Hypex NC400 users and pictures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
It's a cyclops :)

That's nothing ...

dan_dagostino_7.jpg

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Esra said:
I think it makes more sense to compare with a Bluesound Powernode 2 from business aspects.That´s a pretty smart piece of hardware imo..

Do you by any chance know what the casework of the Powernode is made of?

it seems out of cfk,but i can tell more when i had my hands on soon

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Jota180 said:
chebby said:
drummerman said:
It's a cyclops :)

That's nothing ...

Looks like a ship that's lost it's sail on the open sea.

Yes. It looks like something that should feature on the submarine in 'The league of extraordinary Gentlemen'.

The Momentum is beautifully made and the Swiss in me loves that intricate dial but I personally think it looks ungainly with that odd base.

Now, without that base, half width ...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Love Italian coffee, strong, Love there coffee machines, I just dont want my HiFi to look like one!

I should of written it better! *mail1*

"should have".

No excuses, you're in 'business' now...!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just contemplating how much nicer (and more practical) the Devialets and their remotes would look in sandblasted alu ...

Densen's newer components (after the awful gold knobs) kind of appeal too. There is a certain elegance in the stark simplicity, especially in the light finish.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
iQ Speakers said:
Love Italian coffee, strong, Love there coffee machines, I just dont want my HiFi to look like one!

I should of written it better! *mail1*

"should have".

No excuses, you're in 'business' now...!
Its not my strong point, it just does not come naturally.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hypex have introduced another OEM module: the NC500. And that looks like something to keep an eye on!

AcousticImagery have built their Atsah 500 mono amp around it, and that monoblock sells for €1140 in their webshop (for continental Europe). There's a dealer (with demo room) in the UK: Hifi Hangar (http://www.hifihangar.co.uk) in Bordon (at the Surrey/Hampshire border if I read well). No prices on the site, but that should be some 850 GBP a piece.

Review (by the US importer, mind you!) at http://tweekgeek.blogspot.co.uk (I can't paste any links into this ####ing site anymore!).

I have my NC400 modules waiting in a drawer already, but this looks like quite the alternative!

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey Doc,great find!Sounds like a good deal,if you consider some Diy Nc400 would cost you around 800 with a higher priced case like the ghent.Thats around 350 for the build which is not too gready imo. and a much better deal than the NAD M22.

They say the amps sound dark and rolled off in the beginning.I experienced similar with the NC400 but they opened up extremely after two months with maybe 2 hours of listening per day.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Since I'm at work now (with a Windows pc), I'll try and add some pictures. I really like the carbon finish on those Atsah 500s!

CJ0y5jFWEAAJTfg.jpg

CJ0y5jRW8AE4JSV.jpg

Oh, and it's £799 a piece (inc.VAT) apparently. Gets you 400 W @ 8 Ohm and 700 W @ 4 Ohm (that's right! not a typo!) of smooth Ncore power; at 2 Ohm, the power dips to 'only' 550 W though. So if your speakers don't have a crazy impedance curve...

And Acoustic Imagery sell XLR-XLR and XLR-RCA cables for connecting your pre-amp too (the amps are XLR only).

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
So i would think the the 500 are OEM parts? the 400 are 300 euros each plus 2 PSU's and case. there are no discounts on the NC400 as its meant for the DIY market. The back looks better than the front! May well have a talk with HiFI hanger interesting. Im still waiting for my "bits" speaker, RCA conectors to come befor i can build the UcD180's

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Hypex UcD180 Amplifier done and working! I think the case need a little work!

Hi Boggit, nice job!

I guess the white wires go to the speaker connectors? If it's anything like the NC400, you should twist them together as tightly as possible, to avoid interference. Do they mention that in the manual?

Very curious what the case will be like...

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Speaker wires indeed, yes ill note the twisting. to be honest it was a quick lash up just to see what they sounded like. I still carnt belive it! About 200 euros of modules that look pretty simple the SMD are on the underside of the board and hey presto a superb sounding amp. I think the issue for me selling them is the CE aproval ill no doubt ill have to get! As to the case i think the way forward is just a half width simple case to keep costs down a £399 amp is possibe just add a source with pre and wow very cheap system.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Esra said:
So what do you think?Comparison with the Abrahamsen?Got curious about the NC400?

How does it sound CXN-UCD vs. CXN-V2.0?
Quite frankly I'm amazed and to be honest they are so close. I think the Abrahamsen is smother, the Hypex is louder. But the both do base very well, the differances are marginal. Curious about the NC400 yes but would not work at 600 euros a pair plus PSU. Now the 500 that Acoustic Imagery are useing they must be cheaper than the 400? the 400 is for DIY. The 500 is not even in the Hypex webshop. Im still grining!

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Lets see how it sounds after few weeks.As said my NC400 sounded much better after few weeks and still need about 10min to sound best.

If there is really a 500 you could contact Hypex,as it seems to be a oem module only or it is a NC400 module with a higher PSU.

Maybe you could think about active speakers,just a idea.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The NC500 is strictly OEM. No idea about the price...

A major difference, compared to the NC400, is that the '500 has no input buffer on board. I suppose you can use Hypex's HxR regulators for that (but don't shoot me if you can't -- my technical knowledge is close to non-existant...)

The power it produces is also different: here.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
CE Marking shouldnt be too hard if all the components were purchased in the EU as they should come with their own CE marks and declarations of conformity. You can then compile the relevant documentation and issue your own Declaration of Conformity.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
JMac said:
CE Marking shouldnt be too hard if all the components were purchased in the EU as they should come with their own CE marks and declarations of conformity. You can then compile the relevant documentation and issue your own Declaration of Conformity.

Cheer JMac I know you can self certify you have to build a technical file sounds like you have experience of it? Hypex said they would help with this, to be honest they have been brilliant to deal with.

I can confirm the existance of the NC500 it is an OEM product which I now have access to. Cases ordered and will order some NC500 modules to try,

TRENDING THREADS