Rational

Jun 5, 2023
Visit site
I want to purchase a balanced cable for my speakers - Hivi D1200 and Headphones Hifiman Sundara, but I have very less knowledge about the cables and their outputs.
Speakers - Currently my speakers are connected to the ZEN DAC V2 and the connection goes like this: ZenDAC V2 (6.3mm to 3.5mm converter) ---> 3.5mm cable to RCA(Speakers)
My Speakers have 2 RCA inputs, 1 optical input and 1 coaxial input
Headphones - ZenDAC V2 (6.3mm to 3.5mm converter) to Headphones

Please suggest me on how to use the balanced output for both the speakers and the headphones, and which cables/converters should I buy?
Would it be possible to get a converter which works for both speakers and headphones, and delivers balanced sound?

Not sure if balanced output to your speakers is even possible but if it is you are going to need a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter.
Looking at them again I would say there is no point in using a balanced cable even if you can....there doesn't seem to be an input other than the coax sockets

Last edited:
Reactions: Rational

Rational

Jun 5, 2023
Visit site
Not sure if balanced output to your speakers is even possible but if it is you are going to need a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter.
Looking at them again I would say there is no point in using a balanced cable even if you can....there doesn't seem to be an input other than the coax sockets
So if I get a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter does that gonna give me a balanced output for headphones or is it going to convert that balanced 4.4 to unbalanced 3.5 and in the end the output the headphones receive are unbalanced?
Would the same ZenDAC V2 (4.4mm to 3.5mm converter) ---> 3.5mm cable to RCA(Speakers) is going to give me a balanced or unbalanced output?
or balanced/unbalanced term is only applicable for headphones and not speakers?

Anita kishore

Jun 5, 2023
Visit site
So if I get a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter does that gonna give me a balanced output for headphones or is it going to convert that balanced 4.4 to unbalanced 3.5 and in the end the output the headphones receive are unbalanced?
Would the same ZenDAC V2 (4.4mm to 3.5mm converter) ---> 3.5mm cable to RCA(Speakers) is going to give me a balanced or unbalanced output?
or balanced/unbalanced term is only applicable for headphones and not speakers?
A 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter won't provide a balanced output for headphones. It converts the balanced signal to an unbalanced one because the 3.5mm connector isn't designed for balanced signals.
The ZenDAC V2 offers a balanced output, but it only works with headphones that have a balanced input. Connecting the ZenDAC V2 to speakers using a 3.5mm cable will result in an unbalanced output.
A balanced signal carries positive and negative signals on separate conductors, reducing noise and improving sound quality. For the best sound quality, use headphones or speakers with a balanced input and a balanced cable to connect to your source.

Vincent Kars

A balanced signal carries positive and negative signals on separate conductors
Correct but not in the headphone world! What they call a balanced connection in the headphone world is simply 2x2 wires. This allows the use of a amp with floating "ground" e.g. push-pull.

As the speakers have RCA input and the DAC RCA out, use that to connect the speakers.
You need a "balanced" cable for the Sundara if you want to use the balanced out of the DAC

Rational

Jun 5, 2023
Visit site
Thanks everyone for such lovely answers.
I think for sundara's I am gonna go with such a cable if I could find it somewhere on discount - https://www.headphonezone.in/produc...-cable-for-hifiman-sundara-arya-ananda-he400i

A few more doubts -
Should I use the rca to rca such as this one for my speakers - https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-2-Male-RCA-Audio-Cable/dp/B01D5H8P0G or should I continue using the unbalanced output 6.3mm to 3.5mm. Would there be any difference?

Also I have found one 4.4mm to rca cable for speakers but I think I am gonna pass on this one - https://www.amazon.in/NewFantasia-B...onics&sprefix=4.4mm+to,electronics,182&sr=1-1
Don't think this is going to do any good to my speakers.

Gray

1)
Should I use the rca to rca such as this one for my speakers - https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-2-Male-RCA-Audio-Cable/dp/B01D5H8P0G

2) Also I have found one 4.4mm to rca cable for speakers but I think I am gonna pass on this one - https://www.amazon.in/NewFantasia-Balanced-Adapter-Compatible-Digital/dp/B09BLRZ8BB/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=4.4mm+to+rca&qid=1685960224&s=electronics&sprefix=4.4mm+to,electronics,182&sr=1-1
Don't think this is going to do any good to my speakers.
1) Yes, use that cable to connect from rear of Zen to your speakers (y)

2) That cable will not give you balanced operation.....and it might overload the input of your speakers (as it will be giving double the voltage from the Zen, compared to lead 1).....Like you say, pass on that one.

When I first looked at that balanced headphone cable, I thought it was £8,999 :eek:😊
Even so, it's probably still expensive in your currency.
One thing's for sure, if you (or someone you know) is able to use a soldering iron, you could buy the 3 (readily available) plugs and some cable and make one for less money....probably a lot less.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts