admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It occurs to me as I scrutinize my new Linn stuff...

Has anyone ever heard an amp that produced zero hum? Like none at all. Every piece of gear I've heard, when it was on and had the volume at normal listening levels but no source playing one could hear the faint hum/hiss if one placed their ear next to the speaker.

I used to have a technics integrated that outright buzzed when the volume was higher, this is barely audible, but there under scrutiny.

I just wonder if any hifi manufacturer has ever managed to totally eliminate this?

A

Anonymous

Why do you want to stick your ear next to the speaker?

If you don't then = no hum!

Seriously - I doubt any manufacturer has nil hum due to the very nature of electronics......

A

Anonymous

I thought so.... my ear was there whilst changing a disc. Not a total lunatic.

A

Anonymous

There is probably little point in smoothing the power supply to such a level. Soon as the music is played (which is after all what its for) the demand on the supply will make it ripple a bit anyway.

It would give a quality feel to cut it out though. Like value added, even if its of no real use.

Dont think all amps do do it tbh, but all mains ones perhaps.

A

Anonymous

i've not noticed it on my nad amp and cd player, but then i wasn't listening for it, the naim's certainly have it. you can also hear the hum from the cases if you listen (actually the g/f can hear it when she walks in the room and its quiet)

A

Anonymous

My Arcam is dead quiet unless you have the screen on dim! Bright is fine, but not dim! Even then, it's soo quiet and around the 15KHz range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts