How to interpret WHF conclusion?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Reading the latest Group test with a review of the ATC SCM11 speakers (here) it says "Against: Make sure your amp can drive them (around 100W per channel)".

How should I interpret this conclusion?

Does it mean you just require an Amp with sufficient power per channel, but you can play it at low volume and still keep the quality sound?

Or does it mean you require an Amp with sufficient power per channel, so you can turn up the volume a bit and feed it with some power to get the good quality sound?

I'm definitely a very, very newbie where it concerns quality HiFi, but these conlusional remarks always confuse me.

Who can explain it to me?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The ATCs have a low sensitivity, so they require more watts pumped in the back to produce the same amount of volume from the front, as a more efficient speaker would with a lower power input.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chris

That's clear, it not a very efficient power converter.

But would it be able to play at low output volume with the quality it appears to have?

A

Anonymous

avanegmond:
Thanks Chris

That's clear, it not a very efficient power converter.

But would it be able to play at low output volume with the quality it appears to have?
i own a pair of atcs and they sound great at low volume but they really sing at medium to high volumes, id reccomend them all day long.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Fowler for your sharing your experiences.

I am interested in combining it with the new Roksan K2 myself.

I will now put it on my short list and see if I can listen to it somewhere.

Hi Avanegmond

I have sold ATC's (including SCM11's) to Roksan owners so they work well.

Btw, you may also be interested to know that in many of the demonstrations that i have done with ATC speakers over the last few years i have often used a modestly powered/priced 50w/ch £275.00 amplifier to demonstrate the ATC speakers. If this amplifier can power them sufficiently and provide a good enough signal output than i think it's safe to say that the K2 will be more than effective in opening up the ATC's stunning drive units performance potential even further.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Rick

Also thanks to you for confirming the compatibility of this combination.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts