is BOSE that rubbish compared with other systems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Ask yourself a couple of questions?

1. Where do most BOSE owners first hear abour Bose? Hi-Fi magazines? Or Interior Design Magazines?

2. How many male owners of BOSE chose it without any influence from their wives or partners?

It's reasonable, but it's way overpriced, and personally speaking, I'd rather have a Bush all in one, than a BOSE.

1. I heard mine at a retailer, no other influence. It just had to suit my needs.

2. I make the decisions when it comes to a music source.

For the money, and considering my needs, I thought it was reasonable :)

Paul.

HiFi people will always hate Bose because their aproach to sound is fundamentaly different to HiFi. HiFi tries to create a precise soundstage. Bose believe in bouncing sound around the room in an attempt to mimic live music venues.

I wouldnt personaly buy a Bose system, but I think you will struggle to put together a neater system.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
xerefey said:
Just for fun, I have not see too mahy comments about BOSE on this forum, many people says is just marketing, other people says that sound is awful compared with other systems like Rotel, Roksan, Yamaha, etc. I do have a Rotel RA-1570 with a pair of B&W CM1 and sound pretty nice to me, however not sure about others opinion due to the lack of capability from myself to be able to compare!!!!!!!!!!! and unfortunately not all systems are available on all countries, however BOSE seems to be present everywhere. So let´s discuss it, Is BOSE really that crappy? Brgds

If you have too much money and need a noise in a bedroom or kitchen then go for it, otherwise my opinion is that the answer is yes, really it is. Sorry.

Marsbardark

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Vladimir said:
Freddy58 said:
For the past few years I've been using the Bose Acoustimass 5 series iii hoked up to a Marantz CR603. As space is a real issue for me, these were the ideal solution. I've actually been very pleased with their performance, for the price. £700 for the lot, and quite a flexible system.

You can buy a mail order bride from Kyrgyzstan for that kind of money Freddy.
eek.gif

060711_kyrgyzstan_0.jpg

Does she have a USB port?

3 like a bowling ball

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
Jota180 said:
The sound quality is not worth the money paid.

£350 is expensive for a speaker system?

It is for a sh*t one.

Agreed, but have you actually heard it?

I wasn't commenting specifically about the BOSE.

Have I heard the 5.1 system? Yes. The guy who owned it was very much a chav, and he was impressed by how loud it was, sound quality never came into the equation.

Did I like the sound? It was loud for small speakers, but other than that, I wasn't really listening, as I was blinded by the Dynamic mode setting on his brand new Panasonic plasma.

From my experience with people who own BOSE equpment, I'have come to the conclusion that it is mainly owned by people with more money than they know what to do with, who only care about the name, not the quality.

It's not for me.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
I'm amazed at the amount of snobbery being shown in this thread. For the grand total of £700 I have a flexible system that "suits my needs" Hmm...

I'm certainly not being a snob about it, infact, I'd say that a lot of Bose owners are far more elitist than non-Bose owners, and if you asked most Bose owners if they have heard of some of the lesser known, but higher quality electronic manufacturers, they wouldn't have a clue.

There's a BOSE shop in Bicester Village among all the other designer shops, so I do think Bose are deliberately aiming at that kind of clientele.

If you're happy Freddy, then why worry about what others think?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
Jota180 said:
The sound quality is not worth the money paid.

£350 is expensive for a speaker system?

It is for a sh*t one.

Agreed, but have you actually heard it?

I wasn't commenting specifically about the BOSE.

Have I heard the 5.1 system? Yes. The guy who owned it was very much a chav, and he was impressed by how loud it was, sound quality never came into the equation.

Did I like the sound? It was loud for small speakers, but other than that, I wasn't really listening, as I was blinded by the Dynamic mode setting on his brand new Panasonic plasma.

From my experience with people who own BOSE equpment, I'have come to the conclusion that it is mainly owned by people with more money than they know what to do with, who only care about the name, not the quality.

It's not for me.

I think that a Marantz CR603 hooked up with the Bose speaker system works pretty well, for the money. Maybe you could put together something that has the same flexibility in my situation for less £ ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts