Is it pronounced Reega, Rayga or Regga?

A

Anonymous

Not 'Regg A' then....I didn't think Jamaicans battled eachother with their Rega Soundsystems!

Jah!

Thanks for the answer, that's what I've always said, as in Do me a favour, plug me into a Sega (or Rega).

Nice.

A

Anonymous

I think I may be able to help.
The 'arrr' is silent, like when a man from the West Country silently agrees with you.
The 'e' is the orphaned half of a dipthong, smoothing your introduction to. . .
. . . The 'g' which should be pronounced in as green and wobbly a way as possible - like in 'phlegmatic'.
The 'a' is an afterthought, added at the behest of the marketing department.
The invisible 'p' is plosive, like in out of date pea soup.

A

Anonymous

Count Juju:I think I may be able to help.
The 'arrr' is silent, like when a man from the West Country silently agrees with you.
The 'e' is the orphaned half of a dipthong, smoothing your introduction to. . .
. . . The 'g' which should be pronounced in as green and wobbly a way as possible - like in 'phlegmatic'.
The 'a' is an afterthought, added at the behest of the marketing department.
The invisible 'p' is plosive, like in out of date pea soup.
So 'igPAH' is correct, then?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It comes from the first two letters of the surnames of the founders...

Roy Gandy and Tony Relph.

(Tony Relph's share of the company was bought out and he left shortly after the partnership started in the early 1970's but the name Rega was retained.)

This naming 'convention' is a bit of a tradition with some British companies. (Spendor, Harbeth and Leema for example.)

I have never heard 'Rega' pronounced in any other way than Ree-ga (same sound as Riga).

A

Anonymous

To be honest, Tarquin, I was ad-libbing furiously and I think you've rumbled me.

Award yourself an exotic muffin - or apply by freepost to PO Box 343 and I shall send a randomly selected one to a forwarding address of your choice.*

* the value of your muffin may rise as well as fall. Your house may be reclaimed if monthly repayments to Muffin Org are not maintained.

A

Anonymous

I'm from Bristol and when I silently agree I just nod.

Josie to win.

A

Anonymous

I'm from Gloucester and when I silently agree I keel over to port with steam pumping from each trouser leg.

I'm rubbish at lie detector tests.

A

Anonymous

and Randy Elph was quickly ruled out in case it derailed the Christmas production rush.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts