I have an 8 ohm amplifier. Can I power 8ohm speakers?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It depends on the impedance curve of the speakers ie. do they drop to under 4 Ohms.

...though TBF, I suspect you'll be fine.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It depends on the impedance curve of the speakers ie. do they drop to under 4 Ohms.

With a nominal impedance of 8 ohms the impedance really should not drop significantly below 8 ohms, though it would appear no one nothered to tell B&W that.

I am more concerned by what is 'behind' the question, given it's apparent obviousness. Are we straying into 'it's only 38 watts into speakers with a 100watt maximum rating, so I can run the amplifier at maximum volume' territory here?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
CnoEvil said:

With a nominal impedance of 8 ohms the impedance really should not drop significantly below 8 ohms, though it would appear no one nothered to tell B&W that.

...or Kef.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Why can't we just give the newby the straightforward Yes answer his question deserves, without complicating it by going into depths he probably won't understand and won't be interested in. He just wants a Yes or No answer.

I once read a very amusing article about how internet forums would deal with the question "how do I put on a coat", and the hypothetical thread ran to nearly 200 replies, some even questioning the existence of the coat, before inevitably falling foul of Godwin's Law.

TrevC

CnoEvil said:

Is there an impedance curve for every speaker WHF tests? If not, how would you know if your ***** rated speaker is a difficult load? In the absence of a frequency response graph, how can you tell if the speakers are going to sound a bit bright?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Why can't we just give the newby the straightforward Yes answer his question deserves, without complicating it by going into depths he probably won't understand and won't be interested in. He just wants a Yes or No answer.

If the specs of the speaker were known, along with the amps power into 4 Ohms...and the volume that the OP wants to listen to, a Yes/No answer would be much easier.

The fact that the speaker lists Amps from 10W and above, is the reason I said there would likely be no problem. I prefer to be a little cautious with other people's money.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

I once read a very amusing article about how internet forums would deal with the question "how do I put on a coat", and the hypothetical thread ran to nearly 200 replies, some even questioning the existence of the coat, before inevitably falling foul of Godwin's Law.

As I said, I am concerned by the absolute straightforwardness of the question. It is so straightforward that I find myself wondering what is not being asked......*unknw*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
As I said, I am concerned by the absolute straightforwardness of the question. It is so straightforward that I find myself wondering what is not being asked......*unknw*

It's so straightforward a question that any answer beyond a basic Yes or No sounds like it's not going to be constructively helpful to the OP's cause. The bottom line answer (with the caveat of a few million other considerations which he won't have thought about, and that are material to us as pedants, but not to him as a newby asking what we think is an over simplistic question)...is just simply 'Yes'.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Love your post
To many smart arses and small men syndrome going on here.

Ive just posted a similar thing on a simple cable thickness thread.

MajorFubar said:
davedotco said:

It's so straightforward a question that any answer beyond a basic Yes or No sounds like it's not going to be constructively helpful to the OP's cause. The bottom line answer (with the caveat of a few million other considerations which he won't have thought about, and that are material to us as pedants, but not to him as a newby asking what we think is an over simplistic question)...is just simply 'Yes'.

TBF, the first 2 replies already answered the OP's question. If the OP wishes to know about it in more detail, read further on! :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:

Is there an impedance curve for every speaker WHF tests? If not, how would you know if your ***** rated speaker is a difficult load? In the absence of a frequency response graph, how can you tell if the speakers are going to sound a bit bright?

Some list their minimum impedance (3.2 Ohms in my case), which gives an idea....then it's a matter of trying it.

Generally I determin if a speaker is bright (with a particular amp), by listening to it....when it comes to personal preference, "bright" is subjective.

manicm

davedotco said:

In fairness B&W state their minimum impedance which nobody bothers to read before weeping pain and tears. For example they state the specs for the 685 S2 as 8Ω (minimum 3.5Ω). But nooooo......

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Love your post To many smart arses and small men syndrome going on here.

This is nothing to do with being a smart arse and everything about finding out enough about the OP's situation to give accurate advice.

To know if the amp/speaker combination is suitable, you need to know what speakers he is using, what size of room they are in and how loud he likes to play his system. Without this knowledge, the answer is nothing but an over simplistic guess.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:
Love your post To many smart arses and small men syndrome going on here.

This is nothing to do with being a smart arse and everything about finding out enough about the OP's situation to give accurate advice.

To know if the amp/speaker combination is suitable, you need to know what speakers he is using, what size of room they are in and how loud he likes to play his system. Without this knowledge, the answer is nothing but an over simplistic guess.

Fair enough and that is correct but its the way the questions are being asked almost in a way that be-littles the one asking. I just find the manners a bit rude or am i just reacting to the all amps sound the same thread

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Fair enough and that is correct but its the way the questions are being asked almost in a way that be-littles the one asking. I just find the manners a bit rude or am i just reacting to the all amps sound the same thread

I think you are muddling me with someone else.....I certainly don't need to insult others from behind a keyboard, just to boost my ego.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I re-read the replies and think i got that one wrong.
I was re-acting to other threads ive read where people are asking advice and the people that reply often in my opinion seem more intent on showing up the chap or trying to show up other people that are trying to help.

So sorry cno

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cno certainly does not fall into that camp.

However I do wonder how some people get through life! A very quick Google would answer a lot of these questions.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I re-read the replies and think i got that one wrong. I was re-acting to other threads ive read where people are asking advice and the people that reply often in my opinion seem more intent on showing up the chap or trying to show up other people that are trying to help.

So sorry cno

No problem.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:

+1

I've said that to them several times over the past few years but they never reply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts