I was wrong about HDMI cables!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
fr0g said:
"The testing". You mean the heresay of one individual and his missus?

A fascinating, almost Freudian, intermediate mis-spelling between "hearsay" and "heresy", both of which might be thought to apply to this whole thread!

For what it's worth (diddly-squat I'm sure), I'm willing to believe the original posting of duaplex, in that he noticed a difference when he tried the new Chord Active Silver HDMI cable.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There has just been a book publsihed regarding everything there is to know about hdmi and its implementation - HDMI Uncensired

http://hdmiuncensored.com/

One of the chapers is entitled - "Are all HDMI cables created equal" - I would be very interested to know what it says ? Has anyone read it?

I would also love £5 HDMI's to be the same as £50 ones as I would be a lot richer but to me they just simply are not -

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
The author of the book is Jeff Boccaccio, and this is his view about HDMI cables: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MMDGkQ-w5s&sns=em

Spot on. Start at 3.30 for the juicy bits.

Perhaps ellisdj and others who've posted saying there's a difference would care to give us their thoughts on this? Sliced bread, seems to me if anyone would know then this guy would?

ellisdj said:
I would also love £5 HDMI's to be the same as £50 ones as I would be a lot richer but to me they just simply are not -

As someone who calibrates his TV to the very last detail, you will enjoy reading this test:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-entertainment/1292371/expensive-hdmi-cables-make-no-difference-the-absolute-proof

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
bigboss said:
The author of the book is Jeff Boccaccio, and this is his view about HDMI cables: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MMDGkQ-w5s&sns=em

Spot on. Start at 3.30 for the juicy bits.

Perhaps ellisdj and others who've posted saying there's a difference would care to give us their thoughts on this? Sliced bread, seems to me if anyone would know then this guy would?
Excellent. No difference between HDMI cables. I found it interesting that Jeff said that the people who sell the cables don't understand them because they neither make them nor have access to the specifications.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
fr0g said:
"The testing". You mean the heresay of one individual and his missus?

A fascinating, almost Freudian, intermediate mis-spelling between "hearsay" and "heresy", both of which might be thought to apply to this whole thread!

For what it's worth (diddly-squat I'm sure), I'm willing to believe the original posting of duaplex, in that he noticed a difference when he tried the new Chord Active Silver HDMI cable.

Indeed, I don't know how that crept in. Naughty me.

As for "willing to believe". Me too. In fact I am certain he and his significant other noticed a difference. I am equally certain that there was none... barring my previous caveats.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:

Interesting watch that - he says video is not different - however doesnt mention sound.

You shouldnt dig at someone for calibrating their TV, thats what you pay someone to do because its worht it - if you dont calibrate it you and not getting the best from it - not even close, you would not believe the difference!

ellisdj said:
You shouldnt dig at someone for calibrating their TV, thats what you pay someone to do because its worht it - if you dont calibrate it you and not getting the best from it - not even close, you would not believe the difference!

I wasn't digging at you at all. Just pointing you towards a review whose testing method may be of interest to you. There is no doubt in my mind that professionally calibrating a TV helps its performance.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I 100% accept what he says...... I just did quick test expecting to see no difference

I just went downstairs plugged in el cheapo hdmi between the blu ray and HDMI switcher box HD621 and loaded up Batman Dark Knight Rises Chapter 5.

Watched about 4 minutes until they start all coming outside - Initially I thought it looked the same as usual as per the video - but I did think it looked a bit duller from memory - cant be

I also noticed some noise on the picture and the movement didnt seem as good as I remember from my demo at lunch time - just looked average not amazing as I remember

Turned all off - plugged the Chord Activce back with blue plug back in - eveything back on - within 2 seconds the image looks brighter and better, but still similar - it moves into the bit where Bane goes through the metal detector - that all seems more detailed and the movement of his attack is more fluid and clearer - the same goes for the section in the trading room and is esecially noticeable on the close up of bane - he looks flat on the cheapo but is really rounded and 3D and his head detail, mask scars etc is crisp with the Chord. Really good make up

The picture looks the same but its clearly night and day difference between the two - the difference is small, but not small.

Now I appreciate this goes against that video and what the expert says and I appreciate it may make me look stupid - I have no vested interest in Chord HDMI cables and dont care about spending money on them - the cost peanuts compared to everything else I have bought

I am so confident in the difference I am willing to have someone round to see it as well - better if its a non believer as you will be hard to prove the other way

You will also get to see how good the Kuro really is and how my system sounds as a bonus - I live in Essex - anyone interested? Big boss be good for you to see a calibrated screen - you will be investing shortly after I would bet

I will also try and do some measurements (Ben Laws suggestion) when I can to see if the hdmi has affected the calibration - the white pioneer logo did look like it had a green tint to it but that could be me imagining it with the el cheapo

Ben Law or Big Boss are 2 ideal candidates if you are local or over this way soon?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi BB - that would be great to meet you and go over all these things - we have often debated issues so will be good for me to show you why I say the things I do :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed reply ellisdj. Unfortunately I'm even further from you than bb and nothing is likely to be bringing me to your area any time soon, but I would be interested if bb or anyone else takes you up on the offer.

I find it interesting that this debate has reached the stage it has at the same time as majorfubar's thread, have you seen that ellisdj?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi BenLaw I havent seen it no - I only piped up in this one as the op said he heard a big difference putting the chord active into his system.

That made me write my experiences about them and the differences I have seen. Whats happened in that thread?

I am not naive or ignorant to reading and listening to the science behind there not being a difference between hdmi cables - and recently I would have loved to have used cheap cables and I tried them extensively but I just couldnt stand the image I was getting - nothing to do with any bias it just wasnt as good as what I was used to - even the mrs who couldnt care less commented completely unprovoked

ellisdj said:
I am not naive or ignorant to reading and listening to the science behind there not being a difference between hdmi cables - and recently I would have loved to have used cheap cables and I tried them extensively but I just couldnt stand the image I was getting - nothing to do with any bias it just wasnt as good as what I was used to - even the mrs who couldnt care less commented completely unprovoked

Have you tried any other cheap cable? Like this?

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi ellisdj,i live in essex,i dont need to see the diffrence between hdmi cables cos i know what you are saying is true ,but i would love to see your calibrated kuro ,as i have thought about getting mine done.cheers david

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi eliisdj,you are more than welcome to come and see my system,i live in sunny southend if thats not to far.it looks like you have a great system yourself.my system is a bit old now but it has stood the test of time.if you would like to meet up ,just give me time and well sort something out,cheers david

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The only cheap one I have came free with Virgin - I use it for our Virgin to TV upstairs - it works perfectly fine, no problems with it at all from a function point of view

I also have a Audioquest Pearl thats a different cable that I have tested as well.

To David Vann - I dont see why I cant arrange for you to have a demo at sometime - I wouldnt mind hearign your system as well - reads quite interesting - not kit I am totally familiar with buy sounds high end all the same :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Hi BenLaw I havent seen it no - I only piped up in this one as the op said he heard a big difference putting the chord active into his system.

That made me write my experiences about them and the differences I have seen. Whats happened in that thread?

No, not the line about your wife! :hand: ;)

Anyway, this is the thread I meant: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-media/cds-ripped-by-different-drives-sound-differentnearly-fell-for-it

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
ellisdj said:

No, not the line about your wife! :hand: ;)

Anyway, this is the thread I meant: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-media/cds-ripped-by-different-drives-sound-differentnearly-fell-for-it

just had a look at that and don't see the relevance - your saying digital is digital I get that, that's all I get. That's where you would argue that's all that matters :)

shame your so far away will have to wait for BB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts