If Class A is superior, why are most reviewers references AB?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
I have to say I'm curious. Why do you do it? You clearly do have plenty of knowledge about what's around, so why pretend to understand stuff about electronics that you clearly don't? Repeatedy telling that guy to try a mains lead is a case in point. It can't possibly make any difference to his sound, so why keep on and on?

This is a thread about Class A, not mains cables....please try to keep up.

There must be other threads going atm that you can derail.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
I have to say I'm curious. Why do you do it? You clearly do have plenty of knowledge about what's around, so why pretend to understand stuff about electronics that you clearly don't? Repeatedy telling that guy to try a mains lead is a case in point. It can't possibly make any difference to his sound, so why keep on and on?

No answer. I thought not.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
Deep and meaningless once again.

Go on Trev, leave TrollC in his box for once and try posting something positive, polite and approving....I dare you.

You might explode, but it'll be worth it, just for the shock value.

I'm always polite, except for the times my meter hits the end stops. You trigger it repeatedly.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I thought valves that aren't required to deliver large currents, have well designed circuitry and sport quality custom wound output transformers, should sound very close even undistinguishable from good SS. To reuse an old real estate saying, implementation, implementation, implementation. Speakers who require high voltage but low current like ESLs, as well as high efficient dynamic speakers (large volume cabinets, large diaphragms, high density EMF alnico or neodymium mags) will do well with valve amps, the technology of its time.

As for Class A, I think it usually is a snob or an OCD thing (or both). IME the audible benefits are miniscule compared to the downfalls. Low power, high electric bill, larger space needed in your living room (I wouldn't buy Class A gear again unless I have dedicated listening room) and high cost of buying the actual gear. Is Class A technically superior than AB, B, D etc.? Yes. A yes but at a cost, which in the end may not translate in a higher fidelity sound. Why?

I'm talking true Class A here, not quasi A in the form of high biased AB like MF A1 or Marantz PM-80. I mean 2A of current burning through those transistors, large heatsinks outside the case etc. To reduce the cons of owning a true Class A topology amp, people buy small integrated amps (small compared to a Krell KSA-100) at the cost of lower power output available to the speakers. This means they limit their choice in speakers, the largest factor of sonic performance in the hi-fi chain.

Cno could have bought better speakers than the KEF R700s if he settled for a more powerfull and cheaper Class AB amp (compared to his MF AMS35I - 35Wpc), thus yielding much higher fidelity than he has at this moment. Boggit transitioned forward by selling the 21Wpc Sugden, getting high quality speaker kit from IPL, a not so well known manufacturer compared to KEF, and opting out for a high current low TIM amp, the Abrahamsen V2.0 UP. This would be a step forward in fidelity compared to Cno IMO, presuming the IPL drivers are better than those by KEF. And I mean higher fidelity in the sense of live performance, larger than life sonic immersion. I consider Electro and Lindsayt as wisemen gear druids among us and I think Boggit did the right choice taking advices from Electro regarding amplification.

However, if Cno is a Class A (OCD) afficionado and in love with his amp, he deserves no criticism. He enjoys his own thing and that is all well and good. He waves his pom-poms for Class A, like I do annoyingly for AB. We keep the forum annoyed/entertained.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:

Overly simplistic, as usual.

The question on this thread is very specific. So far you have made one relevant reply, but eight with the sole intention of thread crapping. I won't help you any further in that aim.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I should add, his speakers are also being underpowered by the amp. He doesn't even have to upgrade the speakers, just get higher powered amp and he climbs the ladder in fidelity.

@David

I meant his KEF Reference 3's, but wrote R700.

@DM

No! We used up all puppy and kitten photos from the internet. We even resorted to frogs in the last brawl.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I should add, his speakers are also being underpowered by the amp. He doesn't even have to upgrade the speakers, just get higher powered amp and he climbs the ladder in fidelity.

@David

I meant his KEF Reference 3's, but wrote R700.

Third time lucky.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
He did buy better speakers than R700s....

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. *biggrin*

Are you saying your hi-fi system is of higher fidelity than Boggit's?

You're the one on a roll, so you tell me.

Deflecting. You sir may have a career in politics. *acute*

I can't comment on Boggit's system in that regard, as I've never heard any of the components separately, let alone together.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I can't comment on Boggit's system in that regard, as I've never heard any of the components separately, let alone together.

Then why not drink his tea and audition his system? After all it's not your typcal Marantz PM6004 + MA BR6, it would be an interesting experience to give it a listen and share your impressions (sheer unbelief from the amazing performance you have just evidenced) on the forum. *dance4*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Vladimir

I believe Cno uses 205/2's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I may need catch up with everyone's systems. Why regular memebers don't like stating their current system in their signature is beyond me.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:

Overly simplistic, as usual.

The question on this thread is very specific. So far you have made one relevant reply, but eight with the sole intention of thread crapping. I won't help you any further in that aim.

Not thread crapping, just calling you on your clueless technobabble nonsense pal. I see you and your other playground chums are calling me a troll, very mature.

Back to class A, no performance gains so no point in this energy conscious age. All that heat causes unreliability too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:

Then why not drink his tea and audition his system? After all it's not your typcal Marantz PM6004 + MA BR6, it would be an interesting experience to give it a listen and share your impressions (sheer unbelief from the amazing performance you have just evidenced) on the forum. *dance4*

I would love to if I was in the same country.

I think his system looks fantastic and likely to compete with stuff at 2 to 3 times its price. It's no wonder that folk are gobsmacked at what is achievable for that budget. There is even a cracking logo to go with the sound.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I would love to if I was in the same country.

I think his system looks fantastic and likely to compete with stuff at 2 to 3 times its price. It's no wonder that folk are gobsmacked at what is achievable for that budget. There is even a cracking logo to go with he sound.

Oh well. I leave you with TrevC to carry on the thread. All the posturing hurts my back.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Cno could have bought better speakers than the KEF R700s if he settled for a more powerfull and cheaper Class AB amp (compared to his MF AMS35I - 35Wpc), thus yielding much higher fidelity than he has at this moment. Boggit transitioned forward by selling the 21Wpc Sugden, getting high quality speaker kit from IPL, a not so well known manufacturer compared to KEF, and opting out for a high current low TIM amp, the Abrahamsen V2.0 UP. This would be a step forward in fidelity compared to Cno IMO, presuming the IPL drivers are better than those by KEF. And I mean higher fidelity in the sense of live performance, larger than life sonic immersion. I consider Electro and Lindsayt as wisemen gear druids among us and I think Boggit did the right choice taking advices from Electro regarding amplification.

However, if Cno is a Class A (OCD) afficionado and in love with his amp, he deserves no criticism. He enjoys his own thing and that is all well and good. He waves his pom-poms for Class A, like I do annoyingly for AB. We keep the forum annoyed/entertained.
I think Cno is usually right the Sugden was good very powerful for its 30W and it's nice airy sound. However the Abrahsmsen heavily biased into class A is so much better along with a very natural neutral sound it has a vice like grip it's great fun and is fast YES FAST I put it up against a non UP version which felt slow the bass note start and stop slower making the music sound ponderous by comparison. And yes the drivers in the IPL's are better and yes they are immersive and give a very natural huge sound that is completely non fatiguing. Mac is coming to dinner on Friday so hopefully will give his impressions then. You never know he might just upgrade those Harbeths! As for the Accuphase well that would be somthing. For what it's I love the idea of class A.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts