X" shows up and all the running apps start jiggling. I then close Safari by clicking on the "X". I then restart Safari - the sluggishness disappears.

This is what I do, go into the settings and click on Safari and then clear cookies and history. That speeds it up again for me. I will have to try your method BB too.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Still really slow - safari is pants and needs shutting down when like this !! Will feedback on the player when I can but first impressions have far exceeded my expectations in terms of blu ray picture and sound. Another what hifi review that is bang on except my machine reacts fast to the remote - its the best player I have seen in this regard as well including cheap sonys that are fast to use so they must have improved it in newer machines manufactured which is happy days

Could you elaborate and tell us how you have this machine connected? I love my 751, especially connected through the analogues where sound is spectacular and as for picture, mine is connected directly to the TV.

Just curious how you are setup and whether you have tested it through analogue and HDMI etc.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have been super busy today not had time to watch anymore or write on here - I nomally close safari fully and reopen then its fine but you lose open tabs and the mrs had some open I wisely didnt want her to lose save an ear bashing.

I have only had approx 1hour and a half using the player so minimal time but it was enough for me to see what I am about to write. I am going to fully expalin everything as there is limited stuff online from owners about the 7007 so its about time someone put some info out there about how good it is. I watched some scenes I know extremely well in Dark Kinight Rises, Transformers 2, Skyfall, Avengers Assemble and Ratatouille on Sat all 2D

I bought the player blind based on the WHF reviews and a few other bits I have picked up online and the fact that they are right about the LX55 in terms of its sound and picture - more on this in a bit., I felt I could get better performance for blu ray and that my system warranted a better player and better performance given the quality of thekit, I mainly wanted to improve the sound quality of blu rays - the LX55 is a good clean sound but it is lacking once you have heard a better player as per the WHF Review.

I bought it from SSAV in Sevenoaks as they had stock on Sat for me to pop in and get it there and then. The sales guy said that the 2 players i.e. the LX55 and the 7007 wouldnt be chalk and cheese - well that shows he has never properly seen / heard them both going / what they are capable of.

I have it setup wired HDMI into my processor via the HD621 which is a hdmi switcher, audio upscaler - I have it decoding the audio to PCM thats then fed to the HD621 which then feeds the Processor all remaining digital - thats the Meridian way. The HD621 then is wired into my Kuro LX5090 obviously by HDMI

The 7007 is a different class of player to the LX55 its in a very different price band obviously but for those who think there is little to no difference between blu ray players the 7007 produces the cleanest, crispest, sharpest picture I have seen for the BD format with the least amount of noise, and best colour pallette that gives the image so much more presence than I knew was possible - thats not even the best bit - its the fluidity of the picture that is produced that is the most suprising. You realise that the LX55 (and other lesser players I have owned / seen) are actually what I can only describe as "missing frames" by comparison to the 7007. I first noticed this when I bought my second blu ray player the LX71, I had a Panasonic BD80 at the time at that seemed to be missing frames compared to the 71. Now I dont think its actually missing frames but I will use an example to try and explain -in Transformers 2 there is a fight sence in the woods just before Optomus Prime dies - now I have always found the fighting to be extremely hard to follow, its been the case on every player I have owned / seen it on up until now, but its got progressively better with each player (and tv calibration) that I have bought. With the LX55 I thought I was getting the best pic possible and put the difficult to follow fighting down to poor CG in the film, I thought its blurred becuase of the sheer mass of detail needed for each CG character in such a fast moving scene.

Well I was wrong - with the 7007 its perfectly clear and easy to follow the fighting, the image stays clean and crisp throughout that whole scene and the level of detail is amazing. In each film I tested the fluidity of the picture was improved to the point where I didnt know the Kuro was capable of producing such clean movement - its like all the frames are now being displayed clearly and the resulting image / picture/ what you see now seems complete / correct. Really impressed and so much better than any player I have owned / seen (Pioneer LX71, LX08, LX54, LX55, Panasonic BD80, Cheap Sony BD Player and couple of others)

The image quality on the LX55 is very good - its reviewed to punch above its price point now owning the 7007 it does - but the picture is noisey, soft and blurry by comparison. The noise is esepcially noticeable in Skyfall - I thought the film had an average at best picture in some / a lot of scenes again those scenes on the 7007 are crisp and clean and its a very good blu ray. Down in the subway with the baddie on the ladder monologging bond before he blows the wall for the train to come in - on the LX55 its a very noisey image on the 7007 its clean and crisp. At the beginning of Skyfall where bond walks down the dark corridor - noisey on the LX55 ultra clean and ultra crisp on the 7007

Now whether you would say the 2 are chalk and cheese is up to each individual - to me the difference is massive and warrants the price tag I paid of £629 7007 against £350 LX55 easily for the improvement in picture I have witnessed alone.

The sound I have not really had the chance to fully test, you need to watch whole films to really see how it performs, but the intial impressions are again of it being a much better player for sound than the LX55. The LX55 is properly lacking by comparison - the 7007 has a more involving, exciting, fuller more dynamic sound that properly pulls you into whatever you are watching but is as clean as the picture.

One example the fireworks at the begginning of every Disney films - they have a proper explosive weight to them I have never experienced before.

Its very fast, resposnds instantly to remote commands - almost auto updated the firmware straight away which is great.

I really liked the Pioneer LX55 is was much better than the LX54 I had before, and I thought the 54 was better than the 71 at the time - mostly because of PQLS into my Pioneer Receiver. The 7007 is a much better player than the LX55 in every aspect I have tested so far.

I went for it thinking hopefully it will be better for sound and expected it to be the same for picture and maybe a bit more detailed. I am more than pleasantly surprised by what I have experienced so far in terms of improvements.

Its a bold statement but its like most things in Hifi / AV - unless you have seen this standard of player in your system (if the system / setup of the system warrants it) then you have not seen it at its best or what the BD format is actually capable of.

ellisdj said:
I have been super busy today not had time to watch anymore or write on here - I nomally close safari fully and reopen then its fine but you lose open tabs and the mrs had some open I wisely didnt want her to lose save an ear bashing.

No, you won't lose open tabs when you do it my way.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am going to start a thread in the blu ray section of the forum for the player.

I have not tested it hardly at all yet - so I will keep the info going on for potential buyers to read

D

Deleted member 2457

More on it here:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/marantz-ud7007--av8801--mm8807-review/15437/

They seem to think it has a bit of a Denon feel to it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Just watched an episode of Pacific I have the set on Blu Ray - been watching them through again over the last few weeks.

The sound from this player is awesome - really gripping, had me on the edge of my seat / heart in the mouth even though I have seen it before.

I have not experienced that from a Blu Ray in a very long time if ever- Very realistic sound - stunning, I am hoping to demo a bot more this pm

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad that you really like your UD7007 Blu-Ray player, ellisdj! If I were considering a new player (I'm not!) it would certainly be on my shortlist. My only quarrel with it is that it doesn't have 7.1 analogue outputs, so you are forced to use the DACs in your AV receiver. But from your overall very good feeling of Blu-Ray replay, those DACs must be pretty good also!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I feed the processor digital from the UD7007 and its the dacs in the processor that are used for audio.Conversion

if you feed a receiver analogue then unless you bypass all the DSP inside the receiver I.e room correction etc you will be converting it back to digital to be converted back to analogue (using the receiver dacs) anyway

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts