I see the light! Spotify streaming to Hi FI, need advise

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys,

Right Im done with my CD collection I hardly use it on my Hi FI now in my new flat. Recently Ive been using my iphone to plug directly into my amp and lsiting to internet radio and last FM etc..

But ive found spotify.

which I love.

Ive heard of many different ways to stream this from my PC to my Hi fi, such as airport express and airfoil or buying a squezzebox or awireless audio streamer etc..

but whats the cheapest easist way to actually do this. ?

and how does it work does my pc need to be playing the music also?

many thanks[Z]

idc

With the setup you have got the cheapest way would be with a DAC. The connections would be USB or digital optical or coax cable from the PC to the DAC and then phono cables to your amp using one of its spare inputs. Or you could use a wireless connection from the PC to the DAC. How is your room set up?

Using a standard PC it needs to be on to play the music.

daveh75

As you're happy with the sound quality of your iphone connected to the amp, the most obvious,and simplest solution would be Spotify mobile - Though it does require subscription to Spotify Premium...

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I dont really want to use spotify premium. I would rather have my iphone to control the music. My pc is in my bedroom and hi fi/ tv is in the lounge. I would like to stream spotify wireless. or any other audio programs such as itunes/winamp /last fm.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
DrizztDan:
Hello guys,

Right Im done with my CD collection I hardly use it on my Hi FI now in my new flat. Recently Ive been using my iphone to plug directly into my amp and lsiting to internet radio and last FM etc..

But ive found spotify.

which I love.

Ive heard of many different ways to stream this from my PC to my Hi fi, such as airport express and airfoil or buying a squezzebox or awireless audio streamer etc..

but whats the cheapest easist way to actually do this. ?

and how does it work does my pc need to be playing the music also?

many thanks
emotion-47.gif

The cheapest way to get any content from your PC to hifi would be to get airfoil (£15 i think) and get the airfoil speakers app for your iphone and you can stream whatever sound you want from your pc to your iphone (and into your hifi) via wifi including spotify. That way no need for premium. This is what I did for a while to see if I would use spotify enough to justify the premium subscription.

There are more convenient and better sounding alternatives though...

saintsboy

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
On the basis your remit is that you are looking for a cheap way; I use a OneForAll wireless audio sender-model SV1740-which cost me £20. USB dongle for the PC and a small box to plug into the hi-fi. I've never had a seconds problem with any interference and the sound quality is fantastic via Spotify or the music on my PC. Can't imagine any significant improvement via DAC costing ten times as much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts