How to get sound from stereo RCA outputs on Denon 3800BD ?

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Just getting to grips with the complexities of my new BD player(Denon 3800 BD), it is connected via HDMI to my Yamaha RX-V1900 receiver, which through it's pre-outs for front speakers is connected to my Kandy K2. Here's what I want.....I have the Denon connected to my Kandy direct through it's L and R stereo RCA connectors, as i want to use it with the 2 channel amp as an alternate to my NAD cd player. I can't seem to find an 'audio-priority' selector on my Denon as it wants to output sound via the HDMI not the L and R audio out. On my old Sony S5500 there is a selector on the audio menu for audio priority allowing you to select either HDMI or coaxial/optical or analogue audio out......thought there would be something similar on the Denon.....but can't seem to find it in the set-up menu.....and don't want to have to unplug the HDMI cable just to play a CD....surely I'm missing something.......you must be able to set the audio priority....? Wife is getting annoyed at me messing around....."You just spent £350 on the new NAD why do you want to play CDs on the Blu-Ray".....I'm just curious......

Anybody ?

A

Anonymous

Are you sure you have connected the Kandy to the [pre-outs] on the Denon?

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
No.....the front preout connections on the Yamaha are connected to the video output on the Kandy which is set to bypass so the yamaha volume control works with the front speakers which are connected straight into the Kandy. The Denon is connected only by HDMI to my Receiver and by the Stereo L and R connectors to the Kandy....

I have worked out how to switch HDMI sound off this only gives me the option for the 7.1 analougue connectors not the 2 channel

A

Anonymous

Not sure if I'm confused, hence I'm sure I'm confused. You've connected your BD player to your Yamaha via HDMI, which in turn you should connect to your Kandy via phono through it's pre-out connections. Then connect the Yamaha to your TV via HDMI. I'm sorry if I'm not grasping you.

Or are you saying you want to control the Kandy volume via the Yamaha controller? Sorry I'm a bit slow.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Ok back to basics I want to know how to change the 'audio priority' on the Denon 3800BD so that it outputs sound via the L and R stereo connections......

I can turn the HDMI audio off but it then only gives me options for digital audio out or the 7.1 analogues nothing for the 2 channel...

daveh75

Octopo:Not sure if I'm confused, hence I'm sure I'm confused. You've connected your BD player to your Yamaha via HDMI, which in turn you should connect to your Kandy via phono through it's pre-out connections. Then connect the Yamaha to your TV via HDMI. I'm sorry if I'm not grasping you.

The OP is using one set of speakers for both stereo and A/V Front L+R duties.So will be set up similar to below.

1) The front left and right preouts of the A/V Receiver go to an line input on the stereo amp

2) The op's stereo amp(kandy)has a fixed-level/HT input especially for this purpose....
But if it didn't,then you'd set the volume of the stereo amp to about halfway and run the speaker calibration routine on the receiver.

This volume setting is then used on the stereo amp whenever you watch AV-Overall volume is then handled by the receiver.

3) When watching/listening to AV,both amps are on - the stereo amp will handle the front speakers, the AV amp will handle the rest.

4) When listening to stereo, the AV amp is off/out of the equation so doesn't degrade the sound.

5)The op is using his BD player for Blu-Ray duties and as a stereo source.So has it connected to his A/V receiver via HDMI for HD/Multi channel sound, and also connected via it's stereo/analogue outputs directly to his Roksan Kandy for stereo playback.

Though none of which is actually relevent to the original question- Of how to get the BDP to output sound via it's stereo outputs!

Having just had a look at the manual online-I'm still none the wiser on that!

daveh75

lcd4ever:Well put daveh75.....couldn't have put it better myself.....Cheers...... Though,i've looked through the manual for 3800BD several times now but cant find the answer to your problem.

The manual is pretty unclear/useless TBH-Poor show Denon.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Done the same myself tonight dave.......just thought I'd compare it with the NAD using same amp and speakers....sounds so simple....I wouldn't bother so much but I bought a new set of Chord Cobra 3's just to keep all parameters the same......

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
The only thing I can think of is to connect the Kandy to the Front L and R of the 7.1 analogues then downmix to 2 CH stereo output....but why put the 2 CH analogues on if you can't use them.....?

TRENDING THREADS