I've booked a demo.....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 160668

Thanks for the heads up. That's a good price. But as I'm not a box swapper, I need to hear as many brands as possible.

Try and get yourself a 1st gen Pulse. They are pretty special, especially at used prices (£400-600 typically).
Currently surrounded by boxes. Most stuff packed and about to move out of my own house temporarily whilst works occur. I am hifi-less for the moment 😭. Reduced to a lowly Bluetooth player or some (admittedly very good) headphones.

Buying another amp at present would be foolhardy. I'd like to hear one though. Just not now.

Currently surrounded by boxes. Most stuff packed and about to move out of my own house temporarily whilst works occur. I am hifi-less for the moment 😭. Reduced to a lowly Bluetooth player or some (admittedly very good) headphones.

Buying another amp at present would be foolhardy. I'd like to hear one though. Just not now.
Totally understandable. Once settled back in, after the work on your house, get a Pulse. It'll surprise you how good they are. It won't compete with your Suggy but it will stand alongside the A39 with a few extra surprises.

You could say PP you are deluded or you could say Wow! I think the latter given your taste in Hi-Fi.

Reactions: rainsoothe
Just a quick mention about up and coming demo at SSAV. They can't source any Dyns, unless I'm prepared to travel to Holborn. Nah!

Good news is they stock Q Acoustics Concept 30s. And I'm going to demo LS50 Meta.
They’re two very good small speakers. I had somehow imagined you were after slim floorstanders, but as you’re after stand-mounters, see if you can hear the Sonus faber Lumina II @£999 and the ATC SCM7 @£950 (or the SCM11 @£1450). Both are at my local Audio T, as well as Harbeth, but each branch has different lines.

They’re two very good small speakers. I had somehow imagined you were after slim floorstanders, but as you’re after stand-mounters, see if you can hear the Sonus faber Lumina II @£999 and the ATC SCM7 @£950 (or the SCM11 @£1450). Both are at my local Audio T, as well as Harbeth, but each branch has different lines.
We no longer have a local Audio-T. There was one in Epsom.

The very idea for downsizing is so a speaker can be pushed back closer to the wall. So the ATC would be ideal or something on the lines of the of the Rubicon 2, which were very impressive. The KEF R3 and suchlike I've dismissed.

We no longer have a local Audio-T. There was one in Epsom.

The very idea for downsizing is so a speaker can be pushed back closer to the wall. So the ATC would be ideal or something on the lines of the of the Rubicon 2, which were very impressive. The KEF R3 and suchlike I've dismissed.
Yes, the ATC is pretty tolerant of close proximity being a sealed box, and the Lumina models too as it’s balanced to work near a wall. I think LS50s need more breathing space.

Yes, the ATC is pretty tolerant of close proximity being a sealed box, and the Lumina models too as it’s balanced to work near a wall. I think LS50s need more breathing space.
Just read a review of the Lumina and they can't be placed near a window, due to the leather. Shame, they look like a quality speaker.

Because the TB2s are quite deep, the front of the speaker is like 4 feet out from the wall, the LS50s shouldn't pose a problem, certainly from a home demo I had of the original LS50

Not many dealers for them, and I don’t know where your set up is situated, but Larsen are designed to work right up against a wall, as long as they’re not too close to corners.
We're not so pushed for space where I'm looking at wall mounted speakers, just something a little less large. Those Rubicons I could accommodate but not so much the MA Golds. The depth on those is very similar to my TBs.

D

Deleted member 160668

Dare I push Audio Note AN-K into the mix?
I found AN's I listened to on my listening quest quite Meh... Nothing particularly wrong with them but quite bland and forgettable imo. I do wonder if PP might be disappointed with the bass (or lack of) compared to his PMC's. In AN's favour though, the finishing on them is exquisite! They look beautiful.

Not for me, but I could see why they'd be someone else's thing.

I found AN's I listened to on my listening quest quite Meh... Nothing particularly wrong with them but quite bland and forgettable imo. I do wonder if PP might be disappointed with the bass (or lack of) compared to his PMC's. In AN's favour though, the finishing on them is exquisite! They look beautiful.

Not for me, but I could see why they'd be someone else's thing.
TBH, those Rubicons really punched above their cabinet size. I would say pound for pound they are one of the best small standmounts.

Until now I deliberately not mentioned Harbeth p3 3esr XD because...

There are some small differences in overall presentation, the P3s being a little more staid, which is great. The Dalis have a little more (not sure how to describe it other than playfulness). Both sound tonally great with the Leema but factor in the £2500 for the Harbeths & £1700 for the Dalis.

It's all about savvy shopping.

(Sorry Harbethers but they've been trumped by the Dali Rubicon 2s)

Reactions: Al ears
TBH, those Rubicons really punched above their cabinet size. I would say pound for pound they are one of the best small standmounts.

There are some small differences in overall presentation, the P3s being a little more staid, which is great. The Dalis have a little more (not sure how to describe it other than playfulness). Both sound tonally great with the Leema but factor in the £2500 for the Harbeths & £1700 for the Dalis.

I don't think there's is any need to apologise to other users, speakers are so personal, what's right for you and your system is exactly that, irrespective of what others may have employed.

Reactions: plastic penguin
D

Deleted member 160668

When are you listening to the Argon 1's? That will bake your noodle.

I'd be really surprised if you didn't love them PP. They are great speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts