How to upgrade receiver and speakers for a 3D system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
Last year I replaced my 10 year-old Sony projection TV with a Panasonic VT20 3D set, and a Sony DVD recorder with Panasonic BDT300 Blu-ray player.
Now it is time to do something about the sound system. I have a 1999 Sony receiver STR DA50ES (no HDMI connections, connected to BDT by 5.1 connections), two B&W CDM1 front speakers (one is slightly faulty, making hoarse noise at strong bass), two HCM 1 rear speakers (all stand-mounted), and a no-name front speaker.
Is there a way to upgrade this system, or should I completely replace the receiver and the speakers?
If the latter, then What HiFi's Best Buys in my price range are Onkyo TX-NR808 (or Sony 5400 ES which is more expensive), and B&W 685 Theatre speakers. However, I'd prefer a stand-mounted set, as the room is not very big.
The system will be used mainly for home cinema, only occasionally playing CDs. Not much internet stuff, WiFi etc.
Any advice would be mostly appreciated.
Thanks

A

Anonymous

If your BDT300 is decoding the HD audio and sending to the Sony then you are getting HD audio. The problem with the speakers then is a different matter, I would suggest you at least get a matching front pair and centre to create a cohesive sound stage. The 808 and the Sony would definitely bring upon superior performance IMO. You may want to add the pioneer LX-53 and yamaha 2067/3067 to that list too, but definitely have a demo and see which suites you best. On the B&W 685, I dont quiet understand what your are saying, as these are stand-mounts. Do you mean you want wall- mount I.e satellite type speakers, if so I recommend you look at B&W M1 or MA Radius HD range/Apex, of course you will need a subwoofer to support those type of systems too.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I am getting HD audio via 5.1 analogue connections. However, the Sony receiver does not have HDMI connections to connect to the TV and to a satellite receiver, so I thought I'd need a new one. Re: B&W 685, yes they are stand-mounts, I looked at a wrong photo - sorry for the confusion. Thanks a lot.

A

Anonymous

If your happy with your AVR you could just run the HDMI from your STB & blu ray to the TV direct and then use your AVR for audio. But I agree it is easier with everything running through an AVR first (and of your like me, any excuse to upgrade is a good one). I am sure you would be happy with the 685 and they would match really well with the 808 or LX-53 (which the one I would go for).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts