I need help........cd player kinda help!

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
I am on the market for a cd player to pair up with roksan kandy amp. I am looking for a classy piece with a strong vibrant sound through my linn kelidhs. I listen to all sorts manics to arvo part, metallica to depeche mode.

I dont want to spend a fortune and happy to use ebay for a good deal on older kit.

So its your expert reccomendations I am looking for

Help guys please!

T

the record spot

Budget? A solid all-rounder, especially if you have a wide range of formats, would be the Cambridge 650BD which will play pretty much any audio disc, has a video "off" feature and is about as good as it gets at less than £500 these days. Seriously considering this to reduce the box count on my sideboard at home right now...

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
Sorry,

Maybe I did not make it clear, its a pure cd player that I am after, not a multi format player. I have no issues with multi boxes or looks, I just want musicality.....

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I see from your sig that you have a Sonos system.

Why not spend the money (part of) on an external DAC like the beresford caiman or the dacmagic which improves the sound no end from the Sonos.

If however you are interested in a CDP then I have heard good reviews of the Marantz KI 63sig or for a little more the rega Apollo.

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I have just discovered how good Cyrus is - got a second hand one of a forum site for £230 - very, very, very happy. Have spent a lot of time over the last couple of weeks re-discovering my CD collection. SONOS now not used for anything other than internet radio

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
And will update sig soon (just a few more CDs to play first)

roten:

I have just discovered how good Cyrus is - got a second hand one of a forum site for £230 - very, very, very happy. Have spent a lot of time over the last couple of weeks re-discovering my CD collection. SONOS now not used for anything other than internet radio

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
woodster:
I am on the market for a cd player to pair up with roksan kandy amp. I am looking for a classy piece with a strong vibrant sound through my linn kelidhs. I listen to all sorts manics to arvo part, metallica to depeche mode.

I dont want to spend a fortune and happy to use ebay for a good deal on older kit.

Help guys please!

The Creek Evolution CDP (either version 1 or 2, not a huge amount of difference to my ears between the players) is good for the money. Version 2 is available on the website you mention (ebay) new for £519 (usually about £670 rrp) and version 1 is available 'open box' from Superfi on their website for £299 - that is a bargain.

woodster:

Help guys please!

Either Roksan's own Kandy CDP or Exposure 2010S (or S2).

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:woodster:

Help guys please!

Either Roksan's own Kandy CDP or Exposure 2010S (or S2).

Good call PP. Both are good.

I was going to suggest the Roksan Kandy MKIII if the current version is out of budget. I used to have it and found that you get a pretty rythmic, detailed sound with plenty of gusto. At times it could get a little bright but I think that was it's compromise for the drama it provided.

If you're happy with used then the Musical Fidelity XRay 8 provides a more balanced and detailed sound compared to the Kandy. It sounds more 'right' to me but does sacrifice some of the raw excitement for a more considered and natural presentation. For me it's a better player.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
many thanks again guys......

had Kandy in mind as a second hand option but interested in the exposure 2010s now from the reviews I have read. Does anyone know what the 2010 sounds like with my kandy amp and linn kelidhs, tall order that someone might have that combo, but hey you never know.

I might just have to gamble slightly eh......

TRENDING THREADS