Indulgence show 2017 (Tomorrow)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Esoteric Nordost ProAc

I have a couple more still to make but out of gas today, was hoping to get finished but I didnt realise how many I did

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I think so too on a good job. If you’ve got a business idea where you can make it pay, go for it. As we were chatting about in Hammersmith. If you are in it for selling, I think where it can really work as far as end customer is concerned, which I just don’t see any other dealers doing, is singing the virtues of the customers to pick products that really work together. There are too many dealers who just say try products and only have a few brands relatively for commercial reasons. If it could be solely about the customer and full intricate knowledge of what’s hot, to suit different tastes, you’d do well. There are not that many tastes but most dealers can’t tell you how arcam works with monitor audio etc. They just tell you what stuff goes with what based on what they have, and sometimes even then they don’t know, which isn’t based on customer but commercial considerations. Is why reviewing how so many components work with one another is key to helping customer. A dealer who could do this and pick the best models would take sales from many other dealers. Is any dealer really different to another and with this in mind, I often wonder what value they add.

QuestForThe13thNote said:
I think so too on a good job. If you’ve got a business idea where you can make it pay, go for it. As we were chatting about in Hammersmith. If you are in it for selling, I think where it can really work as far as end customer is concerned, which I just don’t see any other dealers doing, is singing the virtues of the customers to pick products that really work together. There are too many dealers who just say try products and only have a few brands relatively for commercial reasons. If it could be solely about the customer and full intricate knowledge of what’s hot, to suit different tastes, you’d do well. There are not that many tastes but most dealers can’t tell you how arcam works with monitor audio etc. They just tell you what stuff goes with what based on what they have, and sometimes even then they don’t know, which isn’t based on customer but commercial considerations. Is why reviewing how so many components work with one another is key to helping customer. A dealer who could do this and pick the best models would take sales from many other dealers. Is any dealer really different to another and with this in mind, I often wonder what value they add.
I'll tell you if it works soon enough.

All I've ever done is be honest with anyone I've dealt with and made the best recommendations I can based on their requirements. If I think something will suit better that I don't sell, I'll say so. It's no good trying to fool people, as when they find out, you're unlikely to see them again.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
That Sensor AX5 reads very interesting. May be the solution for a second minimalist system. I am shying away from studio actives because of looks and over analytical sound (Adam).

£800 all in seems cheap and
the Sensors look reasonably small. Wonder how they sound at both high and very low volumes.

maroonbells

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
PCM facts were really good, definition and seperation were stunning. Hugo2 with some PMC 25's sounded really good in the Chord room. Blade Runner 4k on the KEF ATMOS system was stunning.

On another note me and my brother in law thought that we saw Kate Bush walking around the show with her son, strange. We were there Sunday.

No Concept 500's, a shame. Was still a good show. Must admit the PMC's showed me what is missing on my QA 3050's (punchy low end), still enjoy the sound though.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
That Sensor AX5 reads very interesting. May be the solution for a second minimalist system. I am shying away from studio actives because of looks and over analytical sound (Adam).

£800 all in seems cheap and the Sensors look reasonably small. Wonder how they sound at both high and very low volumes.

This is a reasonably well thought out 'system' speaker with limited pre-amp functions and a remote control in a tidy floorstanding package. Like most hi-fi companies Dali are a little behind the curve, it really needs network capability to be really competitive.

Soundwise it is what it is, regular passive Zenzor 5s driven by a 50watt digital plate amplifier, nothing special for the money.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

davedotco said:
drummerman said:

£800 all in seems cheap and the Sensors look reasonably small. Wonder how they sound at both high and very low volumes.

This is a reasonably well thought out 'system' speaker with limited pre-amp functions and a remote control in a tidy floorstanding package. Like most hi-fi companies Dali are a little behind the curve, it really needs network capability to be really competitive.

Soundwise it is what it is, regular passive Zenzor 5s driven by a 50watt digital plate amplifier, nothing special for the money.

but it sounded exceptional for the money though.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Arcam, Chord Company, Russ Andrews Montage - featuring a shot of Quest

Thats the last one

Only 3 weeks now until the next show - groovy

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
davedotco said:
drummerman said:

but it sounded exceptional for the money though.

Last year I heard a comparitive dem with regular Zensor 5s and a marantz PM6005, no contest, separates much better and I am no fan of the Marantz, though I don't mind the Zensors.

Given the price I would spend an extra £100 or so and get the Kubik system, that is a good speaker though, for some reason, sadly neglected.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I was only in there a short time - the music was quite laid back and quite euphonic.

It didnt amaze me but I dont think the music playing would on any system. I actually felt a little awkward being in there, only room I felt like that in.

What was very interesting and its the reason I did the bedrooms compilation video - all those rooms are identical yet they was all setup differently and all sounded completely different

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I didn’t hear that room. I would like to have taken more time and got there earlier but the thing with these shows is, you tend to speed through to see everything and then after doing that for 4or 5 hours, you are knackered (on top of travelling there), and don’t go back to the same rooms.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I was only in there a short time - the music was quite laid back and quite euphonic.

Thx.

I think this goes to the heart of what I've been trying to say - ie. Liquid musicality vs Tightly controlled neutrality.

BTW. Great job with the videos - which I'm making my way through.

I have a favour - If possible, I would love to hear a summary video, where you give a brief synopsis of what you thought of each room (when you've recovered).

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ellisdj said:

Thx.

I think this goes to the heart of what I've been trying to say - ie. Liquid musicality vs Tightly controlled neutrality.

BTW. Great job with the videos - which I'm making my way through.

I have a favour - If possible, I would love to hear a summary video, where you give a brief synopsis of what you thought of each room (when you've recovered).

I have done a bit of a write up on my website but its only brief and needs editing.

I spent more time concentrating on the filming than I did the music - that is a shame but it is the difference between business and pleasure really.

I will say its a very good show, with a nice atmosphere and mixture of level / quality of system demo'd. It wasnt all price no object like a lot of the next show will be HiFI Live show in a few weeks.

I am covering that as well - more time at that one so will be better coverage. I leant a lot from this go, really this was just a warm up / practice for me, but I am, really happy with how it all turned out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts