I've booked a demo.....

I would’ve said try Ophidian, seeing as you currently have PMC. Similar design in some ways, although the Ophidian isn’t a full on transmission line, but it sort of behaves like it soundwise. The Ophidians are better balanced, as PMC can sound a little bright sometimes, although that relates to later models after the range you had, which is more the Rubicon sound, from my previous experience with them some time ago.

D

Deleted member 160668

PP - try and also get a listen to some Amphion Argon 1 standmounts from somewhere if you can. Similar cash to the MA's and by heck, they are some seriously good speakers for the money...

I've commented here and elsewhere just how impressed I was when I heard them at the UK Audio show. In combo with the Hegel they were paired with, in a far from perfect room, they were spectacular - sounding far more expensive than they actually were.

I would’ve said try Ophidian, seeing as you currently have PMC. Similar design in some ways, although the Ophidian isn’t a full on transmission line, but it sort of behaves like it soundwise. The Ophidians are better balanced, as PMC can sound a little bright sometimes, although that relates to later models after the range you had, which is more the Rubicon sound, from my previous experience with them some time ago.
Which particular model ? The Mojo 2 or something else?

PP - try and also get a listen to some Amphion Argon 1 standmounts from somewhere if you can. Similar cash to the MA's and by heck, they are some seriously good speakers for the money...

I've commented here and elsewhere just how impressed I was when I heard them at the UK Audio show. In combo with the Hegel they were paired with, in a far from perfect room, they were spectacular - sounding far more expensive than they actually were.
Sounds good. The nearest dealer is in Petworth, which is about an hour and half ride. Certainly a goer with some arranging.

D

Deleted member 160668

Sounds good. The nearest dealer is in Petworth, which is about an hour and half ride. Certainly a goer with some arranging.
Do it. They are worth the drive. When I saw them they were £1050. They are now £1300. Still a complete and utter bargain for the performance they give. Seriously impressive speakers these are.

Get driving PP, then I'd be very interested in your thoughts once you've had a listen.

Do it. They are worth the drive. When I saw them they were £1050. They are now £1300. Still a complete and utter bargain for the performance they give. Seriously impressive speakers these are.

Get driving PP, then I'd be very interested in your thoughts once you've had a listen.
Certainly will Amor. It's about, as you well know, finding that ideal speaker. I've got ProAc, Dynaudio and a few others on the 'to do' list before making the decision. But one has to start somewhere and that "somewhere" is with RS on Wednesday

Last edited:
When you think about it I started demoing with the Harbeths a couple of years ago and briefly owned Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary edition. The latter were okay for the price but it was the Harbeth P3s that really tugged my rug. It was only the ever increasing retail price that put a spanner in the works.

D

Deleted member 160668

it was the Harbeth P3s that really tugged my rug. It was only the ever increasing retail price that put a spanner in the works.
I know a certain someone selling some minty Harbeths at nowhere near retail 😉.

Reactions: nopiano
I know a certain someone selling some minty Harbeths at nowhere near retail 😉.

They look very nice. However, I have to be realistic and think is my amp good enough to justify such a speaker. It's a fantastic amp, same ballpark as the Arcam A39 IMO. Every hi-fi component has its limitations.

robdmarsh

Was there a fuss? They're okay for the price, certainly what I paid. They definitely fell short of not only the PMCs but the RS6s. The Harbeths were a different proposition
What I mean by fuss was Wharfedale going for a heritage vibe with the real wood cabinets and pictures of its 1930s factory in the marketing literature etc. I don't know, I've tried 3 Wharfedale speakers that won pretty much universal praise and didn't like any of them. Ok for the price? £399 rrp I think not.

Your PMC speakers are quite large for stand mounters. I wonder what you would think of Triangle Comete EZ or Comete anniversary models, similar form factor to the PMCs?

What I mean by fuss was Wharfedale going for a heritage vibe with the real wood cabinets and pictures of its 1930s factory in the marketing literature etc. I don't know, I've tried 3 Wharfedale speakers that won pretty much universal praise and didn't like any of them. Ok for the price? £399 rrp I think not.

Your PMC speakers are quite large for stand mounters. I wonder what you would think of Triangle Comete EZ or Comete anniversary models, similar form factor to the PMCs?
Perhaps the Triangles are another to add to my list before deciding.

Already got: Dali Rubicons, Q Acoustics, Dynaudio, Amphion Argons & Ophidians...

TRENDING THREADS