If Class A is superior, why are most reviewers references AB?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rainsoothe

tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:
CnoEvil said:
This is a thread about Class A

It may have started about Class A, but it's ended up about TrevC.

Trolle bitte nicht füttern!

:))

Well, freu Trev, all that technical knoledge, too bad your ears don't work... I don't care what anyone says, but tbh I wish everything sounded the same so I could get off cheaper amp-wise. One month ago I listened to Nait 5si, Arcam A19 and Creek Evo 50A. None sounded like the other. I could've gotten either for roughly the same ammount, with a speaker package. I wanted to love the Naim, since I had a Supernait 2 that I loved, and I'm a Naim fanboi. The Creek was my second option, because it looks great and remember liking the Evo 2. I wanted to hate the Arcam because it was so hyped in all the reviews. I ended up buying the Arcam.

I suggest you audition the stuff yourself first, and only then give people the finger (even if it would only mean you need to get your ears checked; but at least we'd know the source of your problem - and, implicitly, ours - is physical, not psychological).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Vladimir said:
Cno could have bought better speakers than the KEF R700s if he settled for a more powerfull and cheaper Class AB amp (compared to his MF AMS35I - 35Wpc), thus yielding much higher fidelity than he has at this moment. Boggit transitioned forward by selling the 21Wpc Sugden, getting high quality speaker kit from IPL, a not so well known manufacturer compared to KEF, and opting out for a high current low TIM amp, the Abrahamsen V2.0 UP. This would be a step forward in fidelity compared to Cno IMO, presuming the IPL drivers are better than those by KEF. And I mean higher fidelity in the sense of live performance, larger than life sonic immersion. I consider Electro and Lindsayt as wisemen gear druids among us and I think Boggit did the right choice taking advices from Electro regarding amplification.

However, if Cno is a Class A (OCD) afficionado and in love with his amp, he deserves no criticism. He enjoys his own thing and that is all well and good. He waves his pom-poms for Class A, like I do annoyingly for AB. We keep the forum annoyed/entertained.
I think Cno is usually right the Sugden was good very powerful for its 30W and it's nice airy sound. However the Abrahsmsen heavily biased into class A is so much better along with a very natural neutral sound it has a vice like grip it's great fun and is fast YES FAST I put it up against a non UP version which felt slow the bass note start and stop slower making the music sound ponderous by comparison. And yes the drivers in the IPL's are better and yes they are immersive and give a very natural huge sound that is completely non fatiguing. Mac is coming to dinner on Friday so hopefully will give his impressions then. You never know he might just upgrade those Harbeths! As for the Accuphase well that would be somthing. For what it's I love the idea of class A.

Harbeths and Accuphase, that is a tall order. Can't wait to hear how the audition goes.
thumbs_up.gif

TrevC

rainsoothe said:
tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:
CnoEvil said:
This is a thread about Class A

It may have started about Class A, but it's ended up about TrevC.

Trolle bitte nicht füttern!

:))

Well, freu Trev, all that technical knoledge, too bad your ears don't work... I don't care what anyone says, but tbh I wish everything sounded the same so I could get off cheaper amp-wise. One month ago I listened to Nait 5si, Arcam A19 and Creek Evo 50A. None sounded like the other. I could've gotten either for roughly the same ammount, with a speaker package. I wanted to love the Naim, since I had a Supernait 2 that I loved, and I'm a Naim fanboi. The Creek was my second option, because it looks great and remember liking the Evo 2. I wanted to hate the Arcam because it was so hyped in all the reviews. I ended up buying the Arcam.

I suggest you audition the stuff yourself first, and only then give people the finger (even if it would only mean you need to get your ears checked; but at least we'd know the source of your problem - and, implicitly, ours - is physical, not psychological).

Who said everything sounds the same? I never have. Perhaps you should get your strawmen checked.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
JMac, with some speakers I prefer my class AB amps. With others I prefer my class A amps.

Horses for courses.

Use whatever makes you happiest.

Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Trev c U are a tw t

*shok*

A bit harsh!
Yes but someone needs to teach him how to play nicely with all the other boys in the playground

There is a line that none of us should cross however much we disagree with one another. He doesn't cross that line but you just did. Not cool my man. Not cool.

Indeed not cool.

You may not agree with much or any of what TrevC spouts but he has a perfect right to do so. You on the other hand do not have the right to attack other posters in that way................... bring on the mods.

Vladimir said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Vladimir

I believe Cno uses 205/2's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I may need catch up with everyone's systems. Why regular memebers don't like stating their current system in their signature is beyond me.

Hi Vladimir

Don't know but Cno doesn't seem to mention the model of his speakers as much as his Linn and MF main components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicrarft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Vladimir said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Vladimir

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I may need catch up with everyone's systems. Why regular memebers don't like stating their current system in their signature is beyond me.

Hi Vladimir

Don't know but Cno doesn't seem to mention the model of his speakers as much as his Linn and MF main components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicrarft

...aside from a thread with 322 posts.

CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Vladimir said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Vladimir

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Vladimir

All the best

Rick @ Musicrarft

Hi Cno

I take it that you're in from work and straight on here *biggrin* until around 11pm *biggrin* You could have also mentioned your 205/2's in this post - for old times sake *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Vladimir said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Vladimir

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Vladimir

All the best

Rick @ Musicrarft

Hi Cno

I take it that you're in from work and straight on here *biggrin* You could have also mentioned your 205/2's in this post - for old times sake *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Work over for the week, as I'm into hospital tomorrow.

The 205/2s have Class A credentials, but have now been made redundant.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Can I just mention cno's 205/2's as I feel mention of them may be long overdue .............. no? Alright then...

EDIT: Darn cno just did..

PS Hope nothing serious cno.

Kidney stone removal. *sad*

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
Can I just mention cno's 205/2's as I feel mention of them may be long overdue .............. no? Alright then...

All best wishes, sir! Hope it's a very brief stay in hospital.

Matt *drinks*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:

All best wishes, sir! Hope it's a very brief stay in hospital.

Matt *drinks*

Me and you, both.

*drinks*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hope it all goes smothley Cno and wish you the best! Just look at it as an oppurtunity to listen to loads of music. Mac is coming over Friday night, we will have a drink for you!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts