Sound quality with bluetooth headphones with windows 10 pc

Sege64

Jun 7, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I want to use a wireless over ear headphone for my pc for poor source music (youtube, mp3s) gaming, movies etc etc.

For years I've used Beyerdynamic DT990 pro's and don't mind the sound quality and love their airiness and sense of space with the sound.

For work I have a pair of Sony MDR-1R wired which amazed me by sounding better than the DT990's but still being well rounded and capable of sounding nice with my low quality sources.

My father has a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3's which What Hi-Fi seem to reckon are the compromise free, bees knees (at least until the WH-1000XM4's came along). I have tried them, got over an issue where the pc recognizes them as a "microphone headset" and made them sound awful with distortion, but they still sound.....well, rubbish compared to both my other 'phones. They sound hugely bassy and claustrophobic with or without the noise cancelling activated.

I've read up on here about other people having problems with them which I suspect are due to the pc headset thing in windows, and someone else suggesting a third party equalizer app to get them to sound better which is fine, but surely shouldn't be necessary on What Hi-Fi's best overall headphone just to get them to sound half decent.

Am I missing something?
Have I lost the plot and just think my old phones sound better because I'm familiar with them?
Are there significant audio quality compromises with wireless/bluetooth headphones or with noise cancelling headphones? I'm unfamiliar with both (I don't care about noise cancelling, only wireless).

I want to buy myself a pair of decent wirephones based on online reviews only (unable to listen to them unfortunately) but the WH-1000XM3's are so unacceptable in sound quality, yet rated so highly I'm now worried about throwing hundreds of dollars away on something I'm not going to like.

Any helpful perspectives or experiences out there?
Thanks in advance.

Vincent Kars

Sony WH-1000XM3 are bass heavy indeed.
You might consult sources like

There is app by Sony including EQ.
You might try getting a more agreeable response.

You might also try a system wide EQ in Windows like Equalizer APO

Reactions: Sege64

TRENDING THREADS