Integrated amp recommendations?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm a HiFi newbie and working on a budget. I have recently ordered my speakers. I just ordered the Tannoy Mercury V4 set. A year or two ago, I heard a pair of the Mercury F4s at a friend's house and knew I had to learn more about the Tannoy brand. As a US resident, well, you just don't see them around here (which sort of makes them more intriguing admittedly). As the new Tannoy Revolution DC6T is out of my budget and I also didn't want some little standmounted speakers (I was auditioning the KEF Q300, and B&W 685), I thought I'd try out the Mercury V4s. They're shipping from the UK to the US west coast so I still have some time before they arrive on my doorstep to make up my mind regarding my amp.

The primary purpose of my amp will be to drive my turntable, currently an older Technics table (most likely upgrading to a Rega P3 in the next year or two) but I'd also like to be able to play my mp3s occasionally as well, or plug in my laptop for an occasional movie. But again, turntable is priority #1.

My budget is $800 (US) maximum. I had my eyes set on the Marantz PM6004. A little concerned about the 45w output, I discovered the slightly beefier PM8004 which retails for 1000.00 but I found it for just under $800. I have auditioned both amps but not with the Tannoy speakers, obviously. I also can't stop thinking about maybe picking up the Rega Brio R amp, which is marginally within my budget. I guess for the most part though, I'm really considering the Marantz PM8004 but have found very little access to reviews.

Thoughts on the aforementioned integrated amps? Perhaps a recommendation for something I haven't considered yet? Just looking for some outside opinions before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,

jt

A

Anonymous

Your speakers are well defined and have a good sensitivity, you should not worry too much about the wattage output, which brings back the PM6004 in the mix, even less expensive than the Brio and just as good, if not better. Anyway, if you were worried about PM6004 45 wpc, then Rega Brio is only 50, so they are really on the same level. Then perhaps you can buy that turntable already. :grin:

A

Anonymous

PM6004 review / info here:

http://www.audiot.co.uk/products/marantz-pm6004-stereo-amplifier-3482.aspx

A

Anonymous

Yeah, the brio has basically been the wild card in my short list of amps. It just looks sexy and I appreciate the absence of useless tone controls. Not fretting too much over 45w vs. 50w though. :) The amp also isn't very prevalent in the US so just wondering if anyone out there has had amazing experience with it and how they'd descrive it's sound. So there's that.

If I hear nothing truly convincing about the Rega, I suppose my biggest concern is the pm6004 vs. the pm8004. Are the extra amenities on the 8004 really worth the extra little bit of cash. If i were paying msrp, the pm8004 would not have my attention right now and I'd probably be buying the 6004 right now. But I found one for 3/4 of msrp, which is right on my budget.

Both amps have a direct source mode that would be used everytime I'm playing vinyl. the 8004 claims that it's tone control knobs are best for improving audio from inferior digital sources (iPods, laptops). I wonder about that. :? Wouldn't it be best to just buy a DAC sometime in the future?

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
What kind of music are you listening to? as a previous Marantz owner I get that you have the PM8004 on your list. It's a beatiful amp. However, I think you need to have some listening sessions to compare it to the Brio R. The Brio R is an awesome amp for the money, and lacks features like tone control etc. But it sounds fantastic, and although it's 'only' 50w it sure doesn't present itself that way.

A

Anonymous

If you're planning on getting the rega rp3, I would go get the Brio-R. It has an excellent phono stage, which is better than some other phono stages that cost as much as the amp.

You should be able to get it on audiogon in the US second hand for around $650. If you don't like, you can just sell it again for around the same amount of money.

matthewpiano

The Rega Brio-R is a significant step up from the Marantz PM6004. The 6004 is a great amp for the money but the Rega takes you much closer to the sound quality of the £700-£800 integrateds like the Naim Nait 5i. It isn't as good as the Naim but it gets you a lot closer than the Marantz does. What the Rega has in abundance is fluidity and a great sense of detail but without ever reminding you that you are listening to hi-fi. It is all about the music with Rega, whereas the Marantz never quite lets you forget you are listening to a (very fine) budget amp. The Rega will also get far more out of an RP3/Elys 2 combination (which is what my Brio-R will be used with when it arrive). The power output only tells you part of the story.

If you don't want to go quite as far as the Rega on price I can recommend the Cambridge Audio Azur 650A. With the right speakers it will out perform the Marantz but it is fussier about system matching so you would need to audition it carefully.

I haven't heard the PM8004 so I couldn't comment on that, but another amp you should definitely try is the Creek Evolution 2 which is a very musical and involving amp.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Check the .com , .co.uk, .nl,.... site of Marantz. If the PM8004 amp has ever been reviewed by a magazine, there will be a link posted on the site.

And there's a PM7004 too with 2x70 watts. It costs about 700euro here, so that should be close to your max budget (after you get a holiday discount).

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The Rega Brio is a very good recommendation, but as you are in the US of A, I'm sure there are some good local hifi integrateds worthy of an audition too, aren't there? I've heard of Virtue Audio Sensation integrated amp which gets some good write ups and you havge ability to customise and/or upgrade the case-work and internal components as you wish. These amps are Tripath designs which some people like and some don't - the Tripath integrated circuits are usually found in cheaper, small footprint low power amps.

T

the record spot

mystickangaroo said:
Hi folks,

I'm a HiFi newbie and working on a budget. I have recently ordered my speakers. I just ordered the Tannoy Mercury V4 set. A year or two ago, I heard a pair of the Mercury F4s at a friend's house and knew I had to learn more about the Tannoy brand. As a US resident, well, you just don't see them around here (which sort of makes them more intriguing admittedly). As the new Tannoy Revolution DC6T is out of my budget and I also didn't want some little standmounted speakers (I was auditioning the KEF Q300, and B&W 685), I thought I'd try out the Mercury V4s. They're shipping from the UK to the US west coast so I still have some time before they arrive on my doorstep to make up my mind regarding my amp.

The primary purpose of my amp will be to drive my turntable, currently an older Technics table (most likely upgrading to a Rega P3 in the next year or two) but I'd also like to be able to play my mp3s occasionally as well, or plug in my laptop for an occasional movie. But again, turntable is priority #1.

My budget is $800 (US) maximum. I had my eyes set on the Marantz PM6004. A little concerned about the 45w output, I discovered the slightly beefier PM8004 which retails for 1000.00 but I found it for just under $800. I have auditioned both amps but not with the Tannoy speakers, obviously. I also can't stop thinking about maybe picking up the Rega Brio R amp, which is marginally within my budget. I guess for the most part though, I'm really considering the Marantz PM8004 but have found very little access to reviews.

Thoughts on the aforementioned integrated amps? Perhaps a recommendation for something I haven't considered yet? Just looking for some outside opinions before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,

jt

Hi JT, welcome to the forum!

One you've perhaps not considered is the Onkyo receiver I'm currently using. I realise you wanted an integrated amp, but I'm using Tannoy speakers (albeit a different model) and the partnership is very impressive.

Benefits of the Onkyo are that it'll deliver not only a good dollop of real world power, probably the best range of facilities on any stereo amp out there, network functionality which means you get firmware updgrades (Onkyo recently added Spotify functionality to an already impressive roster and it also has DLNA functionality as well) and internet radio, it'll take anything most people would probably want to use including turntable, iPod or other digital portable player, CD, TV, even a VCR input, the best thing is that it delivers a top notch sound for the money. Oh and you can add a power amp or subwoofer if you felt like it.

I'm blown away by the combination the Onkyo and the Tannoys deliver. Not sure if you can get them in your area, but definitely worth checking out. One of the most effortless amps I've heard and finally style and substance are no longer mutually exclusive.

Would it beat the amps you've mentioned? It'd be no worse than any of them and I'm happy in thinking it'd acquit itself more favourably.

EDIT: Just saw you're in the US, in which case the Onkyo's power rating is 80wpc - it's 100 in Europe. No idea why, but don't let that put you off.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
One you've perhaps not considered is the Onkyo receiver I'm currently using. I realise you wanted an integrated amp, but I'm using Tannoy speakers (albeit a different model) and the partnership is very impressive.

Benefits of the Onkyo are that it'll deliver not only a good dollop of real world power, probably the best range of facilities on any stereo amp out there, network functionality which means you get firmware updgrades (Onkyo recently added Spotify functionality to an already impressive roster and it also has DLNA functionality as well) and internet radio, it'll take anything most people would probably want to use including turntable, iPod or other digital portable player, CD, TV, even a VCR input, the best thing is that it delivers a top notch sound for the money. Oh and you can add a power amp or subwoofer if you felt like it.

I'm blown away by the combination the Onkyo and the Tannoys deliver. Not sure if you can get them in your area, but definitely worth checking out. One of the most effortless amps I've heard and finally style and substance are no longer mutually exclusive.

Would it beat the amps you've mentioned? It'd be no worse than any of them and I'm happy in thinking it'd acquit itself more favourably.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but RS regarding the Onkyo TX-8050, have you used the phono stage and internet radio function on this amp? As you say it looks remarkably spec'd for for the price, and I wondered how those two functions performed. Very well I would imagine?

T

the record spot

Hi DIB, yes, tried them both now and they're as good as the rest of the amp. Best money I've spent on any hifi - period.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
Hi DIB, yes, tried them both now and they're as good as the rest of the amp. Best money I've spent on any hifi - period.

Thanks for that RS.

Thought as much. My wife and I are going into town tomorrow for various things, and while my wife is doing one thing I'm calling into my local Superfi to have a look and a listen to one. They have my speakers so will be able to get a good idea on how it compares.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I'd consider the second hand market. Plenty of the 700-800 pound integrateds get sold after a few years as people upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for all the input guys and the friendly welcome. And thanks as well for the recommendations outside of the amps i've been considering. Most likely I guess I'll just wait until my speakers arrive and then audition them on as many amps/receivers as humanly possible. The fact that this thread has received praise for all the amps i've mentioned (and more) tells me that I'm at least on the right track.

I still wish that Rega brio was more readily available in the U.S. because I'm dying to audition it but don't like the idea of buying blindly.

Will also check out that Onkyo, which is available in the U.S. (not sure about Seattle hifi stores).

The hifi shops around here LOVE their Cambridge Audio amps and the Audio Azure 650 is available for audition. Thus far, I've shied away from Cambridge simply because their systems under $1K seem to do consistently well but never really outstanding in the hifi reviews I've read.

Just hoping for that perfect match where I can find a budget amp that doesn't sound like a budget amp.

matthewpiano

Cambridge Audio have been making quality amps for some time. The previous 640A models were well reviewed and the 650A has generally had some excellent reviews including being part of the System of the Year in Hi-Fi+ last year. These amps divide opinion somewhat because they tend to be very open and detailed sounding and consequently need careful matching. Get it right though, and they can out-punch much of their direct competition. I like my 650A very much and, although I'm waiting for a Rega Brio-R (which I've heard several times and love) I am still slightly concerned that on a day to day level I won't see much of an upgrade. I certainly won't be selling the 650A until I'm absolutely sure. Audition the Cambridge and try it with your speakers. You'll either love it or it won't be for you. Mine replaced a Marantz PM6003 and massively improved my listening experience.

RS's Onkyo is also well worth an audition. I've been looking at it on the Onkyo website today and it is an impressive looking spec. I respect RS's judgement as we've often liked similar components in the past (Sansui amps, Mission 751s etc) so I have a lot of faith in his reviews of the TX8050. It certainly gives a lot of flexibility and any contact I've had with Onkyo kit in the past has been very positive indeed.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
[/quote]

EDIT: Just saw you're in the US, in which case the Onkyo's power rating is 80wpc - it's 100 in Europe. No idea why, but don't let that put you off.

[/quote]

According to the Manual, the power rating given for North America is"80 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8Ω loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08 %"

This, to me, is the more appropriate expression of power than those stated for European 'dynamic power' of '100Wpc at 8 ohm' or '130Wpc at 6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven of 1%'.

There should be no difference in actual power output between TX 8050s aimed for EU vs US markets and the variation in ratings described in the Manual is due to different standards of measurement - FTC in US and IEC in EU markets, in this particular case.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
What other amps did you compare the Onkyo with? Any of the ones being mentioned here?

To be honest I'd say the same about my Nait5i, that and my speakers, of course. The only amp I heard subsequently which comes close is the Rega Brio -R Most of the rest are decent, but nothing special.

T

the record spot

altruistic.lemon said:
the record spot said:
What other amps did you compare the Onkyo with? Any of the ones being mentioned here?

To be honest I'd say the same about my Nait5i, that and my speakers, of course. The only amp I heard subsequently which comes close is the Rega Brio -R Most of the rest are decent, but nothing special.

I didn't to be fair. I wasn't interested in another plain vanilla integrated which I already had. I went for the Onkyo because it delivered everything I needed from a product right now: a one stop shop that does it all but also does it well. Style AND substance if you will!

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
mystickangaroo said:
Thus far, I've shied away from Cambridge simply because their systems under $1K seem to do consistently well but never really outstanding in the hifi reviews I've read.

Why would that hold you back? It's not because a component only gets 4 stars, that it can not shine when combined with other electronics is a system.

WH says my RX8 bass is somewhat overblown (and using a NAD amp, it is), but when you partner that with a cdplayer and amp that are a bit lighter on the bass side, magical things start to happen. (hence my setup)

It's all about synergy, and yes it might take some time before you find the right setup, but it's always worth it.

So don't rule out electronics or speakers just because they didn't receive those 5 stars.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
I didn't to be fair. I wasn't interested in another plain vanilla integrated which I already had. I went for the Onkyo because it delivered everything I needed from a product right now: a one stop shop that does it all but also does it well. Style AND substance if you will!

So there could be a receiver out there that you might like even more, and you don't even try to find it! >) :p

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
altruistic.lemon said:
the record spot said:

I nipped into Superfi this morning for a listen. Paired up with Epos M16i and then KEF Q300 speakers, the sources were initially a Roksan Caspian CDP and then a Pro-Ject Debut turntable. I wasn't in long, just 45 mins or so, but that was long enough for me to tell that you were getting a great performer for the money (£300). Their demo room was nothing like my front room at home, and I was sat a good deal further back then at home, but really, considering the features it has I don't think you can go wrong for the price.

Interestingly, when listening to my Creek at home for CD the volume is set anywhere between 18 and 25 (out of 80) whilst I had the Onkyo set at about 40 (out of 80) for what I considered a similar listening level. Bearing in mind the difference in the two rooms I don't know whether this means much, but just an observation. Also, the vinyl sounded terrific, but that was cranked up to over 50 on the volume dial.

T

the record spot

kevinJ said:
the record spot said:

So there could be a receiver out there that you might like even more, and you don't even try to find it! >) :p

There isn't one on the market - that I know - that has such an accomplished range of facilities, performs as well and can match the price. Yes, there's the expensive stuff from Naim, the Marantz MCR-603, but those two don't tick all the boxes for me (price on the former, underpowered amps on both IMO) and as I said, plain vanilla integrateds are rapidly going behind the times I think. The only other one I once considered was Harman's HK3490, but that doesn't have a network connection. 12 months ago it was a fine receiver and it still is, but it's off the pace in terms of my needs now.

So, if there is a receiver out there, it's not for the want of looking on my part. 8)

T

the record spot

DIB said:
I nipped into Superfi this morning for a listen. Paired up with Epos M16i and then KEF Q300 speakers, the sources were initially a Roksan Caspian CDP and then a Pro-Ject Debut turntable. I wasn't in long, just 45 mins or so, but that was long enough for me to tell that you were getting a great performer for the money (£300). Their demo room was nothing like my front room at home, and I was sat a good deal further back then at home, but really, considering the features it has I don't think you can go wrong for the price.

Interestingly, when listening to my Creek at home for CD the volume is set anywhere between 18 and 25 (out of 80) whilst I had the Onkyo set at about 40 (out of 80) for what I considered a similar listening level. Bearing in mind the difference in the two rooms I don't know whether this means much, but just an observation. Also, the vinyl sounded terrific, but that was cranked up to over 50 on the volume dial.

Glad to hear you found it a worthwhile trip DIB, it's good to have a demo but sometimes tricky to work out in the demo room with the dealer's choice. No idea how the two amps (Creek and Onkyo) have set their gain but I don't find it wanting. Plenty of power on tap when it's needed. And of course, the option to add a power amp's there too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts