Irritating ads....

SteveR750

Can you please stop those annoying humming birds from Samsung flying around the screen as i keep clicking on them when I don't intend to. It's anoying enough to actually make me NOT want to but anything from them again!!!

idc

I would like to see an end to ads with beautiful pictures of hif and av kit, but no sign of the tangled mess of wires that usually accompany them. Oh, and why is it that the only people who listen to music in ad land are beautiful young females who read magazines, whilst smiling?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
idc:Oh, and why is it that the only people who listen to music in ad land are beautiful young females who read magazines, whilst smiling?

Because hi-fi is (regrettably) mostly a middle aged, middle class, middle income, male pursuit, and it is a given that such men prefer to look at smiling, young, beautiful females. Therefore ads peopled with such models will get catch the eye of the average punter more than an ad featuring someone looking like themselves!

It has always been this way...(1962)....

playboys_hi_fi_1962.jpg

SteveR750

chebby:
idc:Oh, and why is it that the only people who listen to music in ad land are beautiful young females who read magazines, whilst smiling?

Because hi-fi is (regrettably) mostly a middle aged, middle class, middle income, male pursuit, and it is a given that such men prefer to look at smiling, young, beautiful females. Therefore ads peopled with such models will get catch the eye of the average punter more than an ad featuring someone looking like themselves!

The HiFi industry is like the car industry of 20+ years ago with its sexist male orientated marketing overtones, not that I mind but then I wouldn't would I, however I do draw the line at iritating humming birds that move randomly and unexpectedly....

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
idc:I would like to see an end to ads with beautiful pictures of hif and av kit, but no sign of the tangled mess of wires that usually accompany them.

My pet peeve. Hit the nail right on the head. God it's annoying.

idc

chebby:

It has always been this way...(1962)....

playboys_hi_fi_1962.jpg

She has just fainted after he told her how much the (note invisible) cables cost. If you want to look at nice ladies then the cover of What hifi is a good start. I have just seen the latest issue.................

143730d5ccs.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:The HiFi industry is like the car industry of 20+ years ago with its sexist male orientated marketing overtones, not that I mind but then I wouldn't would I, however I do draw the line at iritating humming birds that move randomly and unexpectedly....

It could be a lot worse (and frequently was) especially in the netherworld of 1950s mail room hardware.....

vintage_ad.jpg

Then after a hard day killing female co-workers it's home to wifey who has been popping pep pills...

sexist_old_ad.jpg

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Ah yes, that damned bird! Got caught out meself. Have never complained about an ad on a free site before, but, come on...

Car advertising? Every bit as patronising and sexist now as it ever was, just a bit more subtle. Far more subtle than the ones that are completely sexist in the opposite direction: "Look at this stupid incompetant man trying to cook/hoover/feed a baby/do more than one thing at a time...".

Contemptible, the lot o' them.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry the hummingbird is dive-bombing you.. I'll mention it to our commercial team.

As for, erm, interesting ads.... We've been finding some corkers in old issues of WHF as we search out content for our new 'I Remember When' feature on the inside-back page.

Most recent find was this Teac ad from @10 years ago:

Knobs2000-1th.jpg

SteveR750

al7478:
Ah yes, that damned bird! Got caught out meself. Have never complained about an ad on a free site before, but, come on...

Car advertising? Every bit as patronising and sexist now as it ever was, just a bit more subtle. Far more subtle than the ones that are completely sexist in the opposite direction: "Look at this stupid incompetant man trying to cook/hoover/feed a baby/do more than one thing at a time...".

Contemptible, the lot o' them.

You think? I'm not so sure, there is a definite lack of scantily clad painted models adorning the flanks of even exotica, let alone the humdrum family saloon, sorry sub compact executive whatever the hell that is supposed to mean....If you look through Autocar as I do every week there is total absence of totty of any sort other than the female writers, and as for What Car....wake me up when I'm drawing my pension zzzz; but flick through any hi fi mag and there are at least 3-4 ads featuring semi or even naked, though airbrushed into political correctness, ladies. Who knows, maybe we might one day see some well hung bloke waving his implement at you advertising something from Krell or similarly brutish. Though I certainly hope not.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Sorry the hummingbird is dive-bombing you.. I'll mention it to our commercial team.

As for, erm, interesting ads.... We've been finding some corkers in old issues of WHF as we search out content for our new 'I Remember When' feature on the inside-back page.

Knobs2000-1th.jpg

I don't see the problem. She seems like my kinda lady
emotion-40.gif

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:

Knobs2000-1th.jpg

So that's where Arcam stole it from.

My views on knobs are well-documented, and I shall not get them out again here.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i don't have any hummingbirds
emotion-40.gif

and can we have more ads like the teac one please.

i have no problem with that kinda advertising.
emotion-5.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

ÿ

Sounds just your type JD. Small but perfectly formed knobs.

In response to the 'ads':

- it is true that there is an 'ideal' listener in a male dominated territory, and wouldn't it be good if she looked a million dollars? Better than seeing someone who looks like Paul Messenger perhaps???

- Samsung hummingbirds - I agree this rubbish should not be allowed, but the full blame has to lie with the agency & client who create this tripe, thinking that by making it more 'impactful' or 'in your face' it's going to be more effective. Fools. Speaking as someone with experience in this industry, I would never allow my client to run something annoying like this.

Anyway, here's some of my recent work, a link to a video edit and some piccies from a shoot I've just created, organised, & produced. 3 photographers, crew of 22 people including models, stylists, clients etc all jobs running concurrently with massive security/logistical issues as it was airside at Heathrow over 4 days to shoot a new business lounge. The result is about 20 main shots, 20 detail shots and a video.

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/the-experience/bmi-no.-1-heathrow.aspx

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/Joelsimister/?action=view&current=BMITHELOCALFINAL01.jpgÿ

By the way I am looking at wine in the background of the shot to keep model costs down. ÿ

ÿ

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/the-experience/bmi-no.-1-heathrow.aspx

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
OMG! Have you seen the button back PVC on the bar (sooo 1971) and.... oh please, no, don't let that wallpaper at the back of the room be real!!

Is this the 'Postmodern Irony Arms'?

Do corporate drones still get 'seduced' by photos like these? (No criticism of you Joel, you have to work with what the clients want abd I am sure you did not decorate the premises.)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
OMG! Have you seen the button back PVC on the bar (sooo 1971) and.... oh please, no, don't let that wallpaper at the back of the room be real!!

Is this theÿ 'Postmodern Irony Arms'?

Do corporate drones still get 'seduced' by photos like these? (No criticism of you Joel, you have to work with what the clients want abd I am sure you did not decorate the premises.)ÿ

ÿ

There are plenty of different areas in this lounge Chebby so it's up to you if you fancy the pub, the office or the kitchen. Or the boardroom, or the slumber area. I guess it depends on whether you are going to, or coming back from a meeting and just how long you have to spend there be it before a flight or in-between connecting flights.

I actually think the wallpaper is very nice, and a bit different from a stuffy BA lounge - different type of passenger Chebby.

ÿ

ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Maybe, but the wallpaper and the button-back rather takes me back to when I was eight years old and eating out with the family at the Kashmir restaurant for the first time some time back in the 1960s.

(Perhaps that is the intention.)

The corporate drone types let it down a bit though. Looks like they are posing for a C&A ad about 20 years ago. (All white, no women, decidedly un-funky demographic and the alpha male is playing trouser tennis!)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Maybe, but the wallpaper and the button-back rather takes me back to when I was eight years old and eating out with the family at the Kashmir restaurant for the first time some time back in the 1960s.

(Perhaps that is the intention.)

The corporate drone types let it down a bit though. Looks like they are posing for a C&A ad about 20 years ago. (All white, no women, decidedly un-funky demographic and the alpha male is playing trouser tennis!)

Unfortunately when you are promoting a business lounge you need to use business men type imagery as it wouldn't work with swampy and his mates. And there was an Israeli and a South American in the trio...and a chick in the background who featured heavily in many of the other shots.

When the cost of a business flight is upwards of £1k you have to look reasonably upmarket, albeit in an informal way

ÿ

idc

This is very irritating indeed. A moment ago I was mesmorised by a girl called Katie who has in her bra and pants and she was about to hose herself down in the bath. But she has gone. I think she was advertising plumming supplies or something, but that is not the point. Where has she gone, when will she be back and what has she got to do with hifi?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
idc:This is very irritating indeed. A moment ago I was mesmorised by a girl called Katie who has in her bra and pants and she was about to hose herself down in the bath. But she has gone. I think she was advertising plumming supplies or something, but that is not the point. Where has she gone, when will she be back and what has she got to do with hifi?

She's probably gone to find the Plumbers Mait...

Alpha male Chebby?

ÿ

SteveR750

Clare Newsome:

Knobs2000-1th.jpg

I recall that TEAC were the biggest "offenders"! Some of their current ones show a satisfying two fingers to PC too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts