Jumper Cable - Advice Needed

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I am looking at replacing my QED Silver Bi Wire with a run of better stereo cable, as I find this cable in my set up a little bit too bright. I need to therefore re-bridge my speakers. I see many people suggest jumper cables and was hoping for some advice on the terminations for these, do I need to terminate? Can i use bare end cable and bare end jumpers?

Thanks for any help

A

Anonymous

It sounds like you're going back to single-wiring. I don't see why you can't use bare end jumpers - simple and effective. Oxidisation is the only concern and the case for terminations. I have an extra 20cm of cable that will make 4 new jumpers if/when they oxidise.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes, back to single wiring, thought i'd give it a go after bi-wiring for so long.

I wasn't sure with bare end cable and jumpers if there would be an issue with the two bare ends touching at the connections, any thoughts?

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
I found that I preferred single wiring when I went back to it although I changed from silver based cable to copper so that may have caused the improvement.chord do some excellent jumpers with spades on one end and speaker plugs on the other- they work really well.Mine came from ebay but there is plenty of choice on the cable used.There are also jumper leads which have piggy back speaker plugs but they obviously project further out.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes it will be copper wiring for me too, out of curiosity what did you opt for?

I like the sound of using terminations, but budget is cutting it a bit for me at moment, would there be an issue with the speaker cable bare end and jumper cable bar end touching each other?

A

Anonymous

stanleyk:

Yes, back to single wiring, thought i'd give it a go after bi-wiring for so long.

I wasn't sure with bare end cable and jumpers if there would be an issue with the two bare ends touching at the connections, any thoughts?

Fit spades ends to the ends on the main speaker cable and they will fit under the knurled srews on the back of the speakers terminals and then fit banana plugs to either end of the jumper cables. These can then be inserted into the top holes on the speaker terminals.

Job done!

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Harwood,

Thanks for the tips, am really on a bit of a budget, and an experiment as to whether new cable will improve the sound of my system (to my ears at least) so am trying to keep costs as low as possible. WIll bare end jumpers work with bare end speaker cable? Any issues with them touching one another?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

stanleyk:

I use bare end cable jumpers and banana plug terminations on speaker cables but i don't see why two bare ends touching (meaning from a speaker cable and from jumper) would be an issue at all. Its all meant to connect, no? As long as cables from left and right terminals don't touch, you'll be fine.

TRENDING THREADS