Demo of speakers

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Well today was the demo day at the dealers place. First of all I think its fair to say i struggle with shop demos as it is hard to take in at times.

First off was the Scansonic MB6 - For me a massive let down. Read so much about these lately and have had some very favourable reports although albeit not for this model. In their defence they were brand new and had only had about 20 hours run in. I know this can make a huge difference, but to me they were very dull, and totally lacked in the bass department. A big disappointment for what is a beautiful looking elegant speaker.

Sonus Faber Olmpica II - loved these straight away, If i was to use one word it would be sweet. That sums them up. Lovely relaxing smooth sound. Bass was good and another beautiful looking speaker.

Usher Mind Dancer 2 - the big surprise for me. I was not expecting much from these but they sounded great too. Bass was absoultely awesome on these , and this was in a room which is not so good for bass apparently. Slight issue was that they could appear a little cloudy to me. Maybe this was the bass being a bit too much. I am not sure. Again a lovely looking speaker.

Martin Logan Vantage, dealer threw a curve ball in with these and again I loved them. Absolutely flooded the room in music. I had never heard Electrostatics before and I was well impressed. Just not so sure I could get away with their looks in my living room.

So on enjoyment , which is surely the best way to measure a speakers performance I would say Martin Logan just pipped the Sonus Fabers but it was very close and I really liked the laid back feel of the SFs. Next was the Ushers and the Scansonics trailed in well behind. Maybe a little unfair as they were brand new and not run in.

Had a great day and three of the speakers I really liked. I now have the SFs on a home demo for a week or so and I will see how I feel.
Initial impressions at home in my lively room are they are very musical and very easy to listen to. Bass is excellent but my lack of room means they are close to rear wall and the bass can be a tad too much at times ( will try with SAM soon).

The 23s are certainly no slouch in comparison mind and they seem to have more attack and bite than all of the others, but as i say i will have a chance to compare more over the next few days.
I was the same with the 200 a year ago when I demoed it. I knew I liked it and when I put my old amp back in there was no going back. it will be interesting to see if the speakers have the same results.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear you made some progress on your demo.

The Scansonics are completely unknown to me. I haven't heard the Ushers either, though I've heard very good things about them.

I'm glad you liked the Olympicas: they're a very classy pair of speakers. Some people will say they don't compare well to the old-school Sonus fabers, but I'd beg to differ. I've heard quite a few SFs, old and new, as well as the speakers Franco Serblin made after he parted company with SF. For me the Olympicas measure up very well indeed.

I'm even gladder that you like the Martin Logans. The Vantage, though, is a discontinued model: are you sure this was what the dealer demoed? The current ML model that matches the price of the Olympicas would be the Ethos, which has a bigger panel than the Vantage.

I think you'd be surprised by how well the Martin Logans work in a smallish room. On the other hand (and I should say that there are people on the Devialet Chat Forum who'll disagree strongly with what I'm about to say) I don't think your Dev200 will drive Martin Logans well. SF and Devialet is a superb match; ML and Devialet isn't.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The dealer said they were the Advantage model at around 7k from what I remember and he said they were an old model that had been replaced. They sounded great and music filled the room. However I dont think i could have them as its my main living roon amd I think they would look out of place to be honest.

The Olympics are a beautiful looking speaker although I may have to opt for the black gloss finish if I go for them as I dont think the wodd finishes match my room once again. I will see thoough as I think that would be a shame as the look of the wood finish is gorgeous. Infact the speaker design and finish is of the highest quality.

A fun day

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Womaz said:
The dealer said they were the Advantage model at around 7k from what I remember and he said they were an old model that had been replaced. They sounded great and music filled the room. However I dont think i could have them as its my main living roon amd I think they would look out of place to be honest.

Yes, those would be the Vantage. Good speakers, I gather, very similar to my ML Montis. I know what you mean about them looking out of place. I quite like the look of mine, but they're very tall. Mrs49 wants to put some pictures on the wall behind them, and the speakers would get in the way, so the speakers may have to go upstairs to my study and make way for something shorter.

18380542819_ab40f5fe8d_k.jpg

Womaz said:
The Olympics are a beautiful looking speaker although I may have to opt for the black gloss finish if I go for them as I dont think the wodd finishes match my room once again. I will see thoough as I think that would be a shame as the look of the wood finish is gorgeous. Infact the speaker design and finish is of the highest quality.

I agree it would be a shame not to get the wood finish: it's so lovely.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok I have had the Olympicas at home for a week now. It took some time for me to get the bass right as my back wall is always a problem. So SAM set to 0% and -2db off the bass and they sound excellent.

Much fuller sound than my 23s and a lovely lovely sweet treble. A lot more clarity too.

They do lack a little bit of excitement , hard to put my finger on what it is.

A part of me thinks that I shpuld still trya nd home demo the PMC 26 if I am going to spend this much on new speakers

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
That description corrseponds to my experience of the Olympicas: lovey and sweet, nice big soundstage, but maybe there's something a tiny bit 'loose' in the presentation. But they are delightful speakers.

You should definitely get a home demo of the PMC twenty.26s

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
That description corrseponds to my experience of the Olympicas: lovey and sweet, nice big soundstage, but maybe there's something a tiny bit 'loose' in the presentation. But they are delightful speakers.

You should definitely get a home demo of the PMC twenty.26s

Yes I may still do that. Only thing I have against the PMC 20 series is the plinth is awful. On a 6k speaker I don't think it's good enough really. The SFs put them to shame on build and looks.........but I do like the PMC sound.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Womaz said:
Ok I have had the Olympicas at home for a week now. It took some time for me to get the bass right as my back wall is always a problem. So SAM set to 0% and -2db off the bass and they sound excellent.

Much fuller sound than my 23s and a lovely lovely sweet treble. A lot more clarity too.

A part of me thinks that I shpuld still trya nd home demo the PMC 26 if I am going to spend this much on new speakers

Yes I agree you really should try the PMC26 if you want a bit more reality and excitement than the SF's can provide, especially as you like the 23's so much. *smile*

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
Womaz said:

Yes I agree you really should try the PMC26 if you want a bit more reality and excitement than the SF's can provide, especially as you like the 23's so much. *smile*

i do really like the 23s , but I have a lively room and they can be a tad bright at times, the treble can be a bit harsh. The Olympicas have a gorgeous sweet treble and I doubt the 26s will be able to replicate that.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Another week listenig exclusively to the Olympicas so I decided to put the 23s back in to see how they sounded.

Now I know the Olympicas are a big step up form the 23s. The 23s sound a little thin now and tinny as my girlfriend would say. They sound boxy and have a lack of soundstage I have now got used to.

The Olympicas have a nice full sound and they really fill the room. One downside for me is that the bass can still overpower the room at times. the bass can be a bit dull

I actually prefer the bass on the 23s. Tight and punchy, but it dioes lack the impact of the Olympicas bass.

I guess what would be ideal now is if the 26s kept a lot of the 23s characteristics like the tight bass but also gave me the soundstage and and the full sound I get from the Olympicas

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The Olympicas will reach deeper than the PMC 20.23s, and the result can be that by exciting room modes (a bit like standing waves) they make the bass sound muddy at some frequencies. IMO this isn't a deficiency of the Olympicas: it's just a fact about trying to produce proper bass in a small to medium-sized room.

That's not to say you shouldn't try the PMC 20.26s. They might be just the right compromise. But I suspect they won't give you the lovely full, rich sound you're getting from the Olympicas.

What would really sell the Olympicas to me, judging by your comments, is that they don't have the 'boxy' sound of the PMCs.

Just my opinion, which may be wrong or irrelevant. *yes3*

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I to sturggle with shop demos as most speakers I demo in shop demo rooms sound nothing like they would in my living room.

I could not agree more. I have the Olympicas at home and they do sound very different to the shop

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
The Olympicas will reach deeper than the PMC 20.23s, and the result can be that by exciting room modes (a bit like standing waves) they make the bass sound muddy at some frequencies. IMO this isn't a deficiency of the Olympicas: it's just a fact about trying to produce proper bass in a small to medium-sized room.

That's not to say you shouldn't try the PMC 20.26s. They might be just the right compromise. But I suspect they won't give you the lovely full, rich sound you're getting from the Olympicas.

What would really sell the Olympicas to me, judging by your comments, is that they don't have the 'boxy' sound of the PMCs.

Just my opinion, which may be wrong or irrelevant. *yes3*

Its funny as I have never felt that the PMCs were boxy until I have had a chance to compare them to the Olympicas.

Hopefully I will get to hear the 26s too and then I can make my mind up. If I have a problem with the bass with them too then I am lost ;-)

My gut feeling is the PMC will have a tighter bass, but probably lose some of the full sound of the Olympicas.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Not surprising the speakers dem'd sounded more rounded: The price difference between the dem models and the 23 is pretty significant.

But in their price bracket the PMCs are some of the best speakers I've heard.

You are spot on, the PMCs represent excellent value in my opinion. The Olympicas are treble the price ........they are better in most regards but the law of diminishing returns applies here

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I can sort of compare what I am hearing right now with a similar situation I had last summer when I was demoing headphones. I loved the HD800 and they were a massive step up from my old AKGs. However sometimes they were a little bit bright with the treble. A little harsh for my tastes. However I then got the HE1000 on demo and they had everything the HD800 had but without the brightness. They seemed a lot more smoother and definitely more enjoyable.
I loved the look and style of the HD800, but sound wise the HE1000 just made the music more enjoyable in my opinion. Sort of how I am seeing things now with the speakers

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Have you thought about trying to listen to an old i model. The PB1i signature springs to mind. That will give you the fullness you are after.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Womaz said:
Well today was the demo day at the dealers place. First of all I think its fair to say i struggle with shop demos as it is hard to take in at times.

First off was the Scansonic MB6 - For me a massive let down. Read so much about these lately and have had some very favourable reports although albeit not for this model. In their defence they were brand new and had only had about 20 hours run in. I know this can make a huge difference, but to me they were very dull, and totally lacked in the bass department. A big disappointment for what is a beautiful looking elegant speaker.

Sonus Faber Olmpica II - loved these straight away, If i was to use one word it would be sweet. That sums them up. Lovely relaxing smooth sound. Bass was good and another beautiful looking speaker.

Usher Mind Dancer 2 - the big surprise for me. I was not expecting much from these but they sounded great too. Bass was absoultely awesome on these , and this was in a room which is not so good for bass apparently. Slight issue was that they could appear a little cloudy to me. Maybe this was the bass being a bit too much. I am not sure. Again a lovely looking speaker.

Martin Logan Vantage, dealer threw a curve ball in with these and again I loved them. Absolutely flooded the room in music. I had never heard Electrostatics before and I was well impressed. Just not so sure I could get away with their looks in my living room.

So on enjoyment , which is surely the best way to measure a speakers performance I would say Martin Logan just pipped the Sonus Fabers but it was very close and I really liked the laid back feel of the SFs. Next was the Ushers and the Scansonics trailed in well behind. Maybe a little unfair as they were brand new and not run in.

Had a great day and three of the speakers I really liked. I now have the SFs on a home demo for a week or so and I will see how I feel. Initial impressions at home in my lively room are they are very musical and very easy to listen to. Bass is excellent but my lack of room means they are close to rear wall and the bass can be a tad too much at times ( will try with SAM soon).

The 23s are certainly no slouch in comparison mind and they seem to have more attack and bite than all of the others, but as i say i will have a chance to compare more over the next few days. I was the same with the 200 a year ago when I demoed it. I knew I liked it and when I put my old amp back in there was no going back. it will be interesting to see if the speakers have the same results.

This is meant to be a tough decision ! I didnt like the look of the martin logan and how the sound mutes when someone pass beetween you and the speaker but they do sound great. Im still hooked on classical design, why dont you try to find a used harbeth speaker?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
pyrrhon said:
Womaz said:

Had a great day and three of the speakers I really liked. I now have the SFs on a home demo for a week or so and I will see how I feel. Initial impressions at home in my lively room are they are very musical and very easy to listen to. Bass is excellent but my lack of room means they are close to rear wall and the bass can be a tad too much at times ( will try with SAM soon).

The 23s are certainly no slouch in comparison mind and they seem to have more attack and bite than all of the others, but as i say i will have a chance to compare more over the next few days. I was the same with the 200 a year ago when I demoed it. I knew I liked it and when I put my old amp back in there was no going back. it will be interesting to see if the speakers have the same results.

This is meant to be a tough decision ! I didnt like the look of the martin logan and how the sound mutes when someone pass beetween you and the speaker but they do sound great. Im still hooked on classical design, why dont you try to find a used harbeth speaker?

I think judging by the speakers being demoed, no need to find used Harbs... SHL5+ approx £3200.

Any update on the SF's?

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have sort of decided it is between the SFs and the PMC26s as sometime you just have to stop reading reviews and listening to loads of speakers. Its also difficult up here in the NE to do that at times anyway.

The Olympicas have really grown on me, they might not be as accurate as the PMC brand but they seem more enjoyable to me. I have the 26s arriving for a home demo in the next couple of weeks so i guess I will make my fibal decision then.

Right now I feel the sweet sound of the Olympicas will be hard to get rid of......oh and they are probably the best looking speaker I have ever seen.

TRENDING THREADS