is BOSE that rubbish compared with other systems

xerefey

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Just for fun, I have not see too mahy comments about BOSE on this forum, many people says is just marketing, other people says that sound is awful compared with other systems like Rotel, Roksan, Yamaha, etc. I do have a Rotel RA-1570 with a pair of B&W CM1 and sound pretty nice to me, however not sure about others opinion due to the lack of capability from myself to be able to compare!!!!!!!!!!! and unfortunately not all systems are available on all countries, however BOSE seems to be present everywhere. So let´s discuss it, Is BOSE really that crappy? Brgds

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If you never owned or auditioned Hi-Fi or even Mid-Fi system, BOSE will sound good to you. It's not targeted at audiophiles but for the ones that have their TV and cheap PC speakers as their sonic reference.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Is Bose crappy? No. It is a lifestyle system.. Yes you will get better sound from seperates for the same price, but again most people dnt get it right when it comes to matching systems, this were Bose systems will come handy. Also they take up less space.

Top of the range Bose systems sound very good but also very expensive. I would say most of the Bose systems sound very friendly but no the best in detail & seperation like you will get from seperates. Having said that I had a listen to top of the range systems & was very impressed.

I know what Audiophiles & traditional hifi buyers are goin to say, but thats my opinion. I can honestly say when you go up the range with BOSE systems you really begin to benefit for that extra cash spent in terms of sound quality. Not sure I can always say that were seperate systems are concerned.

I've no experience of Bose in-house, but my Mazda MPS had a Bose system in it, and that sounded fantastic.

I worked for a delivery company for 8 yrs who had the Bose contract, the vast majority went to our senior citizens. They are a convenient, one box simple solution and for some people that's all they want.

nick12

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a Bose Wave Music System by my bed - great FM and DAB reception, can plug in iPod if required, goes loud if required without losing the smooth, rich sound. But HiFi it ain't. It's a good quality but extremely expensive bedside Clock Radio!

xerefey

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
JAJAJAJAJA

Very intresting answers, however there is no a clear position about it, looks like these are very good integrated systems but expensive ones, so there is no a clear difference in terms of sound, is there?

As mentioned before i went for separate systems (Rotel & B&W) in terms of cost do not get me wrong but it might be even more expensive thatn an integrated Bose system, in terms of quality quite difficult to guess due to there is no way i could compare both systems, also one system is Stereo with a SUB and BOSE is a 5.1 (V35).

So who bets for Bose? if money is not an issue would you go for Bose? let´s do not forgte that we want sound QUALITY that´s what we look for on a hi-fi right?

brgds

Caspersozza

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
In short, yes. You will always be able to get something much better sounding for the same money.

I never have and would never own anything by Bose, but my parents and several friends of mine have fallen victim to the relentless marketing of Bose Wave systems. The resulting equipment sounds so bad, so thin, so lifeless, that I can only put its global success down to the fact that people are very susceptible to marketing, and that over 60% of the world's population are tone deaf.

TrevC

Caspersozza said:
In short, yes. You will always be able to get something much better sounding for the same money.

I never have and would never own anything by Bose, but my parents and several friends of mine have fallen victim to the relentless marketing of Bose Wave systems. The resulting equipment sounds so bad, so thin, so lifeless, that I can only put its global success down to the fact that people are very susceptible to marketing, and that over 60% of the world's population are tone deaf.

On the other hand, the Soundlink Mini Bluetooth speaker is fantastic, although a little too bassy.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
xerefey said:
JAJAJAJAJA

Very intresting answers, however there is no a clear position about it, looks like these are very good integrated systems but expensive ones, so there is no a clear difference in terms of sound, is there?

As mentioned before i went for separate systems (Rotel & B&W) in terms of cost do not get me wrong but it might be even more expensive thatn an integrated Bose system, in terms of quality quite difficult to guess due to there is no way i could compare both systems, also one system is Stereo with a SUB and BOSE is a 5.1 (V35).

So who bets for Bose? if money is not an issue would you go for Bose? let´s do not forgte that we want sound QUALITY that´s what we look for on a hi-fi right?

brgds
The Answer to your question for me is yes I would go for Bose if money is no problem. Well at least the Bose system I had a listen to no doubt at all, its Bose hannds down. The piano sound from the Bose system sounded so real never heard it better, also looks out of this world.. What more can you ask for.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I have a pair of these - http://www.whathifi.com/review/computer-musicmonitor - and for their size I don't think they can be beaten by anything. Even when compared with other similarly priced, but larger, powered monitors from the likes of AudioPro and Monitor Audio I think that they can hold their own. They sound fantastic in a hotel room playing flac's direct from my laptop, DVD's or internet radio and they are equally as good hooked up to the TV in our bedroom at home. They just sound relaxed I suppose, not fatiguing at all, even on modern compressed recordings such as Emeli Sande's "Our Version of Events" which I find quite painful to listen to on the HD650's. Well recorded stuff such as Steely Dan and Dire Straits original pressings sound equally as good.

Their docks and noise cancelling headphones are also excellent; I've not heard their bigger systems so can't comment however I think that there is an amount of audiophile snobbery going on here as well.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Can't really comment on the home systems but their QuietComfort 15 headphones are AWESOME for people who fly a lot (in my case, four long-haul flights per week are not uncommon), the noise reduction is very good, they are extremely comfortable and fold pretty nicely to save space in your hand luggage.

Just don't forget your LR6 batteries.

Of course they are not equivalent in sound quality to similarly-priced competitors without noise-cancelling but that's not really a bad point depending on what you use them for (it's not an issue to watch movies on planes).

The PSB M4U 2 (also noise-cancelling) sound a bit better for music but they are huge and their NC is not as good (at least that's the impression I got when testing both).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
xerefey said:
JAJAJAJAJA

brgds
The Answer to your question for me is yes I would go for Bose if money is no problem. Well at least the Bose system I had a listen to no doubt at all, its Bose hannds down. The piano sound from the Bose system sounded so real never heard it better, also looks out of this world.. What more can you ask for.

tumblr_inline_mqx09ihnqF1qz4rgp.gif

EvPa said:
Can't really comment on the home systems but their QuietComfort 15 headphones are AWESOME for people who fly a lot (in my case, four long-haul flights per week are not uncommon), the noise reduction is very good, they are extremely comfortable and fold pretty nicely to save space in your hand luggage.

Just don't forget your LR6 batteries.

Bose QC15 uses a single AAA battery (or LR03), not LR6.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Bose QC15 uses a single AAA battery (or LR03), not LR6.

They indeed do, I tried to edit my post when I saw the typo but the website kept telling me that my post was detected as spam...

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've said this before now and I'll say it again , headphones , docks and the wave can't be beat for the money and product support is excellent , who else do you know that will replace a 6 year old radio for the latest 3 disc changer radio with wavey hand tech for 100 bucks , who will replace a 2 year old broken pair of earphones for 50 bucks ? . I know people say you pay up front but really you cannot dispute that level of service . It's broke ? its out of warrenty ? give us a nominal fee and have the new version.

Try getting any kinda "good faith" discount out of apple if you break your laptop

As a tuner I remember HFN&RR or maybe it was Hi-Fi Choice praiseing the wave to the heavens , full back page "blog"

James

JamesMellor said:
I've said this before now and I'll say it again , headphones , docks and the wave can't be beat for the money and product support is excellent , who else do you know that will replace a 6 year old radio for the latest 3 disc changer radio with wavey hand tech for 100 bucks , who will replace a 2 year old broken pair of earphones for 50 bucks ? . I know people say you pay up front but really you cannot dispute that level of service . It's broke ? its out of warrenty ? give us a nominal fee and have the new version.

Agreed. I got QC15 for £120 in exchange for my 6-year old QC2 which broke due to battery leak.

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
I have used the Acoustimass 5 speakers for a number of years and I have been very happy with them. Yes, they were a compromise as my other half did not want "big" speakers in the room. I have been pleasantly surprised though. They certainly have not stopped me enjoying my music.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
For the past few years I've been using the Bose Acoustimass 5 series iii hoked up to a Marantz CR603. As space is a real issue for me, these were the ideal solution. I've actually been very pleased with their performance, for the price. £700 for the lot, and quite a flexible system.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
For the past few years I've been using the Bose Acoustimass 5 series iii hoked up to a Marantz CR603. As space is a real issue for me, these were the ideal solution. I've actually been very pleased with their performance, for the price. £700 for the lot, and quite a flexible system.

You can buy a mail order bride from Kyrgyzstan for that kind of money Freddy.
eek.gif

060711_kyrgyzstan_0.jpg

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Freddy58 said:

You can buy a mail order bride from Kyrgyzstan for that kind of money Freddy.
eek.gif

060711_kyrgyzstan_0.jpg

Does she have a USB port?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Ask yourself a couple of questions?

1. Where do most BOSE owners first hear abour Bose? Hi-Fi magazines? Or Interior Design Magazines?

2. How many male owners of BOSE chose it without any influence from their wives or partners?

It's reasonable, but it's way overpriced, and personally speaking, I'd rather have a Bush all in one, than a BOSE.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts