TV Calibration Experiences

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I am wondering what other people's thoughts are based on their experiences of having their tv calibrated.

Over the weekend I have finally managed to make some progress on DIY calibration using an i1 Display Pro colorimeter and HCFR software. Has taken me a few attempts to get my head around the whole thing since buying the i1 for Christmas, but it finally started to make sense on my latest attempt! And once everything clicked in to place it really is a tweaker's delight! :)

I'm still not finished yet (far from it), but have adjusted greyscales and gamma which according to the equipment and software are getting pretty close to their targets.

I haven't had a really good chance to evaluate the new settings yet - calibration took place in near darkness, and the only thing I've managed to watch in those conditions is ITV HD last night, which probably isn't the best of sources to gauge anything on.

But my initial impressions so far - positive: colours far more natural, whites are much much better for detail; negative: picture is a little darker than I'm happy with - reduced detail in dark scenes for sure (gamma has been set to 2.3), picture seems a bit softer than before (which I'm not sure I like).

I will try to leave things alone for a few days and re-assess my perceptions then, but wondering what your initial reactions were (whether calibrated professionally or DIY)?

Also curious if people use different viewing modes for day time and night time, or go as far as to use different viewing modes for different sources.

Would appreciate your thoughts and insight, cheers

ps TV is a Panasonic P50GT60, fwiw

D

Deleted member 2457

My experience was a positive one. I had CanaryJules do it and he was very good and explained everything. My initial thoughts were that it was slightly darker but this seemed to make the picture cleaner and sharper and blacks were better. Whites were very white, motion seemed the same, no pictures looked bad and I liked it, but then I went and sold my Panasonic 50VT65 for an OLED, and I can't be bothered to have it done again. The way and I and sell I can't be bothered with calibration any more.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Gel, interesting to read your initial thought was similar to mine that things seemed a bit darker. I have just walked into the lounge where my son is watching Toy Story 3 and it looks really good! Might have to watch The Dark Knight again soon to further evaluate those black levels in dark scenes :)

D

Deleted member 2457

margetti said:
Thanks Gel, interesting to read your initial thought was similar to mine that things seemed a bit darker. I have just walked into the lounge where my son is watching Toy Story 3 and it looks really good! Might have to watch The Dark Knight again soon to further evaluate those black levels in dark scenes :)
You can flick between the two settings to get more of an idea too.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had my VT calibrated twice. The first time wasn't a good experience and I got my money back. The second calibration was done by Vincent Teoh and he changed my negative view on calibration to a very worth while and positive experience. I would highly recomend Vincent and other popular calibrators are Steve withers and Canary jools .

the calibration made a massive difference to my VT plasma and made the skin tones more natural, cleared the crushed blacks and increased the shadow detail in dark scenes and gave the picture more 'pop'.

Have a look at the thread that Big Bro has posted...

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I've yet to get my TV calibrated but from experience your initial thoughs will be unsure as you aren't used to what you are seeing. If it's done right you may feel unsure to start with but when it becomes the norm you will be happy as Larry.

Only do this with something like Country File where the picture is untreated to look moody but compare what you see in the real world around you, Shade areas, how dark are they to your eyes, of course yours eyes adjust when you look at the sky but try to get an over all picture in your head about the world around you and do you see the same on your TV?

95% of films and now TV serials and even documentaries will be colour treated for mood and look but if normal looking programs as I discribe look normal then you'll be seeing movies and such as intended buy the movie/program makers.

Persoanlly I would go with a professional. Maybe do a course before doing it yourself and you can be gaurnteed satisfaction when you are done. Courses are expensive though and there aren't many about. ISF or THX are the only ones I know of.

GP

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Fair play for doing it yourself and self learning.

I did the same as you started with hcfr which is a bit confusing.

I then invested in calman and everything got a lot simpler with better results.

Rome wasnt built in a day i have calibrated my own tvs 20 ish times and learnt something new everytime.

If you do it yourself perfect or not it will mean much more to you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts