Integrated amp recommendations?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

kevinJ said:
mystickangaroo said:
Thus far, I've shied away from Cambridge simply because their systems under $1K seem to do consistently well but never really outstanding in the hifi reviews I've read.

Why would that hold you back? It's not because a component only gets 4 stars, that it can not shine when combined with other electronics is a system.

WH says my RX8 bass is somewhat overblown (and using a NAD amp, it is), but when you partner that with a cdplayer and amp that are a bit lighter on the bass side, magical things start to happen. (hence my setup)

It's all about synergy, and yes it might take some time before you find the right setup, but it's always worth it.

So don't rule out electronics or speakers just because they didn't receive those 5 stars.

Point noted. I didn't intend to imply that Cambridge hasn't made the shortlist, because it has. I'll definitely be auditioning them. The problem with the Cambridge Audio Azure 650 for me is that it doesn't include a phono input which will require me purchasing a separate phono stage, correct?

RS, damn you're very convincing with that Onkyo. To be honest it has a million features that I'd probably never get around to learning how to use but you say it's phono stage is solid and the ability to really accomodate digital audio (and flac!!!)is pretty impressive as well. And the price is insanely alluring, so much so that I could actually start contemplating my Rega Planar turntable way ahead of schedule. Seriously, it's currently selling for less than $300 (US)!!!

I still want to hear what that Brio sounds like. Just seems appropriate considering i'm shopping (eventually) for a rega turntable. How do you think it handles digital sources (i.e. laptop, iPod). Would the separate DAC be absoutely necessary or just an additional luxury?

John Duncan

mystickangaroo said:
Thus far, I've shied away from Cambridge simply because their systems under $1K seem to do consistently well but never really outstanding in the hifi reviews I've read.

You should read the esteemed Mr Sircom's review that matthewpiano alludes to, it's on the Cambridge website here.

Point noted about phono stage though, you'd need a separate one, which is a shame. Their 640P is fantastic value though...;-)

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
RS's Onkyo is also well worth an audition. I've been looking at it on the Onkyo website today and it is an impressive looking spec. I respect RS's judgement as we've often liked similar components in the past (Sansui amps, Mission 751s etc) so I have a lot of faith in his reviews of the TX8050. It certainly gives a lot of flexibility and any contact I've had with Onkyo kit in the past has been very positive indeed.

Thanks for the kind words MP, much appreciated. Glad to hear you're enjoying the latest of our similar likes! :)

T

the record spot

mystickangaroo said:
RS, damn you're very convincing with that Onkyo. To be honest it has a million features that I'd probably never get around to learning how to use but you say it's phono stage is solid and the ability to really accomodate digital audio (and flac!!!)is pretty impressive as well. And the price is insanely alluring, so much so that I could actually start contemplating my Rega Planar turntable way ahead of schedule. Seriously, it's currently selling for less than $300 (US)!!!

Sorry mate, but it's blown me away by how good it is. Combined with the Tannoys it just makes entertainment a breeze. Take your pick; CD, TV, external hard drive, DLNA, Spotify, internet radio...even the phono stage is decent. Try it out, it might not do it for you like it does me, but that's the point of the audition of course!

A

Anonymous

So a few updates and one potentially really dumb question.

So I think I'm going for the Rega Brio R. I got a chance to audition one the other day (on various speakers) and fell in love with this device. I want this thing. Found a barely used one on Audiogon for the right price so I think I'm gonna go for it. Only problem is forgot to ask the staff one question (more on that in a moment).

RS, While I think I'm gonna avoid the Onkyo this time(lots of really cool features that I just don't need right now) I did link one of your other Onkyo praise threads to a friend who was looking for exactly that kind of amp. He read the specs and your thread and bought it immediately. I'm hoping to go check it out in the next week or so. Who knows, maybe later this year I'll pick one up.

Okay, now for that dumb question. Remember, n00b here:

The pair of Tannoy Mercury V4 speakers I ordered, each tower has four banana plug inputs. That's a total of 8 inputs. The Rega Brio-R amp only has a total of four, two for each tower. How does this work? Is this where you apply that "biwiring" all the kids are talking about. Please be gentle but firm with your answer. I'm hoping to order the amp gently used online so I won't have a salesperson to school me.

A

Anonymous

Take the red & black from the left and right speaker outputs and stick them into the top red and black of the left and right speakers respectively.

Red = +ve.

Black = -ve.

You'll notice that the reds and blacks of each speaker are connected to each other.

Dont go down the biwiring/biamping route.

Advise internet forums. :)

Enjoy your music.

You should be able to get the used one on audiogon for around $650. That's what most of them have sold at for the past few weeks.

Let me know how you like that speaker with the Brios.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure you will love your Rega amp.

I heard one in action a couple of months back with a full Rega system.. Brio R, Apollo CDP, DAC and RS5 speakers.

Sounded fantastic in the shop.

The only thing that I could fault was the absence of a headphone socket, so if you need this function another box is required.

T

the record spot

mystickangaroo said:
RS, While I think I'm gonna avoid the Onkyo this time(lots of really cool features that I just don't need right now) I did link one of your other Onkyo praise threads to a friend who was looking for exactly that kind of amp. He read the specs and your thread and bought it immediately. I'm hoping to go check it out in the next week or so. Who knows, maybe later this year I'll pick one up.

No worries mate, I hope you enjoy your new amp and your mate enjoys his!

A

Anonymous

So in light of today's snow day here in Seattle and the fact that most of my favorite websites are shut down today in protest against the upcoming SOPA/PIPA bills in the US Congress, I thought I'd take a minute to fill you fellas in on how the new soundsystem is fairing.

So I ended up getting the Tannoy Mercury V4 speakers and the Rega Brio R amp. Funny how after many, many hours spent auditioning various amp/speaker combos, I ended up making a blind purchase on gear I had not auditioned as a pair. I picked up some very nice Kimber Kable speaker cables (saughtering the banana plugs onto them today.)

I'm still rocking my very old but true Technics SL-Q2 turntable with a nice Shure cartridge. While it's up to the challenge, I'm hoping to upgrade by late 2012. I've got my eyes on the Rega RP3 with maybe a Sumiko blue point cartridge or the Elys 2. All in due time.

Holy crap, I love this amp! It's fantastic already and the phono stage still has plenty of hours of breaking-in ahead of it. It eliminates all the unncessary odds and ends and focuses simply on pure audio. I think this thing is going to be my primary amp for a very long time. You'd never guess this thing is merely 50w per channel but without all the gadgets and gizmos that interrupt the signal chain, every watt is being put to good use. This thing is powerful! (not looking forward to buying my separate headphone stage though)

As for the speakers, I'm pleased. Of course they're still breaking in but they're very sensitive and detailed. Gotta turn it up a little to get the most from my rock records but Debussy and Ravel sounded amazing during dinner last night at low volume. Currently, they do get just a little bright on the high notes but nothing too shrill. The low end leaves just a little to be desired but that sound may develop as they break in. Many reviews claim that these speakers don't like being too close to the wall. Well for now, I found that pushing them closer to the wall really kicked up the low end just a notch. I'm going to be enjoying these speakers for a while but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm shopping for something else in the next year or two.

My old Technics tuner sounds great as well paired with the amp. The iPod and streaming audio, well that's another matter. It's good enough for background music but for deliberate listening, I'm starting to become a believer in the power of a DAC. One of these days, right? mp3s, lol.

Thanks for all the help. I'll be lurking around here and posting from time to time as well.

Cheers,

Jason

TRENDING THREADS