Internet radio through amp's "Phono" or "Aux" inputs?

Iolo

Apr 7, 2022
Visit site
I currently have my Internet radio routed into my Denon PMA-600NE amplifier by way of the two (L&R) PHONO sockets and the resulting sound is very good. But am I using the best sockets for Internet radio?

The two AUX sockets are free. Should I be using them?

There's no guidance on where to feed Internet radio in the Denon's user-manual. I don't want to damage the amp - or deprive myself of the best performance.

Thanks.

Gray

I currently have my Internet radio routed into my Denon PMA-600NE amplifier by way of the two (L&R) PHONO sockets and the resulting sound is very good. But am I using the best sockets for Internet radio?

The two AUX sockets are free. Should I be using them?

There's no guidance on where to feed Internet radio in the Denon's user-manual. I don't want to damage the amp - or deprive myself of the best performance.

Thanks.
Surprised the sound is good, phono is for turntable. Use the Aux. 👍

Reactions: Iolo and nopiano
As Gray says. The sockets labelled Phono will be boosting the bass and cutting the treble, to equalise a magnetic cartridge output. Sockets labelled Aux are for ‘auxiliary’ items like tape players, tuners, and other devices like your internet radio signal.

Confusingly we often call the plugs themselves phono plugs, whether they carry a signal from a record player or, say, a CD player!

You haven’t said what the internet radio source is. Please elaborate.

Reactions: Gray and Iolo

Iolo

Apr 7, 2022
Visit site
As Gray says. The sockets labelled Phono will be boosting the bass and cutting the treble, to equalise a magnetic cartridge output. Sockets labelled Aux are for ‘auxiliary’ items like tape players, tuners, and other devices like your internet radio signal.

Confusingly we often call the plugs themselves phono plugs, whether they carry a signal from a record player or, say, a CD player!

You haven’t said what the internet radio source is. Please elaborate.
Thanks for your help, "nopiano".

The Internet radio source is a Robert Internet radio. I got in touch with Roberts and they said I should connect the radio to the amp by taking a line from the headphone socket on the radio to the amplifier, but they didn't specify which sockets to use on the amplifier - though at the time I asked them I hadn't bought the Denon amplifier and so didn't know what input sockets would be available to me.

So I need to move the input plugs from the Internet radio from Phono to Aux, and then stop-up the Phono sockets with the two pin-plugs which were there when I opened the box?

Reactions: nopiano

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your help, "nopiano".

The Internet radio source is a Robert Internet radio. I got in touch with Roberts and they said I should connect the radio to the amp by taking a line from the headphone socket on the radio to the amplifier, but they didn't specify which sockets to use on the amplifier - though at the time I asked them I hadn't bought the Denon amplifier and so didn't know what input sockets would be available to me.

So I need to move the input plugs from the Internet radio from Phono to Aux, and then stop-up the Phono sockets with the two pin-plugs which were there when I opened the box?
I presume Roberts assume you have 3mm line in socket on your amp which matches the 3mm headphone socket on your Roberts Radio. You cannot use phono leads for this purpose.

Gray

If your Roberts has got a 3.5mm headphone socket, then presumably you're using one of these leads to go between it and your Denon:
And yes, plug those shorting plugs into the unused phono sockets. Not only do they short the inputs electrically, which is a good idea, but they keep the sockets clean too.

Iolo

Apr 7, 2022
Visit site
If your Roberts has got a 3.5mm headphone socket, then presumably you're using one of these leads to go between it and your Denon:
And yes, plug those shorting plugs into the unused phono sockets. Not only do they short the inputs electrically, which is a good idea, but they keep the sockets clean too.

Gray, I was in error: Roberts' technical department told me two weeks ago to connect the Internet radio to an amplifier by way of (a) the line-out socket on the radio (not the radio's headphone socket, as I previously reported) and then (b) in the case of the Denon, to "the L & R sockets on the amplifier", which as "no piano" advised yesterday I take to mean the AUX L & R sockets.

I am delighted to report that having now done this, using a lead like the one you have pictured above, the quality of the sound from the Internet radio to my two speakers, via the Denon amplifier, is breath-taking!

But every so often there is the tiniest blip in the sound of the performance, so this led me to compare each of the three reproduction settings available on the Denon (Direct Source, Custom Control, and Analogue Control) while listening to Internet radio but none of these makes any difference. So I presume that the occasional blip is due to my internet connection, which is a standard copper-wire connection in a rural area, where my computer connection to the internet is acceptable but not without moments of disconnection.

Thanks for your advice re. the shorting plugs which Denon provided in the two Phono sockets. I'm sure Denon wouldn't have supplied them in those two sockets if there wasn't at least one good reason for doing so.

Reactions: Gray

Dom

Thanks for your advice re. the shorting plugs which Denon provided in the two Phono sockets. I'm sure Denon wouldn't have supplied them in those two sockets if there wasn't at least one good reason for doing so.
You should listen with them in and out and try to tell if there's any difference using your ears. If you can't tell, its fubar.

Gray

It reduces cross talk and lowers the noise floor.
If it does that Dom, then it's worth doing.
It will protect his unused sockets from dust ( in case he, or anyone else ever connects a turntable) For that reason alone, it's better than storing them in an envelope 👍

Try this experiment if you like (might be better with headphones):
With nothing connected to your turntable inputs, turn the volume up until you hear noise.
Now turn the volume down, fit some shorting plugs (you can easily make your own).
Now turn the volume up again......any noise now?
OK, you're not actually listening to unused sockets, but if you've got a choice between killing that noise dead, or having it in your amp (on the output of your internal phono preamp).......
So fit the shorting plugs, or chuck them. You decide.
Less foo than most cable 'benefits'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts