If Class A is superior, why are most reviewers references AB?

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
As per, a scan of most reviewing sites shows that most have AB amps as their references and yet most people claim pure Class A as superior. Who's right and why?

rainsoothe

Well, I'm no tech wizz, but I think it comes down to inefficiency. They lose a lot of the current they use as heat, so you get both an amp that runs really hot, and low wattage to the speakers - so if you have a large room and low sensitivity speakers, like ATC for instance, class A amps are kinda out of the question. I think class AB or class D designs are just less fussy.

Also, I don't think class A sounds good with everything - it certainly suits jazz and classical, but if you throw rock, progressive rock at it and some others, like drum and base, hip-hop etc, I think you won't get what you're looking for.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
That's like saying why dont car mags have Porsches as referance. Class A amps are few and far between expensive and produce alot of heat. A referance becomes that for a multitude of reasons. Class A is a niche and has a lovely airy presentation, my amp is heavilly biased into class A but is still AB.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Due to the inefficiencies of class A (which is why they produce so much heat) they tend to be lower powered than class AB.

If you want lots of power class AB or class D are the most sensible option.

Although there are some that state Class A is superior I would somewhat question their judgement given some of today's alternatives.

Class A has it's place but if you are reviewing loads of kit including inefficient speakers it becomes next to useless, having said that the sound of a well set-up Class A system can be used as a 'baseline' for reviewing purposes,

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I suppose it depends how you define "superior"....Class A has many drawbacks, most of which have been listed above.

Also, there are relatively very few true Class A out there and only you can decide if the tariff of owning one is worth it for the SQ...and to do that you need to hear offerings from the likes of Accuphase, Luxman, Sugden Masterclass and Audio Analogue, none of which is cheap.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Also, I don't think class A sounds good with everything - it certainly suits jazz and classical, but if you throw rock, progressive rock at it and some others, like drum and base, hip-hop etc, I think you won't get what you're looking for.

Not sure about that. The 35i has crystal pure clarity, bass slam that would put Thor's hammer to shame and is as fast as a Whippet on Speed. *dirol* (shame it's been discontinued *sad*).

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
rainsoothe said:

Not sure about that. The 35i has crystal pure clarity, bass slam that would put Thor's hammer to shame and is as fast as a Whippet on Speed. *dirol* (shame it's been discontinued *sad*).

Now now boys, no point in arguing over imagined characteristics. :O)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
rainsoothe said:

To know that for sure, you need to have heard one.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
rainsoothe said:

Nope. Only the ability to recognise meaningless waffle is required. The speed of an amplifier indeed. What twaddle.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
rainsoothe said:

Nope. Only the ability to recognise meaningless waffle is required. The speed of an amplifier indeed. What twaddle.

It's down to transient response and damping factor.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-slew-rate

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
rainsoothe said:

So a valve amplifier that isn't good at high frequencies and has a low damping factor must sound terribly slow to you.

TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
rainsoothe said:

So a valve amplifier that isn't good at high frequencies and has a low damping factor must sound terribly slow to you.

And there was me thinking he was referencing the Whippet on Speed remark.

Most whippets on speed would actually be dead and going nowhere. :)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Class A is "better" in that it does not suffer from crossover distortion. This type of distortion is particularly unpleasant as IIRC it is largely made up of odd rather than even harmonics which humans don't like the sound of. Actually you can get rid of most of it with good circuit design and I doubt it is measurable or audible in most modern kit, not that it will stop people claiming Class A sounds better.

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:

A badly designed Valve amp can sound slow, dark and bloated, wheras a well designed one will sound great....they live or die by their power supplies.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:

A badly designed Valve amp can sound slow, dark and bloated, wheras a well designed one will sound great....they live or die by their power supplies.

You see, that's where you and I differ. If I know nothing about a subject I don't mention it. You just keep waffling on, making stuff up.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Seen valves get slated on here a lot but I have heard amazing valve amps

I am also an advocate of class a to me everything else sounds wrong especially digital or class d its clean but too lean for me to be authentic.

I like some meat on those musical bones :)

Also think you can play any style of music as well

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:

You see, that's where you and I differ. If I know nothing about a subject I don't mention it. You just keep waffling on, making stuff up.

The difference between you and I, is much more fundamental and deeper than that.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:

The difference between you and I, is much more fundamental and deeper than that.

Deep and meaningless once again.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:

?

I liked it cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:

Go on Trev, leave TrollC in his box for once and try posting something positive, polite and approving....I dare you.

You might explode, but it'll be worth it, just for the shock value.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:

Go on Trev, leave TrollC in his box for once and try posting something positive, polite and approving....I dare you.

I'm always polite, except for the times my meter hits the end stops. You trigger it repeatedly.

I'll take the bomb squad off standby.

As you were.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:

I'm always polite, except for the times my meter hits the end stops. You trigger it repeatedly.

I'll take the bomb squad off standby.

As you were.

I have to say I'm curious. Why do you do it? You clearly do have plenty of knowledge about what's around, so why pretend to understand stuff about electronics that you clearly don't? Repeatedy telling that guy to try a mains lead is a case in point. It can't possibly make any difference to his sound, so why keep on and on?

TRENDING THREADS