I've booked a demo.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
@nopiano

Just a word on the Amphion Argons. They’re not really an immediately impressive speaker, as they don’t throw the sound at you in the same way as something like the Triangles or Monitor Audio, so usually need a little time to acclimatise to - they won’t do well in quick AB demos with overly energetic speakers.
Don't mind slow burning components. Older Arcams are the same but it needs to be balanced out with livelier stuff to fully appreciate. They should match the Leema well.

Reactions: davidf
D

Deleted member 160668

It might be. But a 4k new price powered by a £1200 amp its borderline -- to fully control the speakers
Whilst I've not heard your Leema amp, so can speculate only, if you geniunly are comparing it to an A39 you are doing it a disservice thinking it would not control speakers well in excess of its value. That's a superb performing amp. So if your Leema is like that...

If you are not interested for other reasons, price, location, want to buy new or whatever, that's cool.

But I disagree with your logic.

Gray

@nopiano

Just a word on the Amphion Argons. They’re not really an immediately impressive speaker, as they don’t throw the sound at you in the same way as something like the Triangles or Monitor Audio, so usually need a little time to acclimatise to - they won’t do well in quick AB demos with overly energetic speakers.
What about if you were the sort of person that really likes an unenergetic sound?
Wouldn't the unenergetic speaker really stand out to that type of person, even (maybe especially) in quick ABs?
(Personally, I never want speakers to sound any less 'energetic' than the music they're reproducing).

What about if you were the sort of person that really likes an unenergetic sound?
Wouldn't the unenergetic speaker really stand out to that type of person, even (maybe especially) in quick ABs?
(Personally, I never want speakers to sound any less 'energetic' than the music they're reproducing).
They do appeal to people who aren’t overly keen on the general sound that all metal driver designs produce, despite the Argon’s being all metal drivers! They sound more like a paper cone and soft dome HF, but with the speed and detail of stiff, metal drivers. There are a lot of people though who are easily swayed by a more energetic sound, as is proven by CD players and DACs with higher voltage outputs, and speakers with a more exciting top end.

Reactions: Gray
Whilst I've not heard your Leema amp, so can speculate only, if you geniunly are comparing it to an A39 you are doing it a disservice thinking it would not control speakers well in excess of its value. That's a superb performing amp. So if your Leema is like that...

If you are not interested for other reasons, price, location, want to buy new or whatever, that's cool.

I don't want this to be a Leema v Arcam A39. I love most Arcams, but having heard -- direct comparisons with the original Naim XS, Roksan Caspian M1 and various others in that same price bracket, you need to look at plus 2k amps to seriously better my little Pulse.

For instance, I wouldn't even dream about comparing it to your Suggy. I'm sure it betters the Pulse in many areas. But underestimate the Pulse, and you will be surprised. But every amp, regardless of how good, will have its limitations

robdmarsh

The thing is about Triangle speakers, or the Esprit series anyway, and what makes them special imo is that they are energetic without being grating or annoying in the higher frequencies, at least with my amplifier. Before I had the Titus EZ I had Elacs, which are famous for having a laid back kind of sound, but they definitely had something lacking in the treble. I took a punt with Triangle which worked spectacularly well. They reproduce a wide range of genres so well too. I'm no metal head or hard core hip hop fan but everything else is dandy.

D

Deleted member 160668

I don't want this to be a Leema v Arcam A39. I love most Arcams, but having heard -- direct comparisons with the original Naim XS, Roksan Caspian M1 and various others in that same price bracket, you need to look at plus 2k amps to seriously better my little Pulse.

For instance, I wouldn't even dream about comparing it to your Suggy. I'm sure it betters the Pulse in many areas. But underestimate the Pulse, and you will be surprised. But every amp, regardless of how good, will have its limitations
Good. Nor do I. My point was the A39 is well capable of these. If your pulse is as good as an up to £2k amp, then so is that.

Therefore, don't write your amp off as not being good enough for more expensive speakers than itself. It will probably cope perfectly well.

Anyway enjoy your demo's. Great fun they are.

It might be. But a 4k new price powered by a £1200 amp its borderline -- to fully control the speakers
Alan Shaw always maintains that his speakers will do fine with any reasonably competent amp. Your Leema easily meets that test.

Harbeth have benign impedances so are easy to drive. They don’t need to be ‘controlled’. There’s no reason the M30 would be any more demanding that the P3 that you tried. All imo, obviously.

Last edited:
Alan Shaw always maintains that his speakers will do fine with any reasonably competent amp. Your Leema easily meets that test.

Harbeth have benign impedances so are easy to drive. They don’t need to be ‘controlled’. There’s no reason the M30 would be any more demanding that the P3 that you tried. All imo, obviously.

Totally understand. I'm just being very cautious of the possible limitations.

Back after spending an hour and half. Enjoyed the experience, but there is mixed feelings. Bear in mind it is relatively short demo.

First up was the Monitor Audio Gold 100. On initial listening the clarity and detail was very good. Not bright and very taut sounding. But as the music played on I just didn't feel at home with them.

The Dali Rubicon 2s are very different. Immediately playing the same tracks, it was noticeable the Rubis brought out more subtlety, better balance and a more holographic soundscape. They were very enjoyable and easier to live with.

After hearing the Rubis I was a little disappointed by the MAs. That's some confession as I'm a big MA fanboy.

What about the PMCs? Much more cohesive than the MAs, more on par with Rubis.

Both around the same price but for the timebeing the Dalis are the front runners by some margin

Monitor Audio Gold 100
6/10
Dali Rubicon 2
8/10

Attachments

• 20220316_131341.jpg
    20220316_131341.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220316_132712.jpg
    20220316_132712.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 28

robdmarsh

Those Monitor Audios are pretty ugly in white imo! No Triangles? They've only just started to stock Triangle at Richer Sounds and I think they're quite hard to get hold of, especially higher end models.

robdmarsh

So no need to rush. Oberon 5? Very different level of speaker surely? I think you should get to hear the Triangle Comete 40. Also the Argon 1 and here's a suggestion for you in these times when speakers are so hard to audition... why not buy a pair of Buchardt s400 with their long trial window? One snag here is that I think these have leapt in price, but I'd be intrigued to hear what they are like.

So no need to rush. Oberon 5? Very different level of speaker surely? I think you should get to hear the Triangle Comete 40. Also the Argon 1 and here's a suggestion for you in these times when speakers are so hard to audition... why not buy a pair of Buchardt s400 with their long trial window? One snag here is that I think these have leapt in price, but I'd be intrigued to hear what they are like.
Wasn't thinking about the Oberon 5s. Only mentioned them because I didn't realise how dinky they are. They had a pair of MA Silver 200, which are also compact, and they look giant by comparison.

If you look at my earlier post, I have a list of speakers incl. the Argons.

All I'll say is go and buy one off Fleabay and you can judge for yourself. Not saying it's better than the A39, I've only heard one in isolation, but it's very impressive for its price bracket and some....

Gray

Somewhat surprisingly? I've just seen those Totem Arro still up for £499 'RRP £1499'.
Dark wood finish, don't look in bad condition...must be about as wife-friendly as speakers get.
Though probably too different to what you're contemplating.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 160668

PP - If Harbeth Ps3ER did it for you as per your comment above, but were price restrictive, there's a tidy looking pair at a good price on the Wam. They will sell quick at that price. No connection to the seller.

PP - If Harbeth Ps3ER did it for you as per your comment above, but were price restrictive, there's a tidy looking pair at a good price on the Wam. They will sell quick at that price. No connection to the seller.

Thanks for the heads up. That's a good price. But as I'm not a box swapper, I need to hear as many brands as possible.

Try and get yourself a 1st gen Pulse. They are pretty special, especially at used prices (£400-600 typically).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts